What conferences should I go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aDOdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything.

I am starting up IM residency this year and have an interest in pulm/cc. I have to let the program know when to take vacation time and was planning to go to some conferences to try and meet people in the field.

I was wondering what conferences would be best to go to for some networking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

CHEST and ATS are the big conferences. SCCM is great but I hear is smaller. There are also many regional conferences that may be better for networking (i.e. NYSATS: New York's American Thoracic Society chapter, which hold annuals meetings in Manhattan)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Very helpful!

ATS is much larger than Chest and has more basic science related talks. It also seemed more multi-specialty with allergy and thoracic surgery having a presence there. Chest is a wonderful conference that seemed more focused on clinical pulmonary medicine. Keep in mind, this my opinion after going to both of these for just 2 years. I'm sure there are others in the forum who have been to many more. I can't comment on SCCM as I've never been.

Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything.

I am starting up IM residency this year and have an interest in pulm/cc. I have to let the program know when to take vacation time and was planning to go to some conferences to try and meet people in the field.

I was wondering what conferences would be best to go to for some networking?

Meet the people at your residency program first. You likely won't get much out of ATS or chest by just showing up as an IM intern. Your goal should be to have some research to present at ATS May of your second year, not just go for the sake of going.

Meet the people at your residency program first. You likely won't get much out of ATS or chest by just showing up as an IM intern. Your goal should be to have some research to present at ATS May of your second year, not just go for the sake of going.

Strongly agree with this comment. Different divisions have preferences for ATS vs CHEST, some go to both. If you want to stay at your program for fellowship, then get a sense of where all/most of the Pulm-CCM people go and submit abstracts. Agree that first time you go, you want to have something to present, even a case report. Very good chance for getting to know people within your own Pulm-CCM program. Would not go for sake of going.