What did you do during your gap year? (Job-related)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with my BS in Biology and I'm currently studying for my DATs. I've been trying to look for dental assisting jobs but the fact that I have no experience means my chances have been really slim. I was thinking of just going ahead and apply to jobs at target or BJs just to have something to do. Do admissions care about the type of job? What did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Did they need a license to work as a clinical research assistant? The only schools near me are LECOM and undergrad campuses USF (checked and they didn't have any) so far research positions are requiring years of experience that I just don't have or aren't related to the field of study.
If you live near a school check into working as a clinical research assistant - and find a dental clinic to volunteer at so you can start picking up dental terms and etc.

I had a buddy who was able to pull out 3 papers solely by helping out with Clinical research and now he is living it up as a resident.

Did they need a license to work as a clinical research assistant? The only schools near me are LECOM and undergrad campuses USF (checked and they didn't have any) so far research positions are requiring years of experience that I just don't have or aren't related to the field of study.
In all honesty, the research you do doesn’t have to be related to dentistry. Research is a good EC, especially if you end up getting published, so I would recommend looking around for Research Tech/Clinical Research Tech positions in any of the STEM fields. As long as you feel comfortable with the research they’re doing, it’s worth it, especially bc it helps you work on your hand skills as research can be very hands-on and require some finesse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just volunteered and worked a non-related dental job. Got accepted, as long as they see you’re doing something and not sitting around, it won’t be a problem. Just focus on the DAT, volunteer, and work any job.

Just working or doing anything is fine. I got a job as a swim coach - so glad I did this because it’s good pay and I had a ton of fun and my hours allowed me to study hard for the DAT which I took in June. Got laid off bc of covid and started to work for an ortho office. At all of my interviews they were super impressed that I decided to keep trying to find a job even through this pandemic.
At the end of the day, if you have experience in the dental field already, just do a fun job!

Kill the DAT, and just work any job you’d enjoy along with volunteering (after taking the DAT)

Reactions: 1 users
i worked in a derm clinic and now working for a city with the covid tracers/vaccine planning. Doesn't need to be dental related

Reactions: 1 users
Worked as a dental assistant untill COVID made me lose my job. Been living at home ever since.