Knitress

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Starbucks chai latte and morning bun. Well, actually, that's what I wanted to eat, but I was too nervous to actually manage more than a bite or two.

Same thing for my interview. Forget Wheaties, Starbucks is the Breakfast of Champions. :D

DALee33

MS3
10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Texas
Status
Medical Student
--Oatmeal about an hour before the test
--I put a protein bar + banana + a powerade + bottle of water in the locker to snack on/take sips of during breaks

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i hate nothing on purpose.

i drank a guayaki.

edit: i'm going to leave that freudian slip.

erskine

hit it, H
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
steel cut oats is a bitch to cook, but is amazingly good (i heard jamba juice started putting these on their menu, i still have to try one) + granola + walnuts + cinnamon + brown sugar. Tastes great and its good for you.

glass of skim milk.

2 boiled eggs.

A papaya and some orange slices.

I'm a firm believer that a proper diet and exercise regime can work wonders on cognitive abilities. Everytime i eat a meal heavy in grease, or overabundant with carbs, i get groggy and need to take a nap afterwards- probably not a good idea for the mcat.

Dianyla

in denial
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Status
Pre-Medical
don't switch things up from how you normally function.
Best advice ever. :thumbup:

I have a long and inglorious history of GI distress during high-stress exams, so I was extremely careful with all of my food intake for the week leading up to the MCAT, only eating foods that I know I can digest well and won't have issues with. For test day, I packed a lunchbag of healthy snacks and was planning to have a nice moderate breakfast and a leisurely morning relaxing before the noon test time.

But then nothing went as planned. Early on test morning I was woken up by a phonecall from work for a very critical system outage. I spent all morning working furiously on that in a cold sweat and didn't even have time to eat breakfast or even brush my teeth or hair. I fixed the down system just in time and ran out the door to the test center, stopping for a latte and two brownies from a coffee shop on the way.

I spent all of the test breaks cramming water and frantically nibbling on brownies like a rabid squirrel. Thankfully everything went fine, but I really don't recommend this strategy! :eek:

There was, of course, a sushi blowout for dinner. :D

Sweetpea MD

nap time!
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
a bowl of cereal with almond milk and i brought a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat for breaks as well as some reduced fat cheese-its and an apple. oh, and a diet coke :D

rHinO1

Grindin' Until I'm Tired
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
When I did my practice tests I drove to my school library and took them there at the same time I was going to do the real thing. Each time, I went to IHOP first and I found that I felt the best during the test when I had pancakes. So I had pancakes before the real test too.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
I took the noon test and ate a subway meatball sub beforehand, it was like sawdust in my mouth b/c i was nervous but I pretty much just force fed it to myself.

Seemed to work well

Girfaroo

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I probably did exactly what you're not supposed to do... but it worked for me!

Toast with Nutella, glass of milk for breakfast. And I took those bite-size candy bars and ate one during each break. Sugar to the rescue!