What did you diagnose yourself with today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM/CCM PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I thought I could feel one of my lymph nodes. Like any normal medical student I diagnosed myself with Hodgkins Lymphoma, and started planing out how I was going to fit my Uworld blocks in between chemo treatments.

Turns out it was just an oddly placed pimple.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 28 users
That free lunch during accepted student day today gave me cholera.

Reactions: 3 users
During various points of M1 year I was fully convinced I had some extremely rare disease. As someone who is somewhat lacking in the chest hair department, I spent far more time than I should have researching symptoms of Klinefelter Syndrome.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
bilateral medial epicondylitis because I sit in front of a computer 14 hours a day.

Reactions: 6 users
Every day, a new HPI.

Every day, the same diagnosis of *******.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
Humor as my ego defense mechanism because i know nothing and my step is in 2 months so i just laugh at memes hoping to wash my sorrows and worries away

Reactions: 8 users
Humor as my ego defense mechanism because i know nothing and my step is in 2 months so i just laugh at memes hoping to wash my sorrows and worries away

story of my life and i'm m4

upload_2018-4-14_22-50-51.png

Reactions: 5 users
I diagnosed myself with hyperthyroidism when I was in medical school, turned out to have Graves disease. It was a pretty easy diagnosis.

Reactions: 1 users
Between my chronic fatigue and weight gain I diagnosed myself with hypothyroidism.

Or.... it could be the last month or so of my first year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I had a new dermal neoplasm on my back last week. Turns out it was a bug bite. It's gone now. :)

Alcohol induced A-fib... spent a week in Mexico after step 1.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During various points of M1 year I was fully convinced I had some extremely rare disease. As someone who is somewhat lacking in the chest hair department, I spent far more time than I should have researching symptoms of Klinefelter Syndrome.

Now we know someone who has small ball syndrome

Today my differential includes TB, lung cancer, pneumonia, aspergillosis. Less likely to be viral URI.

I'm probably dying.

Reactions: 2 users
Ankylosing spondylitis. I'm so sure.

I was actually so sure I had this during M1 that I got a full workup done. Turns out I’m just really out of shape.

On the bright side I now know I’m HLA-B27 negative!

Rabies in M1. Doctor said I was the third student that year.

Reactions: 15 users
Spondylolisthesis, appendicitis, OA of the 1st CMC, hypothyroidism (or maybe those extra 10lbs came from all the study snacks and being immobile 12hrs a day?), type 2 diabetes (drink a lot of water and pee a lot when i study lol), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, GERD, the list goes on and keeps adding everytime we start a new unit.

Gotta love med student syndrome*

*(also self diagnosed)

Reactions: 5 users
ahah what made you think you contracted rabies? pet a wild cat?

Scratched by a stray cat two years ago. I remember UWorld telling me that rabies has an incubation period of infinity or something so I'll be worried for the foreseeable future, despite the clinic saying I didn't need vaccination and IG.

Reactions: 7 users
Scratched by a stray cat two years ago. I remember UWorld telling me that rabies has an incubation period of infinity or something so I'll be worried for the foreseeable future, despite the clinic saying I didn't need vaccination and IG.
SO rare for rabies to be transmitted anyways. Especially from a scratch. You know it's mainly from bites right? :)

I drank some milk and I had a diarrhea. P.S I'm also asian. what is my diagnosis?

Spondylolisthesis, appendicitis, OA of the 1st CMC, hypothyroidism (or maybe those extra 10lbs came from all the study snacks and being immobile 12hrs a day?), type 2 diabetes (drink a lot of water and pee a lot when i study lol), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, GERD, the list goes on and keeps adding everytime we start a new unit.

Gotta love med student syndrome*

*(also self diagnosed)

relax, you probably just have lupus

I am pretty sure I have this too. Probably will get tested soon, hoping that it’s all in my head.

My uncle has this, and so I’ll have to at least be on the lookout for symptoms. Not to scare you or anything ...

I’m also just getting ready to matriculate, so I’ll gear up this summer to give myself lots of crazy diagnoses.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have been convinced that I have a mild case of cystic fibrosis for years now. I will never truly believe that I don't have CF until I have a negative chloride sweat test.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been convinced that I have a mild case of cystic fibrosis for years now. I will never truly believe that I don't have CF until I have a negative chloride sweat test.

NPV is only 99.4%. You could still have it with a negative test.

Reactions: 11 users
NPV is only 99.4%. You could still have it with a negative test.

LOL I guess that's that then, I'll always believe I have CF.

Ah the dangers of having just a little bit of knowledge. You know enough to make horrible interpretations but not enough to actually be right.

Reactions: 13 users
Count me in the ankylosing spondylitis self-diagnosis club too. Autoimmune diseases run in my family and I'm very inflexible (bonus points for the rheumatologist demonstrating the joint exam remarking that my joints feel stiff).

Let's see, what else have I had..

I'm tall and skinny so after learning about Marfan's I took a good look at my hands and convinced myself of at least the arachnodactyly for a second. Even without Marfan's sometimes I wonder whether the same things that give me these bodily proportions are also the things that are gonna rip my aorta apart any second now.

Going along with the lankiness, every sharp pain in my thoracic area is a spontaneous pneumothorax.

I get canker sores like crazy so I'm just waiting for the Crohn's to hit.

Every sore throat is going to lead to a peritonsillar abscess but it's probably more likely just the prodrome of inhalational anthrax.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Had my first ever migraine in 3rd year. Aura was total blindness in one eye for ~30 minutes followed by resolution and terrible headache. Differential was broad and included a stroke at age 25, MS, SAH, it went on and on

I get canker sores like crazy so I'm just waiting for the Crohn's to hit.

Every sore throat is going to lead to a peritonsillar abscess but it's probably more likely just the prodrome of inhalational anthrax.

Hahaha! Awesome. I thought anthrax was more of an early 2000s bioterrorist threat. :p

Psych rotation is convincing me I have a mild form of OCD. Since med school started, I’m a perfectionist workaholic who’s extremely inefficient with episodes of depression when I have to study... which is all the time.

Just have someone lick their arm then lick yours. They'll be able to tell immediately.

No I'm not kidding.

Don't ask how I know this.

Just have someone lick their arm then lick yours. They'll be able to tell immediately.

No I'm not kidding.

The original sweat test.

Reactions: 7 users

No I'm not kidding.

Definitely not sitting in bed licking my own arms rn.

You need a literal control arm, licking your own arms isn't gonna tell you a damn thing

Why are you encouraging my delusions? :(
I don't think anyone likes me enough to let me lick their arm, or vice versa.

Reactions: 4 users

That is awful.

Everyone should have at least one friend who will let ya lick their arm for a good cause.

You maybe want to rethink some life choices, my friend.

Reactions: 13 users

Awww, I'm sorry, I'm just having fun. All joking aside, I did once diagnose a very good friend from SDN with selective IgA deficiency, so sometimes paranoia pays off, but usually not so much