what course is best for entering into medicine for AU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farqueue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in doin medicine in auckland university.

I was wondering which is a better course to take?
Health Sciences or Biomedical Science? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Aukland was undergrad entry. Or are you talking about a particular high school class (course in the American sense) rather than a uni degree (course in the Aussie sense)?

pitman said:
I thought Aukland was undergrad entry. Or are you talking about a particular high school class (course in the American sense) rather than a uni degree (course in the Aussie sense)?

auckland is both undergrad and postgrad.

I think the OP is referring to what course s/he should take in the first year (trying to get entry into the undergrad course in 2nd year).

I don't know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Purifyer said:
auckland is both undergrad and postgrad.

I think the OP is referring to what course s/he should take in the first year (trying to get entry into the undergrad course in 2nd year).

I don't know :)

Thats right purifyer

pitman said:

Auckland no longer accepts candidates straight from high school. Instead, everybody has to go through common 1st year then apply to year 2 of medical school.

Anyway, to answer OP's question,

If you are strong in science -> biomedical
If you are "artsy" type -> health science

I think it would be best if you talk to somebody who's done it. Look at the schedule, find out which papers you need to take for each route. I think health science the papers are more "artsy" e.g. health sociology, etc, whereas biomed has some hard-core science papers.

I had an email from a friend while ago answering this question.... If you can hold on for 3 weeks I'll PM it to you (if I still have it).

Thanks a lot sjkpark.
What did course did u take on your 1st year?

I can apply for Both biomed and health sci at auckland uni. I will need to decide which course i would decide to go for later in the year. Unfortunately i dont know anyone who has done health science, but i do know a few people who do biomed are struggling.

That letter of yours would be greatly appreciated.

Could u also define "artsy" type? I know i am pretty good at giving suggestions, improvements and limitations in bio essays and stuff like that. Is that what u mean?

Another thing is would i be able to apply for OZzy unis if i do health science at auckland uni? and will i be able to get into dentistry at otago?

farqueue said:
Thanks a lot sjkpark.

I can apply for Both biomed and health sci at auckland uni. I will need to decide which course i would decide to go for later in the year. Unfortunately i dont know anyone who has done health science, but i do know a few people who do biomed are struggling.

Could u also define "artsy" type? I know i am pretty good at giving suggestions, improvements and limitations in bio essays and stuff like that. Is that what u mean?

Another thing is would i be able to apply for OZzy unis if i do health science at auckland uni? and will i be able to get into dentistry at otago?

I went straight from school (this is back in 1999).

Sorry but don't count on that letter - as I'm pretty sure I've deleted it. It's in my hotmail account but I can't access it from home.

If you are taking lots of arts subject, i.e. English, Classics, etc. health science might be a better bet. If your English is second language, for example, health science might not be a good idea. (But then again there are some non-New Zealand born kids who get 99% in English -> these guys will do well in health science). More English and written skills required for health science, that's what I'm saying.

Why did they struggle in biomed? I mean, as a first year in Auckland I took all the same papers as biomed people, but I didn't find them particularly hard and pulled some A's without studying much. Granted I had very strong background in both science and English, and competition was probably not as intense back then. I think if you weren't particularly outstanding at school (Kids who get Bursary marks of 350s.... under old Bursary system) the chances of you making to med school is pretty slim. So you need to look at your abilities critically.... but if you want to be a doctor (and it wasn't your mummy and daddy's idea), why not have a go? I think it's a great job.

Have no answers for AUS or Otago. You'll need to ask them directly.

farqueue said:
Thanks a lot sjkpark.

I went straight from school (this is back in 1999).

Sorry but don't count on that letter - as I'm pretty sure I've deleted it. It's in my hotmail account but I can't access it from home.

If you are taking lots of arts subject, i.e. English, Classics, etc. health science might be a better bet. If your English is second language, for example, health science might not be a good idea. (But then again there are some non-New Zealand born kids who get 99% in English -> these guys will do well in health science). More English and written skills required for health science, that's what I'm saying.

Why did they struggle in biomed? I mean, as a first year in Auckland I took all the same papers as biomed people, but I didn't find them particularly hard and pulled some A's without studying much. Granted I had very strong background in both science and English, and competition was probably not as intense back then. I think if you weren't particularly outstanding at school (Kids who get Bursary marks of 350s.... under old Bursary system) the chances of you making to med school is pretty slim. So you need to look at your abilities critically.... but if you want to be a doctor (and it wasn't your mummy and daddy's idea), why not have a go? I think it's a great job.

Have no answers for AUS or Otago. You'll need to ask them directly.

Hmm

I was under the impression that a USA/CAN post grad can apply to the 5 year program at auckland as opposed to 6 if they have a previous degree.

This is from their web page:

Alternative Admission: Students must complete the first year Bachelor of Health Science or Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Science). Students can also enter as a Graduate Entry student with a completed degree. Other criteria such as a UMAT Test and interview must also be met.

Is this not true? Are there only 6 year programs?

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hmm

I was under the impression that a USA/CAN post grad can apply to the 5 year program at auckland as opposed to 6 if they have a previous degree.

This is from their web page:

Alternative Admission: Students must complete the first year Bachelor of Health Science or Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Science). Students can also enter as a Graduate Entry student with a completed degree. Other criteria such as a UMAT Test and interview must also be met.

Is this not true? Are there only 6 year programs?

Where did you get the impression that Auckland's 6 years' long?

Let the records show that I never said that.

Auckland is 6-years long for people who are coming straight from high school (like OP) or people whose undergrad degree but no biological science background. These people have to do common 1st year in either health or biomedical science at Auckland.

Most people I know who have strong biology or health background at University level were admitted to Year 2 of medical course, which is medical school proper.

sjkpark said:
Where did you get the impression that Auckland's 6 years' long?

Let the records show that I never said that.

Auckland is 6-years long for people who are coming straight from high school (like OP) or people whose undergrad degree but no biological science background. These people have to do common 1st year in either health or biomedical science at Auckland.

Most people I know who have strong biology or health background at University level were admitted to Year 2 of medical course, which is medical school proper.

Oh crap. I just realised that I did say everybody has to do health science. This is not true and I do apologise. I meant everybody coming from high school.

hehe

No problem. It is obvious you know much more about it than me so i was believing it right off the bat! I dont know for sure if i have a chance at getting in but i made an application online to give me another option. I have a number of ER physician friends in AU who say great things about NZ

Cool.
Thanks for all your info.

What does OP mean? It sounds like i am the OP in this thread.

"original poster". Or you could be OPP if you'd prefer that moniker :)