What did you do during shadowing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctor193

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted before that I was shadowing a cardiologist in her own office and Monday I'm starting at a different place . Being there was a little stressful me because I was actually working doing EKG's , charts and bring patients back etc. Is this normal? I watched for the first day but the second day I didn't too much because I was busy . What did you do during your shadowing experience ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In anesthesia shadowing, I've done some basic things like help the team transport patients, grab supplies during the case, and get pimped a bit (though at this point, I know approximately 0% of the answers). Probably more involved than many other shadowing experiences, but that's because anesthesiologists are stereotypically very nice and good teachers.

I got to hold the wall up and try not to lock my legs for too long.

In anesthesia shadowing, I've done some basic things like help the team transport patients, grab supplies during the case, and get pimped a bit (though at this point, I know approximately 0% of the answers). Probably more involved than many other shadowing experiences, but that's because anesthesiologists are stereotypically very nice and good teachers.

She would put me on the spot w questions too and I'm like -_______-

I performed basic surgical tasks: opened the patient, directed the surgical residents, and completed the operation from start to finish. My most meaningful experience was when I removed the tumor from a patient suffering from colon cancer. I know that this is really limited exposure to the field, but I feel my shadowing reaffirmed my desire to help others in the role of a surgeon.

I've only done office shadowing. Most of the time I stayed out of the way and watched. Occasionally, I actually helped. I asked questions after the visit (but not while the doctor was charting). On a few occasions, I actually performed the procedure (with the dermatologist right there, of course).

I got questioned a little bit. I answered when I could or said "I don't know" when I didn't know....I mean I haven't been to one medical school class as a student so what do they expect? I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe ask what is expected of you or ask if there is something you would like to do.

Tried not to vomit while keeping my blood pressure up.

For surgeries, I got to stand at the head of the table. It was awesome.

+1. I once had a cardiologist who was nonchalantly giving me interview advice while he was shoving a wire into a guy's heart! I was like, O_O and thinking to myself This guy is a boss!

ENT surgeon in a hospital: I stood in the corner for 12 hours of surgery, periodically looking through the lenses at what was going on and getting the rundown of the whole ordeal. Was allowed to sit in on the patient consultation, then got a general Q&A with the surgeon.

Family doctor at a private practice: stood in the corner to watch the examinations and crack jokes with the patients. The surly-looking ones have the best sense of humor. If the patient wasn't comfortable with me standing there, I followed the NP around for a bit meanwhile. Got to see a case of dementia diagnosed, which was probably the (forgive me) most memorable part. Realized I would definitely rather work with primary care over surgery.

Gastroenterologist in a hospital: this wasn't so much a real shadowing session as much as it was the doctor pulling the volunteer into the room because he just loves teaching. Same as the ENT, got to stand in the corner watching the screen while he explained what the images meant and what he was looking for in the patient's bum. GE has fantastic hours.