What classes are now required by dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnTran1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school definitely screwed me over this upcoming fall. I'm a transfer student and they are not giving me a registration date so the freshman are taking over the chemistry and biology courses available. I now need a plan b option because taking chemistry or biology is out of the question as of now. Was wondering what courses I'll eventually have to take? I'm not a science major by the way!

Members don't see this ad.

well you need chem in order to take orgo, and need lower level bio classes to take microbio or biochem (unless you can take them at your school without any prerequisites), you can still take calc, physics, english and anatomy! all the underlined are pre-reqs!

first semester: calc 1, physics 1 w/ lab, english 1, anatomy (pre req at a couple schools)
second semester: calc 2 or stats, physics 2 w/ lab, english 2

third semester: bio 1, chem 1 w/ lab
fourth semester: bio 2, chem 2 w/ lab

fifth semester: orgo 1 w/ lab, physio (would help you with the DAT)
sixth semester: orgo 2 w/ lab, biochem, microbio (would help you with the DAT)

take your DAT either winter break of third year (you will have to study orgo 2 on your own, using Chad, it's doable), or over the summer right after your third year

good luck!

Thank you for your response 7amsho! What if I already finished calculus? Also when applying during summer, would I still have time to apply to the first batch if I were to take my DAT in the summer? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you took calculus, then it's even better! you can take anatomy maybe, or more classes related to your major!

as for the DATs, you can take them that summer and still be a very early applicant, check that thread to understand how the timeline works:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-first-batch-hullabaloo.1065887/

here's a really good plan for you to work on, which I wish I did.. over winter break before the summer in which you will be taking your DATs, study QR, GC, half OC and BIO, and get CPD. Make review notes as well as flashcards and go over your notes and flashcards over the semester, while practicing PAT. Once the semester is over, study the rest of OC and go over everything for 2 weeks, then give yourself 2 more weeks for practice tests then take the test! I think this way you would be saving yourself 4 extra weeks of studying and applying even earlier if that is a big concern for you

Ohh okay I definitely understand the process now thank you so much! I'm not sure whether or not I am able to take physics this upcoming semester as well.. Do you think this schedule would work out better?

Second Semester -
Chem 1/Bio 1

Summer Chem -
Chem 2

Third Sem -
Ochem 1/ Bio 2

Fourth Sem -
Phys 1

Fifth Sem -
Phys 2

Assuming I don't take courses such as microbio, anatomy, etc. would this make it better since physics is not on the DAT and I can just study while taking physics?

I would be careful regarding taking pre-requisites over the summer, most schools don't like that at all! i strongly encourage you figuring a plan out that makes you take all pre-reqs over a full semester

I would be careful regarding taking pre-requisites over the summer, most schools don't like that at all!

What is your source? I have never heard of anyone running into issues with summer quarter/semester courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Browsing this forum a lot, I too have not heard of summer school being a problem but I'm sure you have a great explanation 7amsho!

Nothing like doing your homework.

My school advisors told me so. We have really good pre-health advisors at my school and they always tell me to make sure I get my important courses completed over full semesters. Summer courses are usually easier and done in shorter periods, so not only you don't learn as much as you would during a whole semester, but your grade wouldn't be competing with most of the other applicants' grade that resulted from a semester long course.

Plus I just looked up online, and here's what I found:

-"Normally, we don’t recommend taking key requirements in summer school at junior colleges." https://www.jsd.claremont.edu/prehealth/FAQ.asp

-"It is however, not desirable to take premedical sciences over the summer, except in unusual circumstances." http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/preprofessional/health/premedical_curriculum

-"taking science pre requisites at a CC during the summer is universally frowned on" http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1209966-taking-prerequisites-over-the-summer.html

-"It is possible to take one of your four pre-health sequences in the summer. It is best not to do more than that." http://uss.tufts.edu/hpa/AcademicPrep/

My school advisors told me so. We have really good pre-health advisors at my school and they always tell me to make sure I get my important courses completed over full semesters. Summer courses are usually easier and done in shorter periods, so not only you don't learn as much as you would during a whole semester, but your grade wouldn't be competing with most of the other applicants' grade that resulted from a semester long course.

Plus I just looked up online, and here's what I found:

-"Normally, we don’t recommend taking key requirements in summer school at junior colleges." https://www.jsd.claremont.edu/prehealth/FAQ.asp

-"It is however, not desirable to take premedical sciences over the summer, except in unusual circumstances." http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/preprofessional/health/premedical_curriculum

-"taking science pre requisites at a CC during the summer is universally frowned on" http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1209966-taking-prerequisites-over-the-summer.html

-"It is possible to take one of your four pre-health sequences in the summer. It is best not to do more than that." http://uss.tufts.edu/hpa/AcademicPrep/

Why did you bother to provide sources if we can easily browse them ourselves to see how you've taken them out of context? The first and third links aren't pertinent. OP never said anything the summer courses being taken at a JC. The other two links discuss 1) making sure that you're putting time into non-academic areas so you'll be well-rounded and 2) if you take a summer pre-req, continue taking a full course load during non-summer semesters. Please don't distribute misleading information.

@JohnTran1 : In conclusion, try to avoid taking credits at at a JC, whether it be summer, spring, or when hell freezes over. If you're at a 4-year college, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking summer classes and there is no chance it'll hurt your application. I doubt you'd be able to find anybody else who would claim otherwise.

Why did you bother to provide sources if we can easily browse them ourselves to see how you've taken them out of context?
Just so in case you, or anyone else would interpret it differently.

Please don't distribute misleading information.
I am not distributing misleading information as I said "I would be careful" and "My advisors told me so". I did NOT make up anything, or tried to make false statements to post them around. I am simply trying to help OP with what I know. I told OP why I think doing so and so is right/wrong, and how I figured that out.

If you have different input, just post it and help OP out. We are NOT adcoms, so we probably don't know everything perfectly.. but still trying to help others out

peace

Last edited:
My school definitely screwed me over this upcoming fall. I'm a transfer student and they are not giving me a registration date so the freshman are taking over the chemistry and biology courses available. I now need a plan b option because taking chemistry or biology is out of the question as of now. Was wondering what courses I'll eventually have to take? I'm not a science major by the way!

In this kind of situation, YOUR FIRST COURSE OF ACTION IS TO EMAIL THE PROFESSOR AND ASK TO GET INTO THE CLASS.

I don't think this has been mentioned (though I only skimmed), but seriously, you don't just immediately resort to plan B when you can't get into a class. By sending thoughtful e-mails that explained my situation and politely asked to be added to a class, I probably was able to get into 5-6 classes during undergrad that were otherwise "full." I only had one teacher ever turn me down, and that was because the department wouldn't let the teachers add people at the time--I eventually got in.

Oh, and you have to be diligent about checking the courses online and seeing if any slots have opened up. I once found that a slot had opened up at 2 AM for a class that was otherwise very hard to get in to.

Professors want students in their classes who are A) conscientious, B) motivated, and C) actually want to be the in the course. If you send an effective e-mail, you will come across as all three of these things.

Too bad my school had automatic list systems where the professor had no control. I just got lucky I think .

OP! I just thought about this (thanks to @Glimmer1991 's post, which made me remember), check with your advisor for force registration! I know my school has this!

Just so in case you, or anyone else would interpret it differently.

I am not distributing misleading information as I said "I would be careful" and "My advisors told me so". I did NOT make up anything, or tried to make false statements to post them around. I am simply trying to help OP with what I know. I told OP why I think doing so and so is right/wrong, and how I figured that out.

If you have different input, just post it and help OP out. We are NOT adcoms, so we probably don't know everything perfectly.. but still trying to help others out

peace

Appreciate the intent to help, but there was no need to go out of your way to pull info out of context just to try to validate your original claim. Bad info is bad info, regardless of intent.

To OP: As others have since stated, even with auto list systems in place, oftentimes professors have the ability to sign a form and manually add you to a class. I've had the experience of sitting in on classes for weeks, doing all the work, and taking all exams, with no guarantee a professor would add me unless enrolled students dropped. The problem is that there are safety and fire codes that schools and instructors must adhere to. Sometimes, a professor will be unable to add you no matter how much they want to. This is especially true for many pre-req classes that have attached labs. Labs will have strict seat limits and no compromise is possible.