What 'climate' does your school have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm interested----

What sort of 'climate' does your school have? I mean are the students
encouraged and are they excited about coming to class or being
at the school at all? Or is there an atmosphere of fear and intimidation?

Just curious?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm interested----

Just curious?
Well from the sound of things my school's administration will eat your soul. And then make you walk to class everyday through 7 feet of snow without a soul to keep you warm and happy, and enforce a dress code as an excuse to keep you from freezing.

The climate at LECOM is colder than the weather!! Intimidation, harsh criticism and GROUP PUNISHMENT are the prevailing philosophies. Seriously though, the "climate" of learning at a medical school is a legitimate question. And a letting people know that LECOM makes the campus as uncomfortable as possible is important to warn my future peers...you will be disappointed when you begin school here!

It goes beyond the dress code...which at first isn't bad but like all the rules here, you eventually get sick of them and fail to see the reason for most of LECOM's endless policies! More frustrating yet are endless rule changes that are never in the student's benefit!

So, In the words of our dean of faculty improvement when responding to student concerns: "get over it!!" :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm interested----

Just curious?

Our school's climate is encouraging because of a number of factors:

1. the faculty and staff- (who make themselves available and are genuinely concerned about our evolution as future physicians)

2. Our fellow students-I can't begin to tell you how great it is to have others who help support you. The upperclassmen and members of your own class. The coursework and expectations can be hard on a medical student, but somehow the load doesn't seem as much to bear when you have that support network.

Personally, I love my school!:love: I am not a morning person so sometimes early morning lectures can be a bit tough on me, but I am motivated by what I learn and what I get out of being at the school rather than sitting at home in self-inflicted isolation!!

The only negative thing about the environment at PCOM is that I can't think of a negative thing to say, which makes my post pointless. sorry

A combination of Mediterranean and arid desert climates. Average 30 days of measurable precipitation per year.

:D I know, I know....I couldn't resist.

COMP has quite a friendly atmosphere, and the faculty are generally welcoming and available. Our dean is a well spoken, friendly, and outgoing guy with whom we regularly cross paths...either out around campus or when he drops into the lecture hall between classes.

The vibe among students is quite cooperative, both within classes and between classes, sort of a 'we're all in this together' kind of thing.

Hm, I think this is an interesting question. I'm not even sure how to appropriately address it.

To be quite honest, I think that "climate" is a percieved notion and it depends on the individual. For instance, in 1st and 2nd year, some people were stressing, attending classes, and all hyped. Me, on the other hand, as time progressed, only attended classes that I found educationally productive. I didn't get all stressed, I just tried to do what I could or wanted for that matter.

UMDNJ is not competitive; at least I don't believe we have that type of "climate." I think we have a lot of high school level drama BS, which is probably more annoying than educational stress.

Life is what you percieve it to be. Relative variability? haha.

Hm, I think this is an interesting question. I'm not even sure how to appropriately address it.

To be quite honest, I think that "climate" is a percieved notion and it depends on the individual. For instance, in 1st and 2nd year, some people were stressing, attending classes, and all hyped. Me, on the other hand, as time progressed, only attended classes that I found educationally productive. I didn't get all stressed, I just tried to do what I could or wanted for that matter.

UMDNJ is not competitive; at least I don't believe we have that type of "climate." I think we have a lot of high school level drama BS, which is probably more annoying than educational stress.

wait a minute, wait a minute...high school drama...? well that's just not good news at all :)

Well, it sucks when you move like 700 miles from home. I've pretty well dissassociated myself from med students. At least the lame ones. I think. Unless I am one. Damn introspective nature.

It's a well known fact that how much you like your school is inversely correlated with how much time you actually spend there. This effect is cumulative, as well, which explains why most premeds are extremely satisfied with their schools until they begin...it's all downhill after that first day ;) .

id have to go to school more than just OMM lab and tests to acurately judge the weight of this question.

;)

so is this a general trend at umd? Judging by the few current students who post on sdn, that seems to be the case. I, on the other hand, get really paranoid if I need to miss a class. And it's not because I really learn all that much in class, just my personality I guess.:)

Well, it sucks when you move like 700 miles from home. I've pretty well dissassociated myself from med students. At least the lame ones. I think. Unless I am one. Damn introspective nature.

where did you move from? that's interesting because that's exactly the feeling i got when a couple of your classmates showed us around during the interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
so is this a general trend at umd? Judging by the few current students who post on sdn, that seems to be the case. I, on the other hand, get really paranoid if I need to miss a class. And it's not because I really learn all that much in class, just my personality I guess.:)

UMD?

i go to PCOM

there's no need to be paranoid when all classes are recorded and available online in mp3 format ...and you have a scibe service that gives you printed notes of what the professor said during class....if those services weren't available I would be at every class in person though

I do a mix of the above and attending class. I actually prefer to go to the easier "fluff" classes in person so I can just take in the main point and write down the few things that I think they will test on. In contrast, I prefer to do the more complicated and clinically important lectures on my own w/ the mp3. Its not that I don't like the professor or the material, its just that sometimes its extremely beneficial for me to be able to stop, pause, rewind the lecture as necessary so I have time to get the main points and take adaquate notes.

That being said, I couldn't really wish for a better environment at PCOM. Of course there are some negative aspects and students anywhere, but the good greatly outweighs the bad IMO

Actually, I like UMDNJ. I just can't sit in classes for eight hours a day. I actually begin to distract others. When I did go all day, all I did was BS with my neighbour.

I moved from Detroit.

there's no need to be paranoid when all classes are recorded and available online in mp3 format ...and you have a scibe service that gives you printed notes of what the professor said during class....if those services weren't available I would be at every class in person though

I do a mix of the above and attending class. I actually prefer to go to the easier "fluff" classes in person so I can just take in the main point and write down the few things that I think they will test on. In contrast, I prefer to do the more complicated and clinically important lectures on my own w/ the mp3. Its not that I don't like the professor or the material, its just that sometimes its extremely beneficial for me to be able to stop, pause, rewind the lecture as necessary so I have time to get the main points and take adaquate notes.

That being said, I couldn't really wish for a better environment at PCOM. Of course there are some negative aspects and students anywhere, but the good greatly outweighs the bad IMO

oh I understand that..I just think I have time management issues if left to my own devices...sadly...well at least in college going to class helped me stay on top of things.:)

Actually, I like UMDNJ. I just can't sit in classes for eight hours a day. I actually begin to distract others. When I did go all day, all I did was BS with my neighbour.

I moved from Detroit.

how useful was new student orientation day (if you attended of course)?

So have you ever had professors get upset at low class attendance and
turn the recordings off? Or go back later and delete them? I've heard of
that happening recently......

So have you ever had professors get upset at low class attendance and
turn the recordings off? Or go back later and delete them? I've heard of
that happening recently......

Wow, I wouldn't think that should be allowed if recordings are promised to the students. At my school, our student run notegroups are responsible for recording and posting the lectures, so that couldn't happen. I guess that's an advantage of our system.

Wow, I wouldn't think that should be allowed if recordings are promised to the students. At my school, our student run notegroups are responsible for recording and posting the lectures, so that couldn't happen. I guess that's an advantage of our system.

Actually the professor turned the recording off and told the scribes not to scribe the lecture just the other daybecause of low attendance....................................in the end the notes got out. Most really don't care.

I don't think I went to like orientation...or accepted students day...whatever it is here. To be honest, I don't know how I would find that helpful? I think I came back, found an apt, went back home, and then moved here. (shrugs)

Actually the professor turned the recording off and told the scribes not to scribe the lecture just the other daybecause of low attendance....................................in the end the notes got out. Most really don't care.

Wow, that sounds like something worthy of complaining to a dean about. If attendance isn't required, it isn't required. If recordings are promised, they should be made. We have the occasional professor who makes snide remarks about low class attendance, but that's it.

Wow, that sounds like something worthy of complaining to a dean about. If attendance isn't required, it isn't required. If recordings are promised, they should be made. We have the occasional professor who makes snide remarks about low class attendance, but that's it.

Yeah, and it's particularly annoying when they start a class during the week right before an exam block and then wonder why nobody shows up. :thumbup:

{Doctor Bagel} ;)

The climate at Touro - California is very friendly amongst the students, with a rather left leaning student body who make a collective effort not to let med school ruin their lives (though that's somewhat unavoidable.) The professors and students generally have a very positive relationship, we all just want everyone to get through this. The administration at the school is generally hostile to both students and faculty.

Class attendance - well, here at the end of the second year is pretty low. It's way higher first year. We have three required labs a week (OMM, Path, and Primary Care Skills) so everyone shows up for that, most of the time.

Overall, the feeling is casual and friendly. I can't imagine what its like to have a dress code. Dress code = the opposite of Touro-CA.

Overall, the feeling is casual and friendly. I can't imagine what its like to have a dress code. Dress code = the opposite of Touro-CA.

I think a dress code would be horrible. Yes, I know it's not a big deal to some people, but I'd just hate it. I also would hate an attendance policy because I think going to class isn't the most time efficient way to study for me.

Any opinions on the climate at CCOM?

and you'd run right into the 'Welcome to Medical School' response. Even though the students are the ones pushing the buttons and are told that
the faculty/administration have nothing to do with the recordings, supposedly professors still have the right, due to intellectual property rights, to decline to be recorded. To use the recordings we have to sign a contract saying we
won't post them to the web, etc.

It's interesting---when we bring things up through channels we're told -- 'Welcome to Medical School' ....and we're supposedly in the top percentage of medical schools. Makes me wonder about health care in the U.S........

You learn to ignore it and just resolve not to support the school with $$$ once you graduate.....

You learn to ignore it and just resolve not to support the school with $$$ once you graduate.....

Unfortunately, I've had too many of those moments already. :( What I'm wondering is whether this whole cr@ppy, secretive, fairly unsupportive admin thing is a problem everywhere or if it's just at some schools.

Our school's climate is encouraging because of a number of factors:

1. the faculty and staff- (who make themselves available and are genuinely concerned about our evolution as future physicians)

2. Our fellow students-I can't begin to tell you how great it is to have others who help support you. The upperclassmen and members of your own class. The coursework and expectations can be hard on a medical student, but somehow the load doesn't seem as much to bear when you have that support network.

Personally, I love my school!:love: I am not a morning person so sometimes early morning lectures can be a bit tough on me, but I am motivated by what I learn and what I get out of being at the school rather than sitting at home in self-inflicted isolation!!

I am not gonna waste my time typing up a post when this is perfect.

I hear you on the 'drama' stuff....

At our school, every class starts out with 'This is the hardest class you'll
ever have'.....

It turns out that it's not difficult material....just way disorganized in it's
presentation and the people teaching don't know their subject nor are they
interested in teaching.....but they have to teach to maintain their research
positions......

I almost busted out laughing during our neuro course when we had a
clinician come in to go over some cases with us just to integrate the
topic. He looked over one case and one of the questions and said something like," I can tell it wasn't a clinician who wrote this. You'll never see this presentation in clinic and we simply wouldn't use this type of language to
discuss it if we did see it. This is written by a Ph.D who wants to test your ability to remember minutiae." and he was looking straight at the course director (a Ph.D) when he said it........

I hear you on the 'drama' stuff....

At our school, every class starts out with 'This is the hardest class you'll
ever have'.....

It turns out that it's not difficult material....just way disorganized in it's
presentation and the people teaching don't know their subject nor are they
interested in teaching.....but they have to teach to maintain their research
positions......

I almost busted out laughing during our neuro course when we had a
clinician come in to go over some cases with us just to integrate the
topic. He looked over one case and one of the questions and said something like," I can tell it wasn't a clinician who wrote this. You'll never see this presentation in clinic and we simply wouldn't use this type of language to
discuss it if we did see it. This is written by a Ph.D who wants to test your ability to remember minutiae." and he was looking straight at the course director (a Ph.D) when he said it........

Pros: I haven't really had a chance to reach out to much of the faculty at DMU (I don't go to class unless I am forced into it with a wooden stick) but the few I have are pretty good; we have a professor that brews his own beer and I, being an avid brew master in training was able to sample some of his work. The Deans, although intimidating at times, are very easy to reach. I had a problem not too long ago and I was received with open arms, which was one of the main reasons I' am still here. There isn't much open competitiveness, sure there is a number one and there is a number 218 (the last) but, I have no clue who they are (no one brags). Also, most people are very willing to help out other students: as evidenced in our student HDD which members or our class frequently make up, at no cost, study guides; no clue where they get the time to do these but, more power to them. I have met some really awesome people here that I know will be friends of mine for many years to come.
Complaints: Sometimes I feel like I go to a high school. We are constantly reminded to be "professional" and not do this or that. At the beginning of the year it was very annoying as we were reminded of it on a regular basis with emails and presentations. I get from that amount of time spent on one topic that some of the other classes must have really screwed up somewhere. Also, as someone else wrote, there is high school drama with students. I don't think you can get away from this. Some people seem to be really fake and superficial while others are the nicest people you will ever meet. Thankfully, I have met more of the tolerable kind than the superficial bunch. I guess it may also stem from the different personalities one sees. I for one do not like to talk about school when I am not studying and find relaxation is not in the pages of Netter. However, some people I have met you would be hard pressed to get their name out of them without first hearing about every test they have taken in the last week or why they are, in fact, better than you are.

Hmm, sounds a bit like a commercial, sorry.

Maybe someone already said this... but I was looking through the PCOM handbook and noticed that the policy is actually that attendance policy is at the professor's discretion.

Sorry if I'm repeating... don't have time to finish reading the post.

Maybe someone already said this... but I was looking through the PCOM handbook and noticed that the policy is actually that attendance policy is at the professor's discretion.

You are correct it is at the professor's discretion. And most lectures are not mandatory. At the being of each term we are informed which of our classes are mandatory, and for the most part those are labs and pre-lab lectures.

There was more to the incident than can be adequatley explained: Short version.

Class was not required.
Class was not called a review.
Class was a review (he gave out the answers).
The tape was shut off and no scribe was paid for it.
People scribed the lecture and gave it to some of their friends.
Some one gave it to the whole class.
Everyone was happy, well except maybe the professor.

^ what school and class did this happen in???

-WC