What Cell phone service provider do you guys use in the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocReymundo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that residents communicate by cell phone (as well as page) and sometimes they communicate with the medical student via phone as well. I get no signal with virgin mobile. I heard T-mobile is terrible. What other cell phone service providers have great signal within the hospitalI?

Members don't see this ad.

As SouthernSurgeon points out, this is going to depend entirely on your specific hospital. However...

When in doubt, it has been my experience that Verizon has the best overall coverage. You will pay more than other carriers, but while there was some debate in my head up to 3-4 years ago, I have not run into an instance where Verizon's coverage wasn't superior. Our hospital seems to have noticed too and either provides Verizon phones for us, or heavily subsidizes them to encourage the rest to use it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm rotating at a remote rural hospital and have been using Verizon. Sometimes the signal drops down to 3G network inside the building but it always works.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for feedback you guys! I was crossing my fingers that you wouldn't say Verizon lol. It's so expensive.

t mobile can use wifi calling, so signal shouldnt be an issue

Verizon at my hospital is the best as well.

AT&T is a decently close second

T-mobile is terrible, at least for medical students.

All carriers can do this with a google number. But, this depends on good enough/consistent enough wifi throughout a hospital, which is not always guarenteed.
No, T-Mobile's wireless calling is way cooler than a google number (which would still need a cellular signal on another carrier). All hospitals I've rotated at have wifi throughout the hospital grounds. T-Mobile uses that signal to give you reception everywhere, even in the basement, OR, etc. It's amazing. I actually rotated in areas like Alaska where there is no tmobile, but got amazing reception because I was using wifi. Even if I end up matching in residency to a place without T-mobile, I will be keeping them as my provider because the wifi-calling is so awesome.

I have Sprint. I almost never have service unless I stand by a window. But hey! I have unlimited data for 99/mo!