What did you do with your premed textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Sophomore who has taken MOST of my premed prereqs by the end of the spring (only have Physics left). I'm curious to know how beneficial your textbooks were in terms of studying/restudying important concepts for the MCAT.

What did you do with them or did you even need them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a Sophomore who has taken MOST of my premed prereqs by the end of the spring (only have Physics left). I'm curious to know how beneficial your textbooks were in terms of studying/restudying important concepts for the MCAT.

Please state which of the following you did or plan on doing with your premed textbooks:

(1) I didn't like my textbooks. I only rarely or moderately looked at them to study for the MCAT

(2) Cherished them and used them as the backbone of my MCAT prep

(3) Burned or sold them (which ever you prefer). Didn't use my textbooks to review with.

(4) I have those damn books somewhere but never really used them, had MCAT material from Kaplan, EK, or another study program that I used to
go over the important concepts

(5) Textbooks? Why would I buy those to begin with.....

(6) Other- PLEASE EXPLAIN!

I happily sold them back and had fantastic nights at the bar. Never touched them for my MCAT prep as I took a Kaplan class and had more than enough study materials. You'll get a hefty chunk of change for reselling those bad boys, take the money dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guarantee you don't look at them for MCAT prep. The materials you are given in any prep class, or in any prep book, more than exceed the knowledge youa ctually need. Imagine going through all the notes of all the classes you've ever taken. No thank you.

Sell them. Try to sell them to lower classmen, pricing them higher if you give them your notes as well.

Sold 'em. Held on to my Berg Biochemistry book "in case I want[ed] to look at it during biochem in med school." Sold it a short time later.

Sold on half.com. I did it as soon as I got my grade back because I was always worried a new edition would come out and mine would be worthless.

Sold on half.com. I did it as soon as I got my grade back because I was always worried a new edition would come out and mine would be worthless.

Do sell it before it becomes worthless, if you ever want it back, you could buy it back later for like $1. But in terms of MCAT prep, I never looked back at any of my books.

Sold 'em. Held on to my Berg Biochemistry book "in case I want[ed] to look at it during biochem in med school." Sold it a short time later.

:laugh: That's hilarious.

+1

I've kept a few. I will never part with my two copies of Molecular Biology of the Cell (Alberts, 4th and 5th Editions). I also like my Biology of Microorganisms text (Brock, 9th Edition).

I've kept a few. I will never part with my two copies of Molecular Biology of the Cell (Alberts, 4th and 5th Editions). I also like my Biology of Microorganisms text (Brock, 9th Edition).

Ditto on that.

I'm keeping my Alberts forever, same goes for my biochem and o-chem text books (though I can never remember their authors and I don't have them with me right now).

Contrary to what some may think scientific resources are useful beyond studying for the MCATs. Depending on the text books you used in your courses some may come in handy. Alberts is a gold standard used at all levels.

In regards to the MCAT, what should I do with my textbooks?

This Monday is the start of the spring semester, and I can sell my old gchem and ochem books for around the same price that I bought them. I cannot assure that I can sell the same price a year or even a semester from now, so making this decision before then is crucial.

I haven't started studying for the MCAT yet, but for some reason I feel as if my textbooks will only be collecting dust even when I do start studying.

I wanted to actually reread all the important sections of each textbook in consideration to the topics covered on the MCAT so that I can have a fresh understanding. That may be too much material, but I thought about how much confidence something like that would give me (just the amount of time that I would spend rereading the material). Is this a stupid idea? Should I be worrying more on the actual preparation for the test, as in practicing speed and efficiency?

Would rereading the important sections in the textbook be a complete waste of time? Has anyone done this? Or did everyone end up just reselling their books.....

In regards to the MCAT, what should I do with my textbooks?

This Monday is the start of the spring semester, and I can sell my old gchem and ochem books for around the same price that I bought them. I cannot assure that I can sell the same price a year or even a semester from now, so making this decision before then is crucial.

I haven't started studying for the MCAT yet, but for some reason I feel as if my textbooks will only be collecting dust even when I do start studying.

I wanted to actually reread all the important sections of each textbook in consideration to the topics covered on the MCAT so that I can have a fresh understanding. That may be too much material, but I thought about how much confidence something like that would give me (just the amount of time that I would spend rereading the material). Is this a stupid idea? Should I be worrying more on the actual preparation for the test, as in practicing speed and efficiency?

Would rereading the important sections in the textbook be a complete waste of time? Has anyone done this? Or did everyone end up just reselling their books.....

If the only reason you would be saving the textbooks is for the MCATs, sell them. I used Alberts maybe once during studying and that was the only textbook I used. You will be much better off getting MCAT specific material to study, because what is found in your text book is WAY more than you will ever be tested on.

The only reason to keep your text books is if you feel like they would be useful resources down the line, or you just want to have them to put in the bookshelf of your office so you can take a stroll down memory lane once and awhile. If neither of these things sound appealing to you, sell them.

If the only reason you would be saving the textbooks is for the MCATs, sell them. I used Alberts maybe once during studying and that was the only textbook I used. You will be much better off getting MCAT specific material to study, because what is found in your text book is WAY more than you will ever be tested on.

The only reason to keep your text books is if you feel like they would be useful resources down the line, or you just want to have them to put in the bookshelf of your office so you can take a stroll down memory lane once and awhile. If neither of these things sound appealing to you, sell them.

If I did keep my book, it would be for those reasons alone. However, I've decided that because of the large amount of money I would be getting in return for selling them tomorrow, I am better off selling them tomorrow, and buying them on amazon for half the price in a couple of months. (If I decided I wanted them.)

Thanks for the replies