What counts as ties to a state/geographical region? How about a cousin who lives in that state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brobamacare

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing conflicting advice on SDN about this. What counts as OOS ties - for example, would it count if your cousin lives there?

And does it count if one's SO lives in that state, or does it only count if married?

Are you asked to prove that your family lives in that state, or do they just take your word for it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think cousin is a definite no;

SO probably has more weight if you're married but I think if you've been dating someone for several years it probably wont hurt to mention it. It probably wont get you many points though.

I dont think i've heard of anyone being asked proof their family lived somewhere but that seems like a dumb thing to lie about. i think you provide alot of information in finaid forms that make that easily catchable

Ultimately the school who cares about instate are doing so because they're trying to produce physicians who will ultimately practice and serve that state. The main thing is convincing an adcom that you are happy and excited to live and practice in their state and send (costly) signals about that. It doesnt necessarily need to mean that you have family there.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an SO of several years and asked this question at a med school’s open house. It’s not a tie, even if he becomes my fiancé. I doubt a cousin would count

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep seeing conflicting advice on SDN about this. What counts as OOS ties - for example, would it count if your cousin lives there?

And does it count if one's SO lives in that state, or does it only count if married?

Are you asked to prove that your family lives in that state, or do they just take your word for it? Thanks!
Your cousin living in a state doesn't count as a tie. For many schools even your parents living their don't count.

Ties have to have a meaning full component. ide, you grew up there, lived and worked there for a prolonged period, or went to college there.

Many schools want you to practice in their state, hence they want to know if you'll stick around instead of running off to FL, NY or CA, for example.

Your cousin living in a state doesn't count as a tie. For many schools even your parents living their don't count.

Ties have to have a meaning full component. ide, you grew up there, lived and worked there for a prolonged period, or went to college there.

Many schools want you to practice in their state, hence they want to know if you'll stick around instead of running off to FL, NY or CA, for example.

How about having done middle school or high school in a state and having moved due to parents career ?