What degree is best for specialty residencies?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by nathan, Jan 16, 2001.

1. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

I have recently been accepted to UHS College of Osteopathic Medicine. There is also a great possibility that I will be accepted to UMKC School of Medicine (as an advanced standing student- which has some drawbacks because there are a few medical courses that I would not be able to take). Therefore, I'm most likely to go the DO route. I would like to know, from those of you who are about to be, in, or have completed residency, if DOs have great difficulty in matching a specialty residency, such as orthopedic surgery. I work for a group of cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons, and like those specialties also. I like the DO approach to medicine and feel that it really suits my personality and taste for medicine, however, I want to make sure that it is the right decision for the future, say 5 to 15 years from now? Please help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

If you go the DO route you should be able to go into any specialty you want. However, the truth is there are still some barriers for DOs and if you're seriously interested in any surgical field, especially ortho, you might be better off going MD. Although it's not unheard of, it is rare for a DO to get an allopathic surgical residency. Of course you always have the option of choosing an osteopathic residency, but keep in mind that there are only a few osteopathic surgery programs.

[This message has been edited by Neurogirl (edited 01-16-2001).]

4. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As far as ortho is concerned, there are 57 available spots and only 51 filled. 6 open spots sounds good for matching. As for cardiology, there are 8 DO programs. Not alot but an MD IM residency isn't that hard to get. As for cardiothoracic surgery, there are only two programs. That sucks but hey it is WAY to soon to be choosing a specialty.

5. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you are 100% sure, no shadow of doubt in your mind, that you want to go into a surgery program, go MD. There simply are more allopathic programs avaliable in surgery...and surgery is one of the last bastions of prejudice against DOs (as well as against anyone else who doesn't go into surgery... [​IMG]).

Otherwise, I think you might be happier at UHS than UMKC. It is not that UMKC doesn't have a great program, they really do. The maturity of the students, at first, leaves much to be desired. As they progress through their rotation years, they get better, and I have met some terrific residents from UMKC. But their behavior during pre-clinical years, and in the very first months of rotation reminds me too much of the undergrad croud.

6. livquiv

livquiv Member
    10+ Year Member

Pikeville,
    Do you happen to know where I might find the matching results in ortho that you mentioned? I am particularly interested in openings in particular hospitals in OH & MI. Thank you.

7. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I sure do. http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/Match/orthmatch.htm

I assume you are from a DO school, if not, this does not apply to you because DO residencies are for DO's only. You will be happy to know that there are openings in OH, MI, NY, and MO. Happy hunting!