What color are your scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osubum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked the MDs, but I want to hear from the DMDs and DDSs as well.

A LOT of people, whom have never attended a health school, have been asking me what the scrub color scheme is at the school I am at. Apparently, surgeons wear dark blue, nurses wear light blue, pharmacists wear purple, etc. OHSU said that DMD students can wear whatever color they want, as long as it is not a pastel and is solid color. Are there schools that require specific color of scrubs to create a visual hierarchy? Has anyone else heard of this?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked the MDs, but I want to hear from the DMDs and DDSs as well.

A LOT of people, whom have never attended a health school, have been asking me what the scrub color scheme is at the school I am at. Apparently, surgeons wear dark blue, nurses wear light blue, pharmacists wear purple, etc. OHSU said that DMD students can wear whatever color they want, as long as it is not a pastel and is solid color. Are there schools that require specific color of scrubs to create a visual hierarchy? Has anyone else heard of this?

Check out this link if you have not already:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401980

Obviously, this does not cover all of the dental schools but it does give some comparison for clinic attire (some including color hierarchy). At Kentucky, they could care less what color you wear (this includes residents).

Houston requires a hard to find fairly blah "misty green" which really looks like a mixture of blue gray and green.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that quite a few schools are requiring different classes to wear different colors, in order to easily differentiate what point one is at in their education.