what did u wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calidenti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking such a random question, but what is the appropriate wear that a guy should wear to an interview.
1. Shirt, tie
2. or a suit

Members don't see this ad.

dress like a true professional... like a business guy.. a nice suit and matching tie and shirt are required..
make sure you polish your shoes too...
dont wear any cologne...y'll be in a building with patients...

good luck...

Comet

definitely a suit - it doesn't matter if your interviewers come dressed in shorts or not, you need to be as professional as possible.

as for the choice of ties - I would go conservative, but it's an individual decision. as long as there are no purple Barneys or Looney Toon characters or questionable adult material, it should be fine.

I would have to agree on the shoe polishing - you want to put your best impression out there...

cheers and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't stress the polished shoes enough. There was a girl at my interview who had some majorly scuffed boots. I can't forget how messed her shoes were, black shoes too. It looked like she was kicking rocks prior to the interview.
One thing specifically for the ladies, make sure you have your nails in order, either polished or not. The one thing that can outdo unpolished shoes is chipped nail polish.

Wear what you feel the most professional and comfortable in. If you feel good about how you look it will help your confidence in the interview. I have seen cowboy boots and a couple of guys in shirt & tie. If I was the only guy in a group of 12-15 guys with a shirt & tie, I would feel uncomfortable. Also, you will be walking a lot at any interview so you want shoes that you can walk in all day long. At 1 interview I left my black dress shoes behind and had to wear my brown casual shoes with a blck suit. I could had stressed about it but I concluded that if I did not get into this dental school because of shoes it was not meant to be. BTW, I did get in.

Matt

definitely wear a suit with tie. Almost every guys I saw at the interviews wore black suit with a tie.

wear dark grey as opposed to black. you'll stand out and be remembered. hey, any little tip helps.

Besides standing out, black is generally an evening color. Brown, grey and other colors beside black is fine.

Wear something professional. A black suit is fine. Don't wear a red tie because it is a "power" tie and makes too much of a bold statement for an interview.
I always see the way men are dressed for the interviews and sometimes feel bad for them. Please wear nice shoes and make sure they are nice and polished! Allow your shirt to go one inch below the cuffs of your jacket.
Be different---wear a tie clip, cufflinks, a hankerchief ( preferably linen and not silk).
Dress like you are worth a million dollars! In order to be successful, you need to dress that way!
It is worth it to go out and splurge on a nice suit. If you have the money---get one hand tailored with your initials embroidered on the shirt. Some of the dentists have probably been around enough suits to know a nice one from a cheap one!
Dress like a business man or a lawyer---wouldn't you rather have a lawyer that knew how to wear a 5000 dollar Versace suit rather than one who bought a suit for 100 dollars? First impressions do matter!

wouldn't you rather have a lawyer that knew how to wear a 5000 dollar Versace suit rather than one who bought a suit for 100 dollars?

???

Interviewers are looking for neatly groomed professionals. You don't have to make a fashion statement. I bought a suit at a garage sale for 2.00 $ and it was fine for my interviews.

Dress like a business man or a lawyer---wouldn't you rather have a lawyer that knew how to wear a 5000 dollar Versace suit rather than one who bought a suit for 100 dollars? First impressions do matter!
Sure, as long as they charge me the same rate as the lawyer in the $100 suit:)

Matt