What courses are considered Science, other science, non science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrivateJoker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a list of how to classify courses I have taken? I would prefer the official site list or a link if you have one. Thank you!

BTW I did do a search but didn't find exactly what I am looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

when you are adding your coursewoek on AADSAS there is a link you can click on the upper right corner that says "Instructions for this section." It will give you a list.

I have a bit of a dillema here:

I have a previous undergrad with a lot of courses that are on the line: acoustics and audio engineering courses. This is Bachelor's of Arts at an art school, and some of the classes (ie Studies in Hearing) are definitely science, but others are harder to decide on.

I am a bit concerned about low grades I received in these classes because they may drag my science GPA down to the dumps. Otherwise (BIO, CHEM and PHYSICS) is about a 3.7. With these "Other Science" classes added, I'll be averaging much lower I would assume.

Needless to say my previous GPA was poor: a 3.06. After returning to school I have maintained a 3.6 with a 3.7 in the sciences.

I don't want to become a statistic because of classes I took ten years ago!

I don't want to lie about them, either.

How does "Architectural Acoustics" figure in?

Is "Engineering" a science?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a bit of a dillema here:

I have a previous undergrad with a lot of courses that are on the line: acoustics and audio engineering courses. This is Bachelor's of Arts at an art school, and some of the classes (ie Studies in Hearing) are definitely science, but others are harder to decide on.

I am a bit concerned about low grades I received in these classes because they may drag my science GPA down to the dumps. Otherwise (BIO, CHEM and PHYSICS) is about a 3.7. With these "Other Science" classes added, I'll be averaging much lower I would assume.

Needless to say my previous GPA was poor: a 3.06. After returning to school I have maintained a 3.6 with a 3.7 in the sciences.

I don't want to become a statistic because of classes I took ten years ago!

I don't want to lie about them, either.

How does "Architectural Acoustics" figure in?

Is "Engineering" a science?

Engineering classes are classified as "other science". As for architectural acoustics, it sounds like an art class, which is non-science. I would call AADSAS though just to make sure about the latter.

Also, does "Other science" affect the science GPA, or is it a separate category?

I was basically a different person when I went to school a decade ago. Sure, I got a 3 point with equal numbers of A's and C's on either side, but I did more partying and jamming with my friends than studying.

...regretting that now!!

Anyway, I don't want to be dishonest and I definitely don't want to get in trouble. But if I can legitimately avoid listing a class in science I will.

Also, does "Other science" affect the science GPA, or is it a separate category?

I was basically a different person when I went to school a decade ago. Sure, I got a 3 point with equal numbers of A's and C's on either side, but I did more partying and jamming with my friends than studying.

...regretting that now!!

Anyway, I don't want to be dishonest and I definitely don't want to get in trouble. But if I can legitimately avoid listing a class in science I will.

I believe 'other science' courses do take account into your science GPA b/c math is considered 'other science' and I believe a member of the adcom committee had mentioned that it factored into my science GPA.

That sucks.

I tried out engineering several years back as an extension of my acoustics, and I decided that physical science just wasn't for me.

Let's just say I've taken a lot of higher level math I didn't exactly do spectacularly in, e.g. a C in Calc IV.

Who needs Calc IV?! AARRRGH!!

That sucks.

I tried out engineering several years back as an extension of my acoustics, and I decided that physical science just wasn't for me.

Let's just say I've taken a lot of higher level math I didn't exactly do spectacularly in, e.g. a C in Calc IV.

Who needs Calc IV?! AARRRGH!!

So you did a BA 10 years ago and then went back to school for another degree? Hopefully adcoms will see that you improved your second time around and your more mature, experienced, etc.