What current events can I talk about during my interview (if asked)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to refrain from talking about politics because I don’t wanna offend the interviewers. Also if their views are different from mine, that would be an issue lol. The only current event I can think of is how Norway has almost eliminated Down Syndrome, but again I don’t wanna offend the adcom because what if they know someone who has Down syndrome? So what current events are safe to talk about?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to refrain from talking about politics because I don’t wanna offend the interviewers. Also if their views are different from mine, that would be an issue lol. The only current event I can think of is how Norway has almost eliminated Down Syndrome, but again I don’t wanna offend the adcom because what if they know someone who has Down syndrome? So what current events are safe to talk about?

Politics aside, I don't think the Down Syndrome topic would come off as offensive.

If you can carry a normal conversation and articulate it well, connect with the listener, I think that's all they are looking for.

Let the interviewer lead the interview. If you have specific questions about the school, ask those. Not sure why you would bring up that during an interview between you and the school. Not really relevant to podiatry either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let the interviewer lead the interview. If you have specific questions about the school, ask those. Not sure why you would bring up that during an interview between you and the school. Not really relevant to podiatry either.

I was asking because what if the interviewer wants me to talk about current events...

I was asking because what if the interviewer wants me to talk about current events...
I know at Scholl certain interviewers will ask about current events. They are looking to see if you are well rounded, not to identify personal ideology. I know a few people who got into political debates that were very thought provoking which is what they were looking for. I know you might not want to talk politics but it might actually work in your favor, seeing that talking to something that may be controversial or thought provoking can lead to an admission committee seeing how well rounded you are and how well versed you are! Plus, if they can’t look past your personal/political ideologies then that place might not be the right fit anyhow!

I guess I never had anyone ask me during all my interviews about current events. Mostly just asked about me or podiatry in general (why did you choose podiatry).