What did you get on ur 1st practiceMCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maria09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished soph yr, starting the kaplan course in 2 days and we are taking a practice exam on the very 1st day... What is a normal score for when you first start?

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished soph yr, starting the kaplan course in 2 days and we are taking a practice exam on the very 1st day... What is a normal score for when you first start?

Most of my class had around 16-17 on their diagnostic.

id say anywhere between a 30 and a 40. lol jk. doesnt matter really. these diagnostics are meant to scare u into studying. i think i got like a 23 or something like that on the first diagnostic i took. now im getting around 30 and i still have a couple months left to study. screw the diagnostic. just use it as a guide for how long the MCAT is.

I took The Princeton Review, and their first diagnostic is always killer. The neutron-circuit passage and such are just meant to scare you.

I got a 27 on my first diagnostic, and it went up from there... most people tend to average about ten points lower (between a 16 and 17), and then most people improve 10 points from first to last diagnostic, which is why so many people score around 26-27 I suppose.

Don't worry if your score is low-- you will improve quite a bit once you get familiar with the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored a 16 L on my first princeton review diag...The verbal kicked my ass...and I didn't know what format they wanted the writing section to be in!

hahahah the diagnostic raped me. I got like an 18 when I took it, with a 5 on verbal. I pretty much took it as though I didnt know how to read

But not to worry - continue practicing.. :thumbup:

My experience with the kaplan diagnostic was kind of weird. I got a 31 going into it without any studying whatsoever. I decided not to do the kaplan course and I self-studied my butt off for several months and got a 31 on the real thing. That was kind of disappointing. Not really sure how to interpret it, but do take your diagnostic score with a grain of salt.

My experience with the kaplan diagnostic was kind of weird. I got a 31 going into it without any studying whatsoever. I decided not to do the kaplan course and I self-studied my butt off for several months and got a 31 on the real thing. That was kind of disappointing. Not really sure how to interpret it, but do take your diagnostic score with a grain of salt.

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard! You must have felt like crap...

I got a 31 on the diagnostic test also.

I didn't have enough money for the class, or the materials, so I looked at MCAT pearls, read here online, and my parents bought me a 40 dollar MCAT book for Christmas, lol.