Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What DAT score do i need to get into Columbia or NYU -- 3.9 gpa?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by theDr., Apr 15, 2004.

1. theDr.

theDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What DAT score do i need to get into Columbia or NYU. I have 3.9 gpa. My only blemish on my record is I had to leave a MPH program for good reasons -- did 1 semester w/ 3 A+'s. Also, when is the best time to take the DAT to improve my shot at getting into Columbia or NYU? Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gatorfan99

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    19 should get you in for sure... 18 >> good chance... 17 and under is risking it..

4. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

Are you kidding me, with a 3.9 you can basically get in anywhere you want.

5. theDr.

theDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what about my blemish on my record -- leaving a mph program -- will that kill me? How hard is it to get a 19-20 on the DAT -- realistically. Also, when shoudl I take it mid - end of june to improve my chances at Columbia or NYU? thanks

6. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

MPH thing is not even an issue in my opinion. Considering you have a 3.9, getting a 19+ on the DAT should be a giveme for you. Honestly the DAT was not that tough, the only tough part for some people is the perceptual section.

7. Serge718

Serge718 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey theDr,

I had the same GPA and 22/23/17 on my DAT. I was accepted to all the schools I applied to except for havard (Didn't even send me a rejection letter, wasn't even worth a stamp I guess). I studied for the DAT for a month and a half (took kaplan) and took the DAT in the middle of july. My recomendation is to apply as early as possible so that you can make it into the first application cycle. I sent in my ADSAAS application in the middle of augast and had my pre-med advisor send my transcript and LOR's directly to the schools.

For Columbia try to crack a 20 AA, they are a big DAT school as you may already know. As for NYU, well with your GPA and 18 is more the enough. Good Luck

8. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

you're laughing buddy. Just make sure you get like 20's on the DAT and you're in like sin.

It's not hard, the DAT.

Especially the academic section.

9. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

To the OP:

Your GPA shows that you are capable of getting good DAT scores... but that doesn't mean just go and take it, you need to review the recommended study guides to secure the scores you want. 19 DAT minimum will still get you in anywhere (maybe tricky for Harvard and UOP) if you apply early, May-July.

Good Luck