Are you a surgery resident with an interest in writing or film production? Check out the Grey's Anatomy Communication Fellowship. Applications due soon!

Nov 4, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ok... now when we are fully matched and know where, what happens next? do we call the program? do they call us? Email us? send us some paperwork?

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ok... now when we are fully matched and know where, what happens next? do we call the program? do they call us? Email us? send us some paperwork?
They will be contacting you. Make sure you get everything done far before the deadlines. Most places will send a packet with things like the paperwork for the criminal background check and fingerprinting early. If you don't pass the muster, they want to know this stuff quickly. They will also send the materials for your training license too (don't delay this as it sets a bad start).

Start trying to find a great and convienent place to live too. If you have to travel some distance (I did), then you want to get started on getting your stuff ready for the move so that you will be settled into your "crib" and relaxed before work starts. Most places have an orientation where you will get ACLS and ATLS done before work starts too. If helps if you make sure that your BCLS is up to date so that you don't have to do this before you take the ACLS stuff.

I already had BCLS and ACLS so I got a few free days during orientation week. I only had to do the ATLS.

waxedapathetic

10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2008
Status
how soon do programs typically contact their residents? i don't know the etiquette. i'm hesitant to email/call the PD or surgery education people. is it ok to do that?

SLUser11

CRS
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
how soon do programs typically contact their residents? i don't know the etiquette. i'm hesitant to email/call the PD or surgery education people. is it ok to do that?
Sure. The program coordinator can give you lots of info. I'd wait until Monday, and if you haven't heard from your program, call the coordinator and ask her what you need to do next.

You can also get the names of some more senior residents, and start emailing them with Q's about housing, internet, etc.

I know I just assumed that the coordinator was a female....but she is, isn't she?