What counts as clinical volunteer experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is working at a hospital or a nursing clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

An adcom officer at a med school told me that anything where you work with people in a clinical setting (ie. hospital, nursing facility, blood bank, etc.). Could be considered clinical work.

is there a time limit, recency? I worked in a nursing home in 95. that too long ago to bother putting on there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would put anything that you've done after high school.

Definately listen to Wannabe and put done everything that you have done. They may ask why you don't have any current experience so you may want to shadow for a few weeks or get a per diem job. That way you don't have to put in a lot of time and still show that you have current interest. I worked basically as a janitor and answered call bells, wiped butts, passed food, did I/Os. But I found it to be very humbling. God I am glad that is done.

If you're ambitious, you could become certified as a CNA or EMT. This way, you could actually make some coin while getting experience.

Im actually completing the secondary now. Im taking this spring kinda lightly. Being a post bacc student and not going to see a big change in my gpa anymore.

So Im TA'ing for a class and studying my butt off for the april MCAT to retake it. Also looking to become a Surgical or Anesthesiology Tech or get into a scribe program.

EMT or CNA is a lot of work and if I had the time to put into the training and what not it would be nice to do.

Hey Imbebo.....

don't think negatively....be optomistic!

but.......being a surg. tech.....I suggest you don't do that if your ultimate goal is medicine....

the reason I say that....the only programs I know of are 4 semesters ( usually back-to-back ). So it takes about 1 1/2 years to complete....and they are very expensive....I believe the tuition is around $14,000 now at the school I went to.

I became a surg. tech because I didn't know at the time whether I wanted to go to med. school or not, but I had an interest in healthcare.

So I would just concentrate on doing the things necessary to get into med. school for now.

oh. from what people have told me here it doesn't take but a few days of training. Our career office has been trying to find some opportunities like that as a part time job for students.

by the way...i'm not discouraging from becoming a surg. tech.

I absolutely love what I have been doing. The experience I have gotten, and the knowledge I have gained are invaluable. And the amount of hands on work I get is viturally uncomparable to the average pre med student.

oh, no worries. I still have to get past the redtape at school. Can't get this "Internship" if Im TA'ing as well because it would be too much for me to handle even though I wont be taking classes and studying my butt off again for the MCAT.

Maybe the position isn't the same as you do. Less responsibilities and what not. I still have to get the ok from the biology department to do this unless I want to go out there and try and find my part time job where I can get some real hands on experience.

What schools really want to see is experience shadowing/working with a DO. Anyone can be a candystripper. School's want to make sure that you know what you are getting into and that you're sure that you really want to become a physician...and more specifically a DO. I would highly recommend you start interning w/ a DO if you haven't already. You can get into medical school w/o doing this but it gives you a bit of an advantage.

I shadowed an Anethesiologist for an hour a few weeks ago. He really wasn't up for it to be a repeat thing, but was happy to help.

Ive called 5 other DOs in my area leaving msgs and talking with the nurses. I have been left hanging by them. I need to find more in my area to call.