1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What determines the best pre-med applicant?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lukeday99, Apr 8, 2004.

?

What are the most important attributes to be considered in the admissions process

1. GPA: Must...know...organic...reactions!

13 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. MCAT: My 35 makes me most qualified!

34 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Clinical work: I know what I'm getting into

17 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Personal qualities: I'm more compassionate than the Dali Lama

23 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. Nepotism: I earned this because of my family

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Expression: I can speak intelligently about more than just Wave Equations and electron paths

10 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

Well, what do you think? What SHOULD be (not what is, we all know that) the determining factor in figuring out which people should go into medicine? This was kicked off by the waitlist discussion/ Is it grades and MCAT (ie, IQ) or clinical work (experience) or poroven compasion (ability to empathize)??????

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dsblaha

dsblaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

easily clinical work. Assuming your GPA and MCAT are average.

I have good GPA and MCAT good research, volunteer and work experience. I had very little clinical experience and I think I could have gotten into more places. (not that I am complaining, I consider myself very fortunate:) )

4. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the mcat is your opportunity to really stand out. Lots of premeds have 3.8+ gpas. Score 36+ on mcat along with that 3.8+, and that puts you in much more select company. Then just make sure you have "enough" EC's to carry you through and you will get into several schools you want to(perhaps top 10 schools)

5. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

NO NO NO

I'm not talking about what will get you in. I'm talking about what you think are the best qualities for someone to have. What do YOU think SHOULD hold people in highest stead?

6. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, I take my vote back. I wasn't clear on what you were looking for.

To answer your question, I don't think there's any one quality that makes an applicant good. To be a good physician, one must have a wide range of desired characteristics. They must be compassionate and kind, good listeners, good problem solvers, and probably most importantly...good at communicating. It's all these things (and many more) that are necessary qualities for a physician. You cannot say that one is the most important. For example, I may be the best problem solver ever, but if I can't communicate effectively...how will that help anyone?

7. traumamonkey

traumamonkey mid-level resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow...please tell me those two votes are a joke.
    i hope not many people actually believe that nepotism should be the determining factor. i suppose there is some genetic component to the attributes that make a good physician, but...

i certainly didn't choose to be born into a family with no doctors, but i will damn well choose that field for myself...and i think i might actually be good at it (*shock*) despite the lack of a family tree to back me up

8. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think that there are a bunch of things that would make a good doctor. being well rounded in many different areas for instance. Especially in an urban environment, you're going to be surrounded by many different types of people from many different cultures. it's important to at least have a small understandign of their culture and what they're about. also, it doesnt hurt to be into more than just medicine. that way, tehy won't be so stressed all the time. They can get the job done, and i know they'll be able to think more clearly because their mind is not always in the hospital, they are able to unwind somehow.

9. Bones2008

Bones2008 waiting for retirement
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dude, the title of your poll is "What are the most important attributes to be considered in the admissions process." I can understand where people were led astray, I guess. Anyways, I think that the choices on the poll don't allow us to answer the question you really want to be asking, "what qualities allow for someone to become a fantastic doctor?"

10. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    personal qualities. assuming the mental capabilities and field related experiences are already a given.

11. After minimun number cutoffs, etc.... its that you know what you are getting into (some experience) and personal qualities (hopefully unique) and standing out all around.