What Counts as English Pre-Req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st.exupery

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but does 6 quarters of humanities (basically history from Greeks through modern) count as an English course?

I assumed if not that, I surely took English classes as a Comm major and now I'm starting to panic.

Members don't see this ad.

st.exupery said:
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but does 6 quarters of humanities (basically history from Greeks through modern) count as an English course?

I assumed if not that, I surely took English classes as a Comm major and now I'm starting to panic.

my school had writing requirements and most of them did not consist of english courses..

I fulfilled my writing requirement with Physical chem :confused:
and another elective.

My pre-med committee said the way to resolve this is to have the registrar forward a notice about how the schools writing requirements are fulfilled.

st.exupery said:

I'm using Greek Myth as one of my English pre-reqs. It's essentially lit. History may be a slight stretch but I'd go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How on earth does PChem fulfill a writing requirement???

yolony said:
my school had writing requirements and most of them did not consist of english courses..

I fulfilled my writing requirement with Physical chem :confused:
and another elective.

My pre-med committee said the way to resolve this is to have the registrar forward a notice about how the schools writing requirements are fulfilled.

Schaden Freud said:
How on earth does PChem fulfill a writing requirement???

I have no idea.. but we wrote 20-30 page lab reports and I guess the school thought it qualified. All I know is I got credit for a writing 2 course for P. Chem and I was grateful at the time. Hope it doesn't hurt my app.

Thank you, I will try it and in the mean time I shall call my undergrad.

I realize now I didn't take the "Subject A" (english comp. proficiency class) since I had AP English... this doesn't seem fair now!

If you got AP credit for English, most schools will let you use that- as long as you got actual credits! A mere exemption doesn't count.

st.exupery said:
Thank you, I will try it and in the mean time I shall call my undergrad.

I realize now I didn't take the "Subject A" (english comp. proficiency class) since I had AP English... this doesn't seem fair now!

hmmm.. so for my GWU secondary, should I list my English Lit AP class from high school? I just looked on my undergrad transcripts and it is there as 8 units.

I really appreciate your guys' help in the midst of my panic.

yikes, one more thing. I don't have a grade, it's a "P"!!!

I think that's fine. Call the admissions office to confirm though. My AP is actually listed in my transcript under the class number that I was exempted from and confirms that I got 3 credits and gives a grade of CR (credit).

st.exupery said:
hmmm.. so for my GWU secondary, should I list my English Lit AP class from high school? I just looked on my undergrad transcripts and it is there as 8 units.

I really appreciate your guys' help in the midst of my panic.

st.exupery said:
yikes, one more thing. I don't have a grade, it's a "P"!!!

Typically, and I don't know a school that doesn't do this, but I suppose there might be one or two out there, when a school gives you credit for AP/IB credits, they just give you the credit, not a grade. Thus, these credits don't figure into your GPA (so, if you got most of your BCMP through AP/IB, most med schools want you to take some upper division work, especially in chem and bio). I'm pretty sure "P" means pass, so you'll be fine. My AP/IB credits aren't delineated on my transcript, but rather just stated that I got '22 credits from Princeton, NJ' and '24 credits from New York, NY'. I have to get another form saying what classes I got credit for.