What classes to take this semester for OAT?

nc2tarheels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking the OAT in the near future. Here's the classes I DO have.
Bio I and Bio II (also have an Environmental Bio class to total 3)
Chem I
Physics I
Stats I (i know this isn't on there)
Psych I (i know this isn't on there)

I'll have one more semester to take classes before I take the OAT. I'm just not sure which ones I should take to prioritize.
Chem II? Or should I just take Organic Chem?
How about more Bio Classes?
Biochem?
Cellular Bio?
What about Physics II? I heard that there's not much on the OAT that's from Physics II so I could just study the section that it'll cover....?

All help is appreciated! THANKS!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be taking the OAT in the near future. Here's the classes I DO have.
Bio I and Bio II (also have an Environmental Bio class to total 3)
Chem I
Physics I
Stats I (i know this isn't on there)
Psych I (i know this isn't on there)

I'll have one more semester to take classes before I take the OAT. I'm just not sure which ones I should take to prioritize.
Chem II? Or should I just take Organic Chem?
How about more Bio Classes?
Biochem?
Cellular Bio?
What about Physics II? I heard that there's not much on the OAT that's from Physics II so I could just study the section that it'll cover....?

All help is appreciated! THANKS!!!!!

You'll definitely need Physics II, it's got that section on Optics thats kind of important.

I didn't see anything beyond bio II that would help when I took the test.

I think Chem II is generally required for Orgo? In any case taking both prior to the test is highly recommended unless you happen to be a chem whiz and know all the material. I can recall questions dealing with aromaticity from orgo II as well.

As for biochem and all the other upper division classes I don't really see the need. Its a pretty straightforward test and I can say those classes didn't really give a competitive edge of any kind.

Thanks! At my school, you can take Organic Chem without having Chem II. I thought it was odd, but that's what they say. Anyway, should I take Chem II or Organic? Which is the easier one to teach yourself or should I say, which one has more stuff on the OAT? I really wanna have both, but I wanna be able to apply this fall for the upcoming year of 2010

Eh tough call. I'd reccomend having your two full years of chem under your belt before taking the test. Get at least 2/3 of them (Chem II Orgo I and Orgo II) this fall/spring and take the test as soon as spring semesters over in may.

As for picking a lesser of the evils

Chem II:
Try oxidation-reduction problems from a Chem II book

Orgo II:
Aromaticity problems, Epoxides, rearrangement problems

Members don't see this ad :)
should be ok. It's common place to take analytical and physical chemistry at the same time, why not orgo/gen chem.