What counts for overcoming an obstacle???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see things about overcoming obstacles in the personal statement. What does an ADCOM consider an "obstacle" I don't want to put something that maybe I feel like was an obstacle when they would just dismiss it. The things I am thinking of some people may feel aren't anything special... Since you'll probably need to know what they are to form an opinion, these are the things I am considering:
Parents divorced when I was 9mos old, grew up pretty poor
Diagnosed with Grave's Disease at 11 (yes, I said 11, not 11 years ago, and it actually developed at 10, but the pediatrician couldn't figure it out)
left an abusive alcoholic husband at 27

Thoughts? comments?

Members don't see this ad.

your graves may be viewed as an obstacle, esp at such a young age. how you handled it, how you have continued to work and how you continue to handle it today. you have overcome something that would make manythrow up their hands and say surrender.

having worked with women in a domestic violence shelter i have to say that those women, women like you who havethe courage to leave, are some of the strongest women i know. they have incredible strength and determination. i am not sure of that would qualify as an obstacle but it is definetly part of your story and has undoubtably made you the woman you are today.

best wishes on your journey

It is something that pushed me to want to become a doctor for sure. By the time I realized my husband was a jackass I was already married to him. I should have added that while he never hit me, he would just repeatedly call me every name in the book... Eventually I figured out that no matter how many times he'd say "I am so sorry, I'll change" that in reality you only have room for one true love, and his is the hooch... wouldn't ever be me... So, I left... :D Now he's dating some chick who's also a drunk who lost custody of her three kids... NICE!

Members don't see this ad :)
what about a non drug related addiction? im worried its too new age to list, and that adcomms would kinda not take me seriously if i tell them.

I see things about overcoming obstacles in the personal statement. What does an ADCOM consider an "obstacle" I don't want to put something that maybe I feel like was an obstacle when they would just dismiss it. The things I am thinking of some people may feel aren't anything special... Since you'll probably need to know what they are to form an opinion, these are the things I am considering:
Parents divorced when I was 9mos old, grew up pretty poor
Diagnosed with Grave's Disease at 11 (yes, I said 11, not 11 years ago, and it actually developed at 10, but the pediatrician couldn't figure it out)
left an abusive alcoholic husband at 27

Thoughts? comments?

I don't know about adcomms, but I know how I feel about this, and, I expect that at least a few committee members would feel the same.

Cliche's are annoying, and they get more annoying when one has to read that same cliche hundreds of times a day. I suspect the "overcoming obstacles" phrase occurs in many, if not most, personal statements. The "abusive husband" one probably shows up in many of the female non-trad statements. The problem is that it cuts both ways. You overcame, but poor judgment got you into the situation in the first place. If someone is judging you (which admissions people have to) then this might balance out.

Your instinct will probably be to defend yourself (it will be hard for you to not reply to me, for example, and tell me how your husband fooled you) but the Personal Statement is too short for this kind of defense. It can also work against you, badly, if the adcomm evaluating you is a divorced husband whose wife accused him of emotional abuse - and I hear that this happens in 90% of divorce cases.

BTW, I'm not judging you. I have no opinion on your personal issues. I'm just telling you how it might work for people who are judging you - the adcomms.

Your parent's divorce is a real obstacle, but sad to say, it is too common to make you stand out. In fact, one might say that the fact that it happened so early gives you an advantage over a child whose parents divorced during his school years.

Graves disease is different, of course. But it still has to be approached without self-pity. Remember that very few students walked into medical school on a rose-covered path. If the ad-comms feel like you are trying to emotionally milk it, then it won't work for you.

If you watch the talent reality shows, you see this all of the time "this means everything to me, sob, sob, I've overcome soooo much to be here.... sob sob. My mommy frowned at me when I said I'd try. tears."

To the poster who mentioned addictions. No, no, and no. Absolutely do not talk about it unless you have a conviction on your record and can't avoid it. All the adcomms need in their school is an addictive personality. It's an automatic disqualification. Too many doctors already have addictions. The schools don't want to add more.

I don't feel any need to defend myself to you or anyone actually. If you think about it, alcoholism progresses, people can not be an alcoholic at a certain age, and can turn into one at an older age. Plain and simple fact...

As far as how the adcoms would react, this is exactly why I am asking, I think I stated that pretty clearly in my original post... When I said that I didn't want to put something that the ADCOMS would dismiss...

I don't pity myself for having graves, I consider myself lucky, if I was going to get an autoimmune disorder, I'd certainly prefer this one instead of RA, diabetes, lupus, etc... However, it doesn't change the fact that I was diagnosed while in school, and most people are 30. If you know much about the disease, (or thyroid problems in general) it can cause severe depression, as well as many physical and emotional side effects... I have permanent eye problems as a result of it, it's called "TED" Thyroid Eye Disease... Not to mention any problems as a result of medication imbalances or changes...

As far as addictions, I thought the same thing, I'd say no... you said it's "non-drug" which means it's not what most people consider "typical" and unless its food, might be too personal to be sharing with a group of people trying to decide if you're right for med school... However... I will add this, if your goal is to become a psychiatrist, or a physician who wants to treat people with this addiction, it may add a foundation others don't have... It is part of the reason that I always wanted to be an endocrinologist, I have graves and my dad is diabetic, I have much more innate knowledge of the diseases than many other people do...

I don't feel any need to defend myself to you or anyone actually. If you think about it, alcoholism progresses, people can not be an alcoholic at a certain age, and can turn into one at an older age. Plain and simple fact...

As far as how the adcoms would react, this is exactly why I am asking, I think I stated that pretty clearly in my original post... When I said that I didn't want to put something that the ADCOMS would dismiss... .

Right, you don't need to defend yourself to me. That's what I was saying and you agree, so we don't have any issues. Most divorced wives are more defensive and I expected the opposite reaction (despite what you said in your original post). I'm glad you don't feel the need to come after me for apparently minimizing your experience.

I'm an applicant, not one of the gatekeepers, but if I understand what the adcoms have told me, the applicant should be striving to set himself apart and be admirably different. This means that all of the normal "overcoming" stories are already taken. ADHD, abusive parents/spouse, addiction, juvenile arthritis, teenage parenthood...

But a verifiable disabling disease is a different thing. A personal statement could say things like, "I have maintained a GPA of ..... despite the fact that the medication for my Graves disease has to be adjusted regularly and often causes academic difficulty..."

This emphasizes the overcoming instead of pity for the disease.

I'm an applicant, not one of the gatekeepers, but if I understand what the adcoms have told me, the applicant should be striving to set himself apart and be admirably different. This means that all of the normal "overcoming" stories are already taken. ADHD, abusive parents/spouse, addiction, juvenile arthritis, teenage parenthood...

But a verifiable disabling disease is a different thing.
The uniqueness of one's obstacle should have absolutely no bearing on the validity of said obstacle as a serious life experience that has challenged an applicant, hindered their ability to progress apace with their cohort, and strengthened their character.

I don't think anyone reading this should feel like "Oh, damn, 'growing up in a methlab to a drug-addicted abusive' parent was already taken so I guess I'm not allowed to list it!" :rolleyes:

What matters is how we've all overcome our obstacles, learned from them, and incorporated them into our life experience. Telling your story well is much more important than the material you have to work with.

The uniqueness of one's obstacle should have absolutely no bearing on the validity of said obstacle as a serious life experience that has challenged an applicant, hindered their ability to progress apace with their cohort, and strengthened their character.

I don't think anyone reading this should feel like "Oh, damn, 'growing up in a methlab to a drug-addicted abusive' parent was already taken so I guess I'm not allowed to list it!" :rolleyes:

What matters is how we've all overcome our obstacles, learned from them, and incorporated them into our life experience. Telling your story well is much more important than the material you have to work with.

Yes, I'm sure that thousands of applicants to medical school have exactly that background.

But if you all want to try it, go ahead. "I should be the top of your list of applicants because I try so sniveling hard. I worked hard to make my B's and C's because I have ADHD and I have an addiction to Law and Order re-runs and my daddy used to yell at me for playing XBox so much."

Hehe...
That is why I asked this question... I absolutely don't want to be seen as a whiner "oh look at poor me"... I'd much rather set myself apart by saying, I was given a Yellow Merit Star from the National Ski Patrol for helping save a womans life... Or, yes, I did screw off in college, but I am older and wiser now, and I am following my heart/passion... Its not that things shouldn't be considered, but at the same time, when something is so commonplace (divorce rates are 50+% in the US) it isn't going to add much besides "gobblegobblegobble" and I probably have something better to add like a passion for life-long learning, or solving problems, etc...

Thoughts? comments?

Steer clear of the graves. I was diagnosed at 14, and yeah, it can suck big fat ones some days, but if I had to write a list of the things that made me who I am today, and the obstacles I had to overcome to get into vet school, that would be amongst the bottom of the list. I find a lot of other people with graves go on and on about how bad it is. As you said yourself, it could be a whole lot worse.

As for leaving an abusive husband... that calls for strength of character beyond that shown by the average person. Even if you don't include it in your app, this is something you should be proud of for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Hehe...
That is why I asked this question... I absolutely don't want to be seen as a whiner "oh look at poor me"... I'd much rather set myself apart by saying, I was given a Yellow Merit Star from the National Ski Patrol for helping save a womans life... Or, yes, I did screw off in college, but I am older and wiser now, and I am following my heart/passion... Its not that things shouldn't be considered, but at the same time, when something is so commonplace (divorce rates are 50+% in the US) it isn't going to add much besides "gobblegobblegobble" and I probably have something better to add like a passion for life-long learning, or solving problems, etc...

I think you were wise to ask. That's exactly the things we have to consider when applying.

I will likely include the graves because it was the first solid thing that really made me want to pursue a career in medicine... I put it in the letter for when I applied to PA school, not as an obstacle, but as a formative experience...

Members don't see this ad :)
But if you all want to try it, go ahead. "I should be the top of your list of applicants because I try so sniveling hard. I worked hard to make my B's and C's because I have ADHD and I have an addiction to Law and Order re-runs and my daddy used to yell at me for playing XBox so much."
I really don't understand how you can liken the OPs description of being raised in poverty and having to work to leave an abusive marriage with this kind of trivial bull****.

What you don't understand is it's not so much about exactly what the obstacle is, but what you did to overcome it. This is a story about YOU. Not your obstacle.

Dianyla said:

I don't think anyone reading this should feel like "Oh, damn, 'growing up in a methlab to a drug-addicted abusive' parent was already taken so I guess I'm not allowed to list it!"

What you don't understand is it's not so much about exactly what the obstacle is, but what you did to overcome it. This is a story about YOU. Not your obstacle.
Exactly to both of the above.

Ed, you're overextending your argument so far off the limb here that you've taken to mistaking the roots around you for the branches above you. Obstacles are relative, not absolute. One man's (or woman's) mountain is another's molehill, but what matters is how people face their adversities, not what the specific adversities were.

OP, since being diagnosed with Graves disease was part of what made you interested in medicine, it is appropriate to include that in your PS. I'm less inclined to encourage you to include the spousal abuse--keep in mind that anything you put in that PS is fair game for the interview, and for the adcom as a whole to discuss. If you aren't comfortable discussing your marriage and divorce with interviewers, or having people discuss that aspect of your life in a committee meeting, best not to bring it up.

Best of luck with your apps. :)

My mom, not that she's an expert, said she thought I should leave any reference to alcohol, alcoholic, etc OUT of the statement. Her thought, and I don't disagree, is to ALWAYS focus on the positive, never the negative. While he was instrumental in my realizing what I am capable of, I can probably state it in a different method without using him... we'll see...

Ed, you're overextending your argument so far off the limb here that you've taken to mistaking the roots around you for the branches above you. Obstacles are relative, not absolute. One man's (or woman's) mountain is another's molehill, but what matters is how people face their adversities, not what the specific adversities were.

What? What? I know those are limbs, they are limbs; they have leaves on them. See leaves. No, stop trying to drag me away, I don't want to put that jacket... No, No, I need to stay and convince them that I am right. I am right. I am rig......

What? What? I know those are limbs, they are limbs; they have leaves on them. See leaves. No, stop trying to drag me away, I don't want to put that jacket... No, No, I need to stay and convince them that I am right. I am right. I am rig......

duty_calls.png

:rolleyes:

My favorite saying is: "You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong" hehe :D

the applicant should be striving to set himself apart and be admirably different.

From the SDN article written by a former adcom about interview pitfalls (which I think also applies very well to essays and PS's):

"Trying too hard to "stand out" or "be distinctive."
Applicants are always concerned about standing out from the crowd. "What can I say that will make me different than everyone else?" "What can I do that will be unique?" First of all, you cannot change who you are on your medical school interview day. Most interviews are somewhat biographical so your experiences are what they are. I find that when applicants try too hard to be "different," they often undermine their own success. Medical schools are not evaluating you on your distinctiveness, per se; they are trying to assess your motivation for a career in medicine, intelligence, communication skills and level of compassion, among other qualities. Sure, candidates who have accomplished something truly unusual are evaluated differently, but these candidates are the exception. Ironically, applicants who exude confidence, enthusiasm and authenticity and who are "comfortable in their own skin" are often the individuals who stand out. So, be yourself. A seasoned interviewer can sniff out insincerity. Trying to be someone or something that you are not will inevitably negatively impact your performance and your interviewer's evaluation."

I agree with NTF about "being yourself." To me, that means that if your past is important to who you are, mention it--but briefly. Spend most of your time in the personal statement and secondaries discussing who you are TODAY and why you want to be a doctor.

If your background is an important factor in your past GPA issues [which I recall from another thread], I would recommend discussing those in a separate essay which you can send to your schools in addition to the standard AMCAS app and secondaries. This isn't a standard part of the app, but if you send it in with a brief note explaining what it is ("there are special circumstances which I need to explain"), the schools will accept it and put it in your file. (I did this at 27 schools, and all of them accepted it.) The benefit of this approach is that it keeps the past from "gumming up" your main essay and taking up valuable space that you need to explain why you want to go into medicine.

Good luck.

1799, right now my old GPA is touched on in this sentence "my undergraduate performance is not indicative of my potential as a learner"

The other stuff, the only thing that is in is the graves because it is just absolutely one of the things that shaped my desire to do medicine versus being a PhD in wildlife biology... everything else is out... Now I am on to figuring out how I am "diverse" I thought it meant 'I work well with others, and basically, I'm not a racist, and I like diverse groups of people' turns out I was wrong, and I am glad I asked the right person about that little tidbit... seems like one of those "secrets of med school applications"

I talked about the development of a medical phobia due to being transsexual (huge amount of discrimination), how it nearly killed me, and how I eventually overcame it after I decided I needed to be a doctor.

I save my economically disadvantaged background for my ED essay. I don't mention my ADHD and I don't mention the fact I had undiagnosed epilepsy for about 5 years, which by the way, can really mess with your grades when you are zapping at 50-100 seizures a week. (It's very well controlled now). My personal statement just barely mentions that I was raising 4 kids in undergrad.

In my ps I mentioned being bedridden at home for nearly a year while my mom was in and out of psych wards. That was a scary year.

In some of my secondary essays I mentioned my mother being booked for murder when I was an infant due to shooting me in the chest, and how if the doctors had seen the same thing the cops did, I wouldn't be alive to write the essay.

Those were the only times I mentioned disadvantaged stuff and I linked it into my journey to medicine anyway.

I figure don't harp on bad times no matter how bad they are. Things happen, sometimes really bad things, but it's how we react to those things that makes us stand out :)

However, I'm a first time applicant, so my opinion isn't worth much ;)

My parents divorced at eight, lived with my mom who married, then divorced, then married again. Pawn between both parents resulting in resentment for both of them. Moved around 25+ times. Diagnosed with ADHD at 23 y/o and put on medication. Not a magical fix, still requires hard work on my part, meds just make it manageable with self-control. Took care of dying grandfather.

All obstacles but the trick is discussing how they made you the person you are. What you learned, how you matured. Don't use them as an excuse for why you did poorly in class X (not saying it applies to you, just an example). Own up to it all. I blame a lot of my problems on lack of maturity. Took all the pieces being put together for me to realize I need to straighten up. Since then, working full-time and 20 cr per semester with a 3.9 GPA. MCAT next year. But all those "obstacles" helped propel me to seek more than average mediocrity.

Just my take

:idea: Well I had some of the similar life but ended up quite a bad state, always wanted to become a doctor but now after failing the exams of my high school once cause **** happens i have totally lost hope to go in to medical. :(

In my ps I mentioned being bedridden at home for nearly a year while my mom was in and out of psych wards. That was a scary year.

In some of my secondary essays I mentioned my mother being booked for murder when I was an infant due to shooting me in the chest, and how if the doctors had seen the same thing the cops did, I wouldn't be alive to write the essay.

Those were the only times I mentioned disadvantaged stuff and I linked it into my journey to medicine anyway.

I figure don't harp on bad times no matter how bad they are. Things happen, sometimes really bad things, but it's how we react to those things that makes us stand out :)

However, I'm a first time applicant, so my opinion isn't worth much ;)

Ok, that one deserves the "cliffhanger" opening that I usually make fun on on personal statements. It sure beats the typical one

"As the ambulance roared off into the night carrying me and my bleeding hangnail, I was glad that there were doctors in the world...."

Ok, that one deserves the "cliffhanger" opening that I usually make fun on on personal statements. It sure beats the typical one

"As the ambulance roared off into the night carrying me and my bleeding hangnail, I was glad that there were doctors in the world...."

LoL. Glad I have your seal of approval ;)

Ed, if you enjoy laughing over the cliches in admissions essays, you have to read this. It's a full-length parody of an admissions essay which was posted a couple of years ago by an SDN member who used to call himself Panda Bear (he's since changed his name to a number, for reasons I'm not acquainted with). http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3730313#post3730313

I thought it was hilarious, but fair warning to prospective readers: this guy's humor is VERY politically incorrect.

Another outstanding parody (this time a secondary):

Use this template for writing your secondary essay. Simply print it out and circle the parts that apply to you.

I want to go to (Columbia/Stanford/Emory/Vanderbilt) because of the amazing (teaching ability/research opportunities/student culture) fits so well with my life's goals. I first became interested in this university when I saw it (clone a dog on national news/create a cure for restless leg syndrome/win the 1992 lacrosse national championship). Ever since then, I've been eagerly awaiting the day that I could go to medical school here. After looking through the faculty profiles, I'm interested in working with (Dr. Wu/Dr. Han/Dr. Lee/Coach Zeke) in the field of (particulate biochemistry/cardiovascular physiology/bioethics/building homes for the uninsured). I understand that this school has a strong (psychiatry department/trauma surgery program/women's basketball team) that I was hoping I can get involved with early in my first semester. While I don't know which specialty I want to go into, I am sure that (insert same name as above) could prepare me for whatever lies ahead.

Also, I must confess that I have family in (California/Arkansas/Wyoming/Washington, DC) and wish to be with my (aunt/uncle/second cousin) who is suffering from (Parkinson's disease/irritable bowel syndrome/peanut allergies). He/she has had a great influence on my life and has taught me that I can do anything so long as I put my mind to it. For example, when I was growing up we used to go (fishing/knitting/clogging/building model rockets). Now, I wish to be by his/her bedside during his/her time of need.

Do not think that my decision to apply to this school is based on a whim. I diligently read every issue of (Nature/the New York Times/Wired magazine) looking for the next great article published by (insert name of school) faculty. I know that you can train me to be the doctor I've always wanted to be.

Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm firmly convinced that unless you can find the humor in this crazy process, your head will explode.

Ed, if you enjoy laughing over the cliches in admissions essays, you have to read this. It's a full-length parody of an admissions essay which was posted a couple of years ago by an SDN member who used to call himself Panda Bear (he's since changed his name to a number, for reasons I'm not acquainted with). http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3730313#post3730313

I thought it was hilarious, but fair warning to prospective readers: this guy's humor is VERY politically incorrect.

Oh that is funny. I don't think our more social-justice oriented friends on the forum would appreciate it, though.

Oh that is funny. I don't think our more social-justice oriented friends on the forum would appreciate it, though.

I'm sure you would consider me a flaming liberal. I just happen to also have a sense of humor.

I don't know about adcomms, but I know how I feel about this, and, I expect that at least a few committee members would feel the same.

Cliche's are annoying, and they get more annoying when one has to read that same cliche hundreds of times a day. I suspect the "overcoming obstacles" phrase occurs in many, if not most, personal statements. The "abusive husband" one probably shows up in many of the female non-trad statements. The problem is that it cuts both ways. You overcame, but poor judgment got you into the situation in the first place. If someone is judging you (which admissions people have to) then this might balance out.

I agree with this poster whole-heartedly. Focus on your STRENGTHS and on POSITIVE experiences that have given you the perspective, professionalism, drive and confidence to pursue your medical education after having so much life experience first.

This is your application to a graduate school, to the profession of medicine.
Don't cheapen it or make it sappy like a lifetime movie or an oprah episode. Do you really want the pity vote?

As a non-trad one of your strengths above and beyond the trads is life experience. Use it.

Yes, I agree with all of that... :D

And the Panda guy is funny sh!at

Actually I think it's hysterical. It's all about the DABs. :smuggrin:

Yes, I did bring up the thread I posted almost a year ago. It's my thread, I can do it if I want to...

Anyway, here's my thing, I am now sitting here looking at secondaries (questions from last year) that I am hoping will be sent my way, and seeing this dreaded question again...

I have three 'normal' type things:
Graves' at 11 (learned to deal with going to the doc often, helped create interest in medicine)
Step-father was a verbally abusive alcoholic (had to learn how to accept that bad things happen, and how to accept that they happened and move on while never getting an apology, etc)
Left my ex-husband who was a verbally abusive alcoholic (had to find the inner strength to realize that this person wouldn't change, and that leaving was the only way for me to move on in a positive manner with my life)

in addition to those, I have things like:
Dealing with really really horrible bosses (as in one of them falsified documents to try to fire me) (had to learn how to deal with very stressful work environments and be able to get up every morning and keep going)
My husband had to take a job in CO because of the crappy economy (have learned that I can rely 100% on me, and that I have to pursue my own dreams)

I am really not sure which thing I should pick, I want it to be the "whoa, that sucks, look at her go" not "whiner whiner whiner"

Thoughts from the rest of you?

Yes, I did bring up the thread I posted almost a year ago. It's my thread, I can do it if I want to...

Anyway, here's my thing, I am now sitting here looking at secondaries (questions from last year) that I am hoping will be sent my way, and seeing this dreaded question again...

Graves' at 11 (learned to deal with going to the doc often, helped create interest in medicine)
Step-father was a verbally abusive alcoholic (had to learn how to accept that bad things happen, and how to accept that they happened and move on while never getting an apology, etc)
Left my ex-husband who was a verbally abusive alcoholic (had to find the inner strength to realize that this person wouldn't change, and that leaving was the only way for me to move on in a positive manner with my life)

Dealing with really really horrible bosses (as in one of them falsified documents to try to fire me) (had to learn how to deal with very stressful work environments and be able to get up every morning and keep going)
My husband had to take a job in CO because of the crappy economy (have learned that I can rely 100% on me, and that I have to pursue my own dreams)

I am really not sure which thing I should pick, I want it to be the "whoa, that sucks, look at her go" not "whiner whiner whiner"

I think it all depends on how you word it out. Write it down and ask for feedback. It's still early enough in the cycle that you can scrap it if it doesn't work out for you. :p

Err, if you're using it in your personal statement, I would do it if it applies to answering the question of "why medicine?"

If it were me, I'd go with the Graves' disease. It's medically related, and it's emotionally neutral. It's also a problem that has a definitive treatment and would not be expected to interfere with your ability to get through medical training. Since you were diagnosed on the order of decades ago, it would be easy to make the argument that you have overcome this obstacle successfully. There is no way to blame the victim for having a hyperactive thyroid, and there is also no one who would even think of trivializing the obstacles faced by a child with a serious illness.

I suppose it's fair to argue that abuse and alcoholism are also medically related, but they are *not* emotionally neutral. As I said a year ago, unless you want to be discussing these things with interviewers, and/or have a room full of strangers possibly consider your sense of judgment and personal life when making a decision on your app, I strongly discourage you from mentioning the abuse or alcoholism. It's obviously unfair to blame the victim, but unfortunately, it does happen.

Dealing with bad bosses happens to a lot of people, and it would be ok as a topic in terms of the emotional content. But you run a serious risk of coming across as blaming other people (your bosses) for your problems, and/or presenting yourself as a person who has serial problems with getting along with authority figures. Not the kind of picture you want to portray.

Being separated from your husband could be a reasonable topic, especially since most of the med schools you'll be applying to won't be in CO. On the other hand, you run the risk of it backfiring on you and having adcoms question whether you will have enough of a support structure while in medical school.

Overall, the Graves' disease is the safest topic IMO.

I think you could use any of them (except the bad boss one - from what I understand from job interviews you should never talk bad about your previous boss or your new boss might think..."hum" Might apply to Medical school committees too). It's really going to be how you can use it. One thing that came to mind would be incorporating it in with clinical/volunteer experience - like when your past experiences help you better serve someone's needs...
example (mine is fiction you would pull from your experience): While stocking blankets in the ER during one of my volunteer shifts I noticed a young girl in the corner of the room. Without even speaking to her I knew she was ______, (depressed, afraid, etc...) I had not only seen it before - I had lived it. Having come from a broken family with a verbally abusive alcoholic stepfather I could recognize the _______ (stance, glare, attitude...) in this little girl.
Then talk about how your experience helped you help someone. In my example it might be talking to the mother, giving information about help groups or other resources that are useful.

Post some examples and it will help us know which one is the most powerful and if it sounds "go-getter" or "whinny".
Best of luck

That Panda Bear thread is thoroughly amusing! Love it. I hope Mr. Panda is doing well now.

OP - What has helped me in the past is to sit down, in a quiet, solitary setting, and just write. If that particular event has had a strong and lasting impact on me, I've found that the words just pour out on their own and I have been moved by my own words more often than not. I am a strong believer that to move somebody else, you must first be able to deeply and honestly connect with yourself.

I would advise you to skip the bad bosses scenarios. There are just too many of these in the real world. I don't believe you'll be judged favorably if you make a mention of them. Just my 2 cents.

Depends how you spin each of them. I agree with Q, however, emotional neutrality is key. As is the "I have overcome" and stay very far away from "whiney whiney whiney" or anything that could be miscontrued as "poor me I'm a victim."

It is possible to spin anything into a great uplifting story if you are gifted.

SBB, from everything I've read here, the Graves disease is an important part of what inspired you to become a doctor and therefore not only could but definitely SHOULD be included in your personal statement. The other negative things that have happened in your life, on the other hand, though obviously important experiences that have shaped you, probably aren't relevant to the "why medicine" question.

My own personal statement is about my struggles to become a mother (it took six pregnancies to produce my two children) and the wonderful doctors who assisted me along the way. I used this content not because I was looking for sympthathy, but because it's MY STORY... although I had been contemplating medicine for a long time, my experiences with a high-risk pregnancy that ended in stillbirth changed my life and provided the impetus to finally go for it.

I disagree with the whole idea of using a strategy to decide what to talk about and what not to talk about.

Your life experiences make you unique and you should feel free to talk about them without someone telling you that YOUR OWN life experiences are not good enough to "get you into medical school."

Considering that you have lots of applicants who don't really have meaningful experiences or applicants who fabricate experiences, if you went through something unique during your life, you should feel free to talk about it.

It's not about how you spin it. It's about how you deliver it. There should be no need to spin any story.