What could an MD do without a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any job ideas for someone like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is Home Depot hiring?

Seriously, maybe teaching high school or CC science classes. There's literally nothing in medicine proper for him (assuming he's 20+y out from med school per your other post). Maybe he could get a job as a research technician...something in the $30-35K/y range.

I am trying to help my dad. He got his MD a long time ago from a US med school but couldn't complete his last year of residency because he became disabled. I am pre med myself and I feel like its such a waste of knowledge that he isn't doing anything right now, asides from being the family informal doctor....especially since I ask him for help a lot and he knows his stuff and seems to be on par with my professors in my upper level classes. Any job ideas for someone like this?

Maybe he can do a quick masters in Clinical Research or MPH. He should be able to get a job in clinical research if he applies broadly and you live in or close to a big city.
Also if you have any big universities nearby, he can apply to do research. This is also assuming that he has basic research skills.
With this, he should be able to get a job that pays at least $45k.
He can sign up teaching for online programs too in the science fields.
For now actually, he can get online to places like Elance TODAY and actually find individuals and companies looking for people to do medical writing. Most are just happy to see an MD, and will hire without experience. There he could easily make $2000 a mth FROM HIS COUCH!! He can obviously make more...

Reactions: 1 user
\
Maybe he can do a quick masters in Clinical Research or MPH. He should be able to get a job in clinical research if he applies broadly and you live in or close to a big city.
Also if you have any big universities nearby, he can apply to do research. This is also assuming that he has basic research skills.
With this, he should be able to get a job that pays at least $45k.
He can sign up teaching for online programs too in the science fields.
For now actually, he can get online to places like Elance TODAY and actually find individuals and companies looking for people to do medical writing. Most are just happy to see an MD, and will hire without experience. There he could easily make $2000 a mth FROM HIS COUCH!! He can obviously make more...
This was very helpful thanks! :happy:

Any job ideas for someone like this?

If he is a US MD and completed 1 year of residency then he should be eligible to apply for Preventive Med or Occupational Med residencies which include a MPH and a praticum year. Getting Board certified would allow him considerable flexibility and earning potential. Google the different programs and if one is nearby he should consider shooting off an application. Of course, this assumes his diability has improved enough where he could complete some clinical work for the practicum year. Worth a look if he is really interested.

He can work in Missouri. They just passed a law about this. I think he can work as a PA.

A passed law and an active policy are two different things. The MO Medical Board can just decide not to provide the necessary credentials and then the law matters not one whit.
So apparently I was half-wrong. While the board had expressed hesitance regarding ever implementing it, they've since said they're working on putting together policies. We'll know more by summer or fall of next year: http://www.pr.mo.gov/healingarts.asp

i've known MDs in this position to find employment in Biotechnology and ecology labs and even agronomy and soil science research positions.

Just like liberal arts majors, there are plenty of jobs for non-residency MD grads. Now if you don't count the ones that involves varieties of the phrase, "Would you like fries with that?"...

People coming out of med school have no business treating patients solo.

People coming out of med school have no business treating patients solo.
This is funny, because in many European countries you get full licensure after medical school (but almost everyone goes to residency anyways).

This is funny, because in many European countries you get full licensure after medical school (but almost everyone goes to residency anyways).

I don't think that our current medical school structure would allow that. I don't think that med students coming out of med school are ready for the autonomy and decision making that going into being an attending. Legally it is just a bad idea...and it is a bad idea for patient care. I think that there is a drop off between MD/DO and PA/NP...and there is also a dropoff between PA/NP and medical student. We would be setting the bar too low.

In the military, you do your internship before they allow you to be on your own...and I think that is realistic, because by that time you are use to the autonomy.

Now if our medical school structure changed such that students exit their 4th years with tons of outpatient experience with little attending oversight, maybe that could change. But standards would need to be in place...including a competency examination.

Most people in the US get a license after intern year but most interns are not competent doctors yet either, so I'm missing your point. In most systems there's going to be a disconnect between when you can get a license and when you are reasonably competent to practice independently. Medicine is a lot more complex today than when the created the licensure rules generations ago.

It's almost as if there is no more useless degree than a DO or a MD without a residency and board certification. 50 years ago doctors were trained to competendly practice medicine the day they graduated, it's not the case anymore. Doctors now don't know anything the day they graduate med school. And they certainly don't know how to practice medicine independently.

It used to be that medical school was enough to make you a competent physician. Then they added an internship. Then a residency. And now a fellowship. Even newly minted attendings have just started learning how to really practice medicine.

But, I do know a MD who didn't do an internship or residency who works as a "guest expert" on a Serius XM channel. She tiptoes around the fact she does not have a license or board certification by calling herself a "Women's Health Expert" and not a "Family Dr" or "OB/Gyn".

Just like liberal arts majors, there are plenty of jobs for non-residency MD grads. Now if you don't count the ones that involves varieties of the phrase, "Would you like fries with that?"...

Only the OSU grads