what counts as a science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandushi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two Quick Questions :confused: :

1. I have a heavy courseload this semester but still could use an additional science. i just can't overload myself on 18 credits of high level science and labs. does anybody know if principles of nutrition or world nutrition or both count as sciences on AMCAS? They sound interresting but i can't afford to 'waste' credits if they are not sciences - i have just a couple of semesters left and have to try to raise my science gpa as much as possible. Thanks soooo much for your advice. :thumbup:

2. Also, has anybody done an EMT program to gain clinical experience and did you find in your interviews or application process that it proved beneficial over those that just volunteered in hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

pandushi said:
Two Quick Questions :confused: :

1. I have a heavy courseload this semester but still could use an additional science. i just can't overload myself on 18 credits of high level science and labs. does anybody know if principles of nutrition or world nutrition or both count as sciences on AMCAS? They sound interresting but i can't afford to 'waste' credits if they are not sciences - i have just a couple of semesters left and have to try to raise my science gpa as much as possible. Thanks soooo much for your advice. :thumbup:

2. Also, has anybody done an EMT program to gain clinical experience and did you find in your interviews or application process that it proved beneficial over those that just volunteered in hospitals?

If it's offered by the biology or chemistry department it will go into BCPM. Otherwise not.

Law2Doc said:
If it's offered by the biology or chemistry department it will go into BCPM. Otherwise not.

What about a course cross-listed in the cognitive science & neuroscience departments that counts as both a natural science and social science course?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the nutrition classes aren't offered through chemistry or biology department, they are offered instead through the department of dietetics and nutrition. so they dont count then?

i also took anatomy and a physiology and labs through the department of physical therapy. do they count?

Will Ferrell said:
What about a course cross-listed in the cognitive science & neuroscience departments that counts as both a natural science and social science course?
If the neuroscience class is under the Biology department, then it might. Look at the course prefixes. I took a bunch of interdisciplinary cognitive and neruoscience classes, and they didn't go into my AMCAS BCPM gpa when I applied.

odrade1 said:
If the neuroscience class is under the Biology department, then it might. Look at the course prefixes. I took a bunch of interdisciplinary cognitive and neruoscience classes, and they didn't go into my AMCAS BCPM gpa when I applied.

Thanks! nope, no affiliation with the bio department. there's also, another pure neuroscience class i'm hoping that isn't factored in either :)

I too took some neuroscience courses. the prefix for them is PSB, not PSY or IND. Would that count? They were taken at UF but they fall in the psychology/neuroscience department not the biology department but were heavily science based.

pandushi said:
I too took some neuroscience courses. the prefix for them is PSB, not PSY or IND. Would that count? They were taken at UF but they fall in the psychology/neuroscience department not the biology department but were heavily science based.

Well, I just looked up the instruction guide and it seems as though it is counted if it's pure neuroscience. :(
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2006instructionbook.pdf