What causes fat accumulation in the liver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other then alcohol abuse, what other things can cause fat accumulation in the liver? Thanks for the 411.

Members don't see this ad.

It would seem logical that eating fatty foods would cause a fatty liver, but this is not the case. The liver does play an important role in the metabolism or breakdown of fats. Something goes wrong in this process of metabolism, but it is still not known what does cause fat to build-up in the liver. It is known that fat accumulates in the liver with a number of conditions. The most common is obesity. Fatty liver is also associated with diabetes mellitus, high blood triglycerides, and the heavy use of alcohol. It may occur with certain illnesses such as tuberculosis and malnutrition, intestinal bypass surgery for obesity, excess vitamin A in the body, or the use of certain drugs such as valproic acid (trade names: Depakene/Depakote) and corticosteroids (cortisone, prednisone). Sometimes fatty liver occurs as a complication of pregnancy.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdlv37.htm

Usually the most common causes are:

- alcohol
- hepatitis (B, C)
- pregnancy
- exposure to carbon tetrachloride
- prolonged parenteral nutrition (e.g., TPN)
- some types of trauma (not that common)
- medications

Obesity and food-related causes of fatty liver are news to me. Evidently I missed that in Robbins. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
<removed for stupidity reasons>

Sorry I was going to put one up but it was already there

AK