Apr 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in the process of applying and a bit overwhelmed!!
What factors did you look at (location, tuition etc) and how did you narrow down?

Thanks

Last edited:

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
Tuition is honestly one of the biggest factors I looked at. The difference in tuition between my school and the only private school in Texas is significant. It's something like $15,000 a year more!

Based on my personal experience and on conversation with others: find the school that's a good fit for you.

As an example: I recently read an old thread about a college of osteopathic medicine where attending students were literally forbidden from "appearing" (standing, talking, walking, etc) in one public front area of the school. My jaw dropped at that, and I knew I'd go nuts if I were a student there.

Some schools treat their students as professionals by not overloading them with rules.

Other schools "make" their students into professionals by providing them with all kinds of rules.

Make sure you'd feel comfortable as a student somewhere before dedicating money and time to applying there.

SparkLy09

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2009
Denver!
Status
Pharmacist
I looked at a lot of things... (Not in any specific order)

Location, Tuition, Class size, Curriculum, Reputation, Accreditation, Cost of Living, Student Associations, Facilities, Faculty, Avg GPA/PCAT to see if I stood a chance, OOS student acceptance rates, and comments on SDN and other online sources about the school in general.

You know how schools say they look at the "overall package" of the student? I pretty much think the same thing when I look at schools :)

I also found that my opinion about the schools changed a LOT when I actually interviewed there. Some schools were extremely different from what I had imagined it to be and so there was a huge swaying factor there too.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I am in the process of applying and a bit overwhelmed!!
What factors dis you look at (location, tuition etc) and how did you narrow down?

Thanks
Cost was the big factor for me. I don't want to step on any one's toes but all this business about fitting in/atmosphere/etc. seems overrated to me. I feel like where ever I went I would make friends and put up with any stupid rules. I do admit when I hear about some of the craziness that some students have to put up with I am thankful that for the most part I don't have much of that to deal with.

I did have one interview where I felt like the student population was just incredibly stuck-up. But even there I am sure I would have been able to find/befriend people who are not like that. I am glad most of my classmates aren't like that though.

At the end of the four years I wanted to be in as little debt as possible. Everything else (how much you learn/fit in/etc.) is pretty much up to you, so cost was the issue I cared about the most.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I believe there are a few threads that address this same question, but for me:

Curriculum/rotation sites was one of the primary factors.

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
I believe there are a few threads that address this same question, but for me:

Curriculum/rotation sites was one of the primary factors.

Same here and I will throw in location as well.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Cost, COP ranking and location

If it wasn't a fully accredited school I would not even bother applying to it. I only applied to 3 schools though cuz I applied really late in the game.

Oct 31, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I definitely looked at location, cost, and accreditation status. Obviously, you don't want to move somewhere that gets a lot of snow if you despise the cold. I ended up going to a state school, the University of Buffalo in NY. I'm a New York State resident so my tuition was very inexpensive, especially for the first year because you pay undergraduate tuition. It was also an established school and was accredited. Many of the other schools in my area are not accredited yet so you run the risk of not receiving your degree if they do not receive accreditation when you graduate. Further, I was also pleased with UB's high passing rate on the board exam (almost 99%)