What did you eat before taking morning MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those of you who have taken MCAT before. What did you eat before taking morning MCAT? something that would give you enough energy for the long 5 hour testing session which would also not bother your guts perhaps? Has any one tried carbohydrate gels that long-distance runners eat or power drinks?

Members don't see this ad.

Bacon, chocolate glazed doughnuts and chocolate milk. :thumbup:

I had a protein bar during the break.

I would not recommend that breakfast for anything other than peace of mind and taste, though. :laugh:

cereal for breakfast, and brought a peanut butter sandwich for break

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of protein. Some steak, eggs, and low glycemic carbohydrates. You want long-lasting and highly energetic food. Pack a few snacks; protein bars, nuts for the breaks. Take it easy on the water.

i ate raw meat. then punched a bear in the face.

A small cup of dry cereal in the car.

I never usually eat breakfast....don't switch things up from how you normally function.

I ate a bowl of oatmeal because it releases energy over a long period of time. For breaks I brought granola bars and a thermos of orange juice for a small sugar boost between sections.

Just don't do meth and you'll be fine.

Cereal, fruit, milk... a classic kid's meal.

O, and coffee!

I ate limitations and shat possibilities

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those of you who have taken MCAT before. What did you eat before taking morning MCAT? something that would give you enough energy for the long 5 hour testing session which would also not bother your guts perhaps? Has any one tried carbohydrate gels that long-distance runners eat or power drinks?

i wouldn't try anything that i haven't ate in the morning before, because if you are tryin to find a good meal for the morning on mcat day, its the best that you eat what u usally eat every morning. because if u eat something that ur not use to, u might get a bad reaction.

Definitely agree not to eat something new the morning of the MCAT - if you want to try something, do it a week or so before the exam.
Protein and complex carbohydrates are best to keep you from getting hungry during the exam. If all you eat is simple sugars, you'll crash not long into the exam. I.e. high protein and whole wheat = good. candy bars and other sugary things = bad.

Nothing in the morning. I forced myself to eat a blueberry muffin during break so I could get through the second half.

I recommend eating something before you leave. Raw meat seems to work for some.

nothing. I volunteered at the free clinic where i normally volunteer at on Saturdays from 8.AM to 12.30. I Then drove to the testing center and wrote my MCAT from 1pm to 6pm. Not once during the whole test did I remember I had not eaten.

And when i got done, i was too sad to even eat. I just went straight to bed mad!!! Even then sleep wouldn't come. Why do we have to wait a month for our results again? I want mine now!!!

I can't even remember. But I did take a granola bar and energy drink and water to consume during the breaks.

Nothing, I would've thrown up if I ate anything

Don't remember what I ate -- I just remember making a point to eat a LOT. My stomach always growls while taking exams and I didn't want it to be a distraction. I was stuffed when I got to the exam center and my stomach was growling even before the break. :rolleyes: I brought apples with peanut butter and a power bar for snack time. Oh and I limited the coffee. The surging adrenaline kept me awake just fine, and I didn't want to feel jittery.

hmmmm....i cant remember breakfast. maybe cereal (special K vanilla almond). but for sure i brought with me a peanut butter and banana sandwich and lemonlime gatorade.
just be sure not do drink any diuretic (coffee, esp iced tea, etc)

McDonalds Deluxe breakfast.

It really is the breakfast of champions for $4.

(and not saying I'm a champion, just wheaties needs to knock it off b/c mcdonalds > wheaties)

I ate the same thing I have every morning...

peppers.jpg

then I burped...

photo.cms

Last edited:
I think I ate cereal and brought wheat thins for break. just eat whatever fills you up normally. The time will FLY by.

Before: oatmeal with walnuts and banana slices
During: apple slices
After: delicious fried fish, hush puppies....delicious!

I plan on hitting up Dunkin Donuts for a huge cup of coffee and a sausage egg and cheese on a bagel. Mmmmm.

I'll bring water (maybe juice or something else sweetened) and granola bars and such for snacks.

I think I remember the brain works optimally for long periods on complex carbs, protein, and not too much fat. I had oatmeal with scrambled eggs and maybe a pice of fruit. I had water, raspberries, and a power bar to snack on between sections. It helps blood flow to the brain (and to release nervous energy) to do some jumping squats and/or jog around the parking lot (seriously) before you start. And if you start feeling drowsy or out of it midway through it can help to do that yoga pose where you roll back on your shoulders with your feet stretched up to the sky. I know it sounds crazy but anything that elevates your legs will get your blood circulating better and wake you up. But whatever you do, be sure to eat the same thing before your practice tests so you know what works best for you. Also, caffeine and ephedrine help some people focus, but I tried both and they made me too jittery.

Ate an adderall with some orange juice. Mmm-mm good.

I had my usual breakfast....a bowl of gold and fire.

Baja chicken chalupa and a double decker taco.

It was good.

bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and a banana. i also downed a red bull and water

blueberry crisp cliff bar for the break

and i went to a korean restaurant with my friends for a victory meal :D

I had a 1:00 test. I ate a waffle at 11. And ate a snickers n twix around 12. N v8 vege fruit juice. After the exam go to Fridays to reward urself. Haha

I had a big mac with fries before my MCAT. I had to take my exam really far from where I was living, and little did I know there would be nothing but McDonalds and Burger King within 20 minutes of where I took my exam. Oops.

I ate nothing. And snacked on nothing.

I also wore this:
IPissExcellence_Hoodie_Fullpic_1.jpg

strong cup of white tea + 1/2 of the 6-hour energy shot
eggs + spinach

and then i had the other half of the energy shot during my break.
i never scored above a 29 on any of my practice tests. ended up with a 33 on the actual thing. must've done something :cool:

i had also been taking creatine for the month leading up to the test.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278

as for the tea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_tea#Boosts_mental_alertness
Boosts mental alertness
The amino acid L-theanine, found almost exclusively in the tea plant, actively alters the attention networks of the brain, according to results of human trials announced in September 2007. It has been proposed that theanine is absorbed by the small intestine and crosses the blood-brain barrier, where it affects the brain's neurotransmitters and increases alpha brain-wave activity. The result is a calmer, yet more alert, state of mind.[23][24]

i think a combination of all these things and some decent effort (about a month and a half of studying 3-4 hrs a day) helped me do this.
i smoked a fat blunt afterwards

Last edited:
I had a big mac with fries before my MCAT. I had to take my exam really far from where I was living, and little did I know there would be nothing but McDonalds and Burger King within 20 minutes of where I took my exam. Oops.

That's a breakfast of a champion.:thumbup:

2 adderals and a strong cup of coffee. lol.

Breuggers Bagel (more specifically a Better Bacon Chedder on Asiago Parmesean Bagel). Not sure where in the Country they have Brueggers, but if you're from NC, you probably know what I'm talking about... yummmmmmmmm.

Also a banana during break #1 and allso about 4 Strawberry-Kiwi FOCUS Vitamin waters... I used to be addicted to those things during that whole year I was studying for the MCAT.

But seriously... only eat what you're comfortable eating. One of my biggest fears was having digestive issues in the middle of a big test like that... how much would that suck??

I did the same thing I did for my routine when I took my practice tests --
Ruby Red Grapefruit juice
Peanut Butter Cookie (Or protein bar)

I went with the protein bar on MCAT day ;)

Ruby Red Grapefruit juice is my lucky charm, hahah.

Coffee and a beignet. However, instead of powdered sugar, I used Adderall.

I ate lightening and crapped thunder.

Man, I wanted to say something funny but there's no way I can top "i ate raw meat and then punched a bear in the face"

I went to Main Street Bakery and had a giant belgian waffle with berries and whipped cream, 2 eggs, side of potatoes w/ peppers and 1 (too much would make me jittery) cup of coffee. I felt great when I got there. During the break I had a protein bar. I felt more focused and calm when I took the real thing over my practice exams. :D

I think the key is not overeating, don't have too much sugar or caffeine

Afterwards, I had 2 strawberry martini's from Cheesecake Factory :p :nod:

i had a grand slam from denny's and a large glass of OJ. Combined with a protein bar during the test break, I wasn't hungry at all the whole time, but the OJ made me piss like a race horse during physics

I cheated. I went on coffee.

Reactions: 1 user