What did you do.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asm028400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I am not a DO yet but really want to be there someday. I was just wondering if any of you can give me tips to help increase my odds of acceptance. My GPA is a 3.75, 3.55 science, but, ARGHHH... I got a 24 N on my MCAT. Retaking in Aug. is not an option for me but I may retake in April if I don't get in. I am applying to NYCOM, PCOM, UNECOM and Touro. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

asm028400 said:
Sorry, I am not a DO yet but really want to be there someday. I was just wondering if any of you can give me tips to help increase my odds of acceptance. My GPA is a 3.75, 3.55 science, but, ARGHHH... I got a 24 N on my MCAT. Retaking in Aug. is not an option for me but I may retake in April if I don't get in. I am applying to NYCOM, PCOM, UNECOM and Touro. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Try to do well in August. If you don't, you still have a good chance at acceptance since your gpa is relatively high. Write a well thought out personal statement and contact your school of choice now.

I'd do exactly what he the previous poster said, you have fairly good scores now, so if you don't do much better on the MCAT, don't sweat it too much and prepare your personal statement. Also be relaxed in your interviews, I helped on the DMU interview committee this year as a 2nd year, and the interview played an equal or greater part in our decisions on letting people in...........just be confident and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply and see what happens. Do apply soon so you can have your application complete at early stages of the game. If it doesn't work out, you should re-take the MCAT in April.

asm028400 said:

I think you will have a good chance, since your GPA is above avg and your MCAT is just a little bit below the avg for these osteopathic schools. (Touro claim that they have an avg MCAT of 25.5).

Apply to WesternU/COMP as well as some others...might as well apply to as many as you can so you give yourself the best shot of getting in this go around.

I agree that applying to more schools will definitely help your chances. As most of your listed schools were in the northeast, UMDNJ-COM and LECOM should be considered. If being in this region isn't a priority, it can't hurt to apply to many more schools (in the end its worth the extra application fees IMO)

Thank you all for this excellent advice!

I am a MS2.9 at KCOM and my wife works in the admissions office. Let me give you the biggest advice any one can give you at this time, APPLY EARLY . I don't care what other people may tell you, do not wait to get your August scores back. Bottom line applying early will be the most significant thing you can do. :cool: