What courses exactly count towards the science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerguy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read some posts about this but I am still not sure. I am a biomedical engineer so of course I take a lot of science classes, but I am trying to figure out my science GPA.
I know these will count for sure:
Physics 1 and 2: A and A-
Organic 1 and 2: B+ and A+
Inorganic Chem: A and A
Biology 1 and 2: B+ and A+

But since I am an engineer I have taken a variety of other science classes such as:
Statistics: A, Mechanical Statics: A-, Mechanical Dynamics: A, Mechanical Solids A, Human Physiology: A, Calculus 1: A, Calculus 2: A+, Calculus 3: A, Biomaterials: B+, MATLAB Course: B+, Linear Systems and Signals: A, Differential Equations: A+

I know they wont count A+ but which of these courses should I count towards the science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools, biology, chemistry, physics, and math are all counted as science, while engineering classes are not.

For DO schools, your engineering classes will count as science, but math will not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed Natural Resources does not count but what about a class titled "parasite ecology"? It is a biological science elective and seems as though it should count because it is not exactly natural resources...

Thanks

This quote, taken from your link, is the way to go if you disagree:

The rule of thumb for deciding if your course should be classified in one of the BCPM categories is: If the course content, for example a biomedical engineering course, is 50% or more "Biology" content, then you should classify the course as "Biology" rather than "Engineering". You should be prepared to provide AMCAS with a syllabus, lecture topics and/or catalog description if you are challenged on your classification during the verification process.

TMDSAS has its own rules.