What did you bring as a snack/drink for your break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Brush My Teeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT is Thursday, just wondering what I should bring as a snack... was thinking a cliff bar and some gatorade. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a pack of beef jerky and orange juice. The orange juice left a sour taste in my throat so I'd probably opt for water if I had to do it again. The jerky was awesome though, serious energy booster.

I took some power bars.
My breakfast was big enough that I didn't eat anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will go with RED BULL. It will give you wings during test day. Well, that might not be a good idea flying from your seat during PAT for example lol

I will go with RED BULL. It will give you wings during test day. Well, that might not be a good idea flying from your seat during PAT for example lol
Everyone always says they get tired during the math qr because it's the last section. I'm gonna bring a gallon of red bull to chug right before reading comprehension. If this strat works and I nail it, I will make this the main point of my breakdown for the qr portion lol (fingers crossed)

I would recommend bananas with water.

I'd stay says from energy drinks unless it's part of your daily routine and you're well aware of how your body would react to it (shakiness and bathroom needs).

Cliff bars, while good, tend to be very sweet. That sweetness paired with the dryness and stickiness of the bar usually leads me to drink a lot of water while I eat them.

Just look for healthy options online like you are right now, and pick the items you know for certain your body can handle.

Yogurt, a little fish, and avacado for pre-test will be my meal with either a glass of milk and water.

Nuts and a Banana will be my break meal (if I take it) and I'll drink water.

In my experience, sugar and energy drinks as well as sugary foods/greasy foods are some of the worst things for test taking in my case. I always perform better test taking by eating the above mentioned foods for finals/midterms and cramming (which I'm aware is bad but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do)

I'm 40lb overweight though so that could be why sugar affects me poorly as well as I take medication that interact poorly with caffeine so I stay away from energy drinks regardless. In the end, I suggest that when you do your practice exams, try some different foods and see what works best for you to not have to take bathroom breaks(regular), keeps you awake, keeps you quick, and makes you feel good by the time you're done.

Last edited:
Vector Granola Bar and Water
I had to small breakfasts, half a egg-cheese sandwich and half a PB and Jelly between 3 hours before the exam. Big meals make me feel a bit drowsy.

Try to have something that you enjoy. When you come out for a break, its meant to be a break. Have something that's going to relieve you of your stress and prepare you to go back in there. But safe the burger and beer for after