1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What deadline do I give my LOR writers?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shemarty, May 28, 2008.

1. shemarty

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I'm planning to submit my primary on the first day (June 4th, this year), what day should I hope that all my LORs have been received by my school's reference file service? I've been telling my LOR writers to send the letter to our reference file service by Jun 15th, but I'm wondering if I should ask them to bump that up, since the schools that don't screen pre-secondary will start giving me secondaries right after I submit the primary?

The plan was to turn secondaries around ASAP, so I don't want to be in the situation where my essays are all written, but I'm just waiting on the LORs to be written...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ask if they can get it done in the next 2-3 weeks. it will inevitably take twice as long

4. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As long as you know your letter writers well and have good relationships with them, I'm sure they will want to help you out and this will work out fine. You can't really ask them to bump it up at this point since they only have 2 weeks...June 15th is plenty early. I don't think schools send out secondaries till later in June anyway, right?

5. dd128

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Whatever you don't give them an open ended deadline, or give them the actual deadline (which for some amcas schools can be as late as january). My letter writters generally forgot and I was left scrambling at the last minute trying to remind them and get my letters off. Which more often than not meant my early apps weren't so early anymore.