What did you get out of leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aegistitan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people get out of their leadership experiences? What did you learn from them?

I was the president of my fraternity but I don't think I got much out of it

Members don't see this ad.

What did you have to do that a traditional member didn't? Were there any times where it became a challenge? How did you handle conflict between members?

See if that gets you anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's safe to say that this is the reason why they tell you to do something you love when it comes to experiences.

OP, reflect. Why did you do it? Think about it. And if you did it because you wanted to check off a box, then I don't think any of us can help you.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I bolstered my self-awareness, gained a newfound sense of pride in my accomplishments, developed an innate feeling of responsibility for myself and all those under my supervision, and learned to take initiative much more willingly and spontaneously: qualities that will successfully carry me through a career in medicine.

Please acknowledge me in your citations on your secondaries.

Reactions: 3 users
I said I got "experience managing people's skills, understanding how to make a team work effectively, and developing excellent understanding of administrative programmatics" yada yada yada.

All I really got was more work.

Realizing different departments do not, in fact, communicate with each other. You're the giant multi-purpose bridge that tries to connect them all. However, Human Resources will constantly try to burn your bridge when you stop looking at them. Every f**king time.

Reactions: 1 user
All too often you get all of the responsibility and none of the authority. You will find if you are taking the reins of responsibility from someone else there are pre-existing monsters that are too huge for you to do battle with alone. Do not tackle them alone. You will be held accountable for things that are not your fault and actually tried to fix. No matter what you do some folks aren't going to do what you say especially if they are older than you (and have more years of experience than your chronological age). However, you may find some new found friends that may have a new found respect for you provided you are doing your job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile