What courses do you recommend I take next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my freshman semester, and it looks like I will finish with a 3.4 cum, 3.3 BPCM. Not bad, but not outstanding. I plan to do much better next semester, and would like some advice on what to take. I retook trig this semester, because I was afarid to take calc, chem I, and bio all at the same time, as a freshman. But now, I am thinking about waiting until the summer to dedicate to just calc and orgo. As of now, I plan to take chem II and bio II next semester. Obviously, orgo comes after chem II, but what bio comes after bio II? Cell bio? Its hard enough figuring out what to take, and even harder figuring out what to take at the optimal time. Thats the key.

Members don't see this ad.

genetics would probally be the next class after Bio 2, then cell bio (at my school genetics is a pre-req for cell bio) Take next semester go with English 2, calc 1, chem 2 and bio 2. Thats a good solid schedule exactly what i did during second semester of freshman year, except i only took i lab, couldnt fit the other in with football practice. Orgo, over the summer is sketchy, Orgo is a tough class with alot of material and moves pretty quickly in a regular semester i couldnt imagine doing it in a summer session. Unless your willing to dedicate an inordinate amount of time during the summer to it I wouldnt do it

Chris127 said:
I'm finishing up my freshman semester, and it looks like I will finish with a 3.4 cum, 3.3 BPCM. Not bad, but not outstanding. I plan to do much better next semester, and would like some advice on what to take. I retook trig this semester, because I was afarid to take calc, chem I, and bio all at the same time, as a freshman. But now, I am thinking about waiting until the summer to dedicate to just calc and orgo. As of now, I plan to take chem II and bio II next semester. Obviously, orgo comes after chem II, but what bio comes after bio II? Cell bio? Its hard enough figuring out what to take, and even harder figuring out what to take at the optimal time. Thats the key.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice triple post :D
Cell bio and then Genetics at my school as well.

Course sequences are specific to schools. Ask your pre-med counselor or upperclassmen pre-meds and bio majors. At my school, for instance, you have to take the organic chem sequence before taking any bio at all.

Chris127 said:

DON'T take orgo over the summer. Take calc over the summer. DEFINITELY DO NOT take both at the same time over the summer. Summer semester is intense, fast-paced, and demanding. It is not simply 2x the work of a regular semester - it will feel like 4x the work. I took physicial chemistry one summer and damn near killed myself. You could probably get away with taking 1 hard class, and then 1 lighter class per summer semester. (If your school has 2 summer terms, like mine did). If it has only 1 longer summer semester, you should still take calc and get it out of the way. Then for the following fall term, I would start orgo and calc 2. You can tack on genetics if you are a glutton for punishment (and you don't need orgo for it). Then the next semester you can begin physics, finish orgo, and start biochem.

I'm not sure what your pre-reqs are, though. That's what counselors are for. :D

No orgo over summer - that's suicide. Take classes that are on the MCAT during the year. Always keep your workload moderate, like 15 hours / semester. Shoot for 4 A's out of 5. That's a 3.8, which is a nice margin over the med school acceptance average of 3.5. If you're not a bio major, consider getting a bio minor and take the med school subjects in college. That'll give you a nice edge in med school.