What college is best for pre-vet medicine?

prevetmaj90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a senior in high school and I have recently received most of my letters from the colleges I applied to. I plan on being a pre-vet major in college but I don't know what college is best for my major. The three schools I am between right now are Rutgers University, CUNY Hunter College, and Stony Brook University. I want to go to a college that offers internships and opportunities to actually work with animals which is why I'm leaning more towards Rutgers or Stony Brook. However, Hunter is a good school and the tuition is minimal but I don't know if it's good for pre-veterinary medicine since they don't really offer many internship opportunities. HELP?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am a senior in high school and I have recently received most of my letters from the colleges I applied to. I plan on being a pre-vet major in college but I don't know what college is best for my major. The three schools I am between right now are Rutgers University, CUNY Hunter College, and Stony Brook University. I want to go to a college that offers internships and opportunities to actually work with animals which is why I'm leaning more towards Rutgers or Stony Brook. However, Hunter is a good school and the tuition is minimal but I don't know if it's good for pre-veterinary medicine since they don't really offer many internship opportunities. HELP?!?!

The simple answer is: there is no one school best for being pre-vet. I would advise you to go to the least expensive of your options, do well in your coursework and seek out nearby veterinary experiences. Just because a school doesn't offer many internship opportunities does not mean that you can't find your own :) Connect with your professors and start networking with nearby veterinarians and you should have little problem finding great experiences in the field.

Edited to add: You don't have to be a pre-vet major to get into vet school either. As long as you take the appropriate pre-requisite courses, you'll be eligible.

Last edited:
Absolutely agreed. Go to whatever school provides the appropriate prereqs, do well in them, and get as much clinical experience as you can. You don't have to be a "pre-vet" major. I know people who were humanities majors but rocked all their hard science pre-reqs and had a ton of experience and got in first try.

Most internships and things like that are pursued outside of school anyways. Of course, some school-offered ones are helpful, but there are always ways around that. Considering the debt:salary ratio of veterinary medicine, I would absolutely pick the lowest tuition option. You'll be accumulating enough debt in vet school alone.