What classes should I take my freshman year of college?

etherealsolvent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a public health/nutritional science major. I've read that it's common in college to double up on sciences in college and I don't want to that because I don't think I can handle it especially my first year of college. I NEED to start of strong. Anyways, for my science class next year I want to take Gen Chem because I'm doing AP Chem this year and I feel that it would make gen chem a whole lot easier next year. What other classes should I take? What suggestions do you guys have? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I took gen chem after taking AP chem senior year. I ended up not struggling in a class that is supposedly on of the toughest weed outs at my school. So I'd definitely recommend taking gen chem

For your 2nd science how difficult are the other pre med reqs at your school? I'm also not sure what your plans are for college (ie what you want to be involved in) but I'd recommend taking an easier science class (maybe one of your major's intro classes?) to help you adjust to college

usually gen chem 1 and gen bio 1 is a common (and good) choice

then take two ge's or a language or some bs elective for your other 2 classes

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh hi I'm a freshman nutritional science major right now :) you may be me next year. Right now I just took gen chem, biology, statistics and this one fluffy seminar class that all freshman must take their freshman year of college. I didn't find this course load hard but that may be because I have taken the AP versions of all of those classes in high school. Taking general chemistry and biology in one semester is intimidating but completely doable if you discipline yourself and it helps if you already have a strong chemistry background. My advice is if you do decide to double up on sciences, make sure those are your only hard classes and take a low number of hours your first semester. I only took 12 my first semester. If you decide to stick with one science, pick chemistry. But I really encourage you to double up and just take bio and chem at the same time.

I think everyone should have an early taste of the topics you never got to try in high school - philosophy being the big one. I also enjoyed some random intro levels I took in world musics, archaeological hoaxes, that sort of thing. Just try a bunch of stuff that seems like it might be fun and interesting, before you have to start doing mostly upper levels for your major.

I'd take classes that will count toward your core requirements. This way you can ease into college life and enjoy your first semester without the pressure of success you woul feel in science-heavy courses. Core requirements can be really enjoyable and give you the benefit of exploring things you'd like to learn about while progressing towards graduation.

Just my 2 cents.

Take whatever classes the athletes take. Easiest A's possible.