What did you eat for lunch during MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakazoid

Guy Friend Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Strange how my essay and bio score showed a marked decrease in comparison to verbal and physical sciences the first time. And all I had was a Subway veggie sandwich. I was hoping for something that wouldn't put me to sleep and energizes my brain . . . any nutritionists in the house?

Members don't see this ad.

leorl could probably give you the lowdown on that stuff. She is mad-crazy-smart about nutrition.

I ate granola bars and fruit and drank water. But I wasn't thinking about performance -- that stuff was just convenient.

Subway :D

Listening to Rage Against The Machine was all I needed to stay energized.

Members don't see this ad :)
i ate the same ham and cheese sandwhich i had been eating for a week. that was the problem - the meat was old and i got really really sick. hah - ah well, it was ok in the end.

During TPR, my friends and I would eat at Subway during our lunch breaks on mock mcat days. So on the big day, most people did the same thing. I, on the other hand, was within walking distance of my apartment. I went home, fixed a sandwich and chips, sat on the couch and watched tv. :D

Cereal. Yum. Just enough to be filling, but not so much that you feel sluggish and gross. :cool:

I had 2 chocolate and raspberry candy bars for lunch. And I think a plastic bottle of orange juice. I also had a terrible case of the flu! And I made it out with a 33P, 10 verbal, 11 phys, 12 bio. Though when I got home I seriously thought I had bombed it! Makes you wonder what I would have done had I not been so ill!

Jade~

Here's what I had (I like variety!)

1. Powerbar (the nutty kind; nuts are supposed to be brain food)
2. 2-3 Oreo cookies for each break (I need sugar!)
3. One coke bottle (need the caffeine. One bottle should last you all day)
4. Almonds = BRAIN FOOD!!! Bring a fist full of those.
5. Perhaps if you like trail mix, get that??
7. Fruit--grapes to much on during each break.
8. Potassium filled BANANA.
9. One sandwich. :) Make your own in the morning to keep your mind off the damn test for atleast 5 mins.

10. Water. Don't drink more than 12 ounces. You'll wanna pee!!

During each break I had a mini hershey's bar (more psychological than anything I think... plus one of the dr's i work with told me to have sugar during the breaks...)

For lunch, i met my boyfriend (a non MCAT taker) for lunch at the student center and had Pizza Hut! It was just relaxing enough to take the edge off the test....

:) :) :)

subway club meal: sour cream and onion baked lays, club had lettuce, tomato, spicey mustard. Dr. Pepper to drink, peppermints for breath..costs $7.07, repeat during entire kaplan course to get timing right, and repeat on test day.

=D W3rd

PB & J, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Originally posted by kaos
PB & J, that's what I'm talkin' about.

PB&J

That's the safest thing to eat. Good for energy and won't upset ur stomach or anything like that. I actually brought jars of jam and pb and a loaf of bread to the test so I could relax at the break and make my own sandwiches.

i ate up my friend who was feeling kinda down on herself :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i had subway. 6" veggies n cheese sub...chocolate chip cookie...and during test breaks, i munched on granola bars and had a steady supply of powerade.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
i ate up my friend who was feeling kinda down on herself :D

:eek:

i'll eat you all for lunch!

I had Taco Bell! But um...I wouldn't recommend it...I just happen to have an iron stomach.

Dr. Kevin 40,
Mannnn...did you leave any leftovers?:laugh:

Originally posted by freakazoid
Strange how my essay and bio score showed a marked decrease in comparison to verbal and physical sciences the first time. And all I had was a Subway veggie sandwich. I was hoping for something that wouldn't put me to sleep and energizes my brain . . . any nutritionists in the house?

A high carb lunch is guaranteed to put you to sleep. You need protein on that sandwich.

I ate something light (like a sandwich), a bag of chips, and a non-carbonated drink (to avoid feeling bloated)...try to eat what you normally eat for lunch this way your body doesn't feel off kilter during the examination. Also, try avoiding fatty/greasy foods since they tend to make you sluggish. And DON'T drink too much water during the day b/c you won't want to waste any valuable time making trips to the restroom. Oh yeah, and try to find out where the restroom is BEFORE the exam begins! Good luck later this month. :cool:

Whatever you do, don't try and be a hero by eating something you wouldn't ordinarliy eat. I had a friend who did, halfway through the test, he regretted the decision. Use your imagination here.

Originally posted by lamyers1
I had Taco Bell! But um...I wouldn't recommend it...I just happen to have an iron stomach.

ewww :eek:

You must have a GI tract of steel, man. Taco Hell would have been disastrous for me, ripping ass tornadoes all through the biological sciences, ugh

oh, whatever you do, avoid coffee (or anything else caffeinated like soda) if you can. Dont want to either a) come crashing down from a caffeine high or b) having to pee during the test.

I was in the first trimester of my pregnancy when i took the april mcat this year. That being said, I tried to eat a very light lunch (two bagels with cream cheese) so as to avoid any unexpected digestive issues. I became so sleepy for the writing sample but i think that had more to do with my condition than the meal i ate. I also drank a little less water in general and I still had to make a mad dash for the bathroom in every break.:eek: Worked for me more or less.:D

racergirl and exigente chic,

:)

nothing... I could not find where I parked my car because I was in a hurry in the morning. So I jsut left it at some parking lot and ran for the test. There were no places to eat near the school and I did not take any food with me either.

I think you should tell us your scores along with what you ate.

All you really need to eat is something that will spike your blood sugar a little and some protein to go with that. It's better to undereat than overeat.

Avoid lunch meats. Their protein sucks in quantity and quality. Avoid turkey at all costs. It'll make you tired.

A good MCAT lunch:

Small bowl of Oatmeal, Mashed potatoes, or Rice. ~40-50g Carbs
Canned Tuna. ~25g protein
Small serving of Corn or Green Beans.
An Apple.

If you eat this clean your body will be less likely to crash from a quick, overabundant insulin release.

Also, don't be afraid to supplement with caffeine if you really need it.

Originally posted by LizardKing

Also, don't be afraid to supplement with caffeine if you really need it.

on the flip side, definitely not the time to start using it.

Definitely true. I was used to using caffeine for my workouts, so I used some for the MCAT lunch break. It worked ok.

Stay the hell away from things like ephedrine and ma huang. Your heart will be pounding so hard you won't be able to think.

Originally posted by DW

on the flip side, definitely not the time to start using it.

Don't forget, what you eat the night before the MCAT is just as important as what you eat the day of.

I'd eat a lot of pasta the night before. Get some protein in your system a couple hours before you go to sleep.

I'm thinking I had a bagel with cream cheese... and some sort of Apple-pie-brownie thing. Or maybe that was during a kaplan practice test... hmm....

My MCAT breakfast and lunch. My score was a 37N (11V, 13PS, 13BS).

Breakfast:
2 servings of Oatmeal. ~60g Complex Carbs
5 Scrambled Egg Whites. ~20 g Protein
1 Apple.
1 Banana.

Lunch:
Canned Red Salmon. ~25g Protein
1 Power Bar. ~30 Carbs, ~15 g Protein
Applesauce.
1/2 Cup of Coke. ~75 mg Caffeine.
Bong Hit.

Originally posted by I'M_Posting

I took my test in Irvine where they only had yuppie food places nearby. I ate at Koo-Koo Roo and had a $7 BBQ Chicken sandwich. Despite the cost, it was good. After eating I sat in my car listening to the Who and Led Zeppelin for the next 30 minutes. I think that's what relaxed me and made me do so well on the bio and writting parts of the test. (I had MUCH higher scores on those sections).

I think there is a page missing here?

Originally posted by I'M_Posting

ha ha

ok, to the best of my recollection:
35R (10V, 12P, 13B, WS R)

1 bowl of oatmeal
3 scrambled eggs
two strips of bacon
one strawberry nutrigrain
a tall glass of OJ

lunch:
tuna on wheat
dannons low fat peach yogurt (i think)
a V8

so as you can see between lizardking and I, an extra bowl of oatmeal and a small dose of cannibus will raise your verbal and physical by a point, but might hurt your writing sample a little ;)

Koo Koo Roo is goooood. Their chicken sandwiches I recommend.

Originally posted by Kazzar
I took my test in Irvine where they only had yuppie food places nearby. I ate at Koo-Koo Roo and had a $7 BBQ Chicken sandwich. Despite the cost, it was good. After eating I sat in my car listening to the Who and Led Zeppelin for the next 30 minutes. I think that's what relaxed me and made me do so well on the bio and writting parts of the test. (I had MUCH higher scores on those sections).

niceshirt.jpg

Some pretty high scores . . . good job, guys! :)

qweewq11, what's up with the picture?

OMG, you ate her?!?! :eek:

Good ol Turkey Sandwitch, and Powerbar, Also had a PowerGel...

for breakfast I had some raisin bread. For lunch i only ate half a granola bar and a bag of chips. Physical science had fcuked me up and I didn't really feel like eating. In addition, there was the fact that I don't like eating breakfast or eating that early in the day. What a great test day that was:rolleyes:

peace