What counts towards science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life2dmax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard different things, if someone has something official please link it to me.

Obviously all classes listed under Chem/physics/bio/math count. I heard stats counts. Will neuroscience classes count?

Also, what about a graduate course that I am taking as an under-grad? (not using to towards any major)

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously all classes listed under Chem/physics/bio/math count. I heard stats counts. Will neuroscience classes count?

Typically classes are classified by the school. Check the course number and that should tell you (ex: stats may be MA201, or neuro may be BI105). I'd imagine stats would be classified as a math while neuro a bio.

Also, what about a graduate course that I am taking as an under-grad? (not using to towards any major)

If the class is on your transcript I would assume it counts in your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically classes are classified by the school. Check the course number and that should tell you (ex: stats may be MA201, or neuro may be BI105). I'd imagine stats would be classified as a math while neuro a bio.

If the class is on your transcript I would assume it counts in your GPA.

Yeah but thing is at my school Neuro and Stats have their own departments and therefore are separate.

Also yeah I'm pretty sure a grad school class will count towards my regular GPA, I'm just wondering if it would be for a science GPA

Try to look at your unofficial transcript. It should show undergraduate record vs graduate record. If the course is listed as graduate, put it into AMCAS as graduate.

Count it as whatever benefits you the most. Put the onus on AMCAS to change it if necessary (which, SDN doesn't like, they probably won't)

Reactions: 1 user
The only caveat to that is if AMCAS has 10 or more adjustments, then it is sent back to applicant for repair and resubmission

Course classification is based in the CONTENT of the course, not the department or title.
Side question off of this, so if I have lots of classes under the same department/class code, but with a wide variety of content, I would classify them differently? They are all classified as "Honors Humanities Program" on my transcipt, but each semester covers something different, e.g. philosophy, language, ect. (weird, I know)
Thanks!