What did you guys research in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexamasan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm just wondering if any of you guys do research. What are you researching? I personally don't think I'm going to get into research, but I may in my later years of college, but I'm just curious what you guys research.

Members don't see this ad.

I did research on E. Coli cytokinesis.
The main idea of the research was at the 3' tail of DNA there are many segments which are phosphorylated or unphosphrylated and we were trying to understand the code between phosphorylation and division/differentiation of cells. I specifically worked on a protein which reads the segments.

Spent over a year gene hunting! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I did helped an ortho resident on her thesis project (Dental Research)... Yay! Specifically, examining the short term effects of rapid maxillary expansion using 3D cone beam images.

I researched Pomegranite Juice and other natural anti-oxidant beverages effects on Bacteria and Virus. We primarily used Staph Aureus, Bacillus Cerius and Strep-Mutans. I also did extensive research with pomegranite and the very deadly MRSA.

I'm sequencing genes for mutants in maize plants...I feel like its more about the experience then what you are actually researching.

Effects of RNAi on ciliated protozoan Tetrahymena Thermophila to test the knock down of motor protein dynien. Could not finish :(

EDIT: 1000 posts!

I lucked out and met a research periodontist at our med school. Here's some that I'm working on:

1. The effects of using triclosan in toothpaste to reduce inflammation and inflammatory cytokines in the bloodstream.
2. The usefulness of a questionaire given to pediatric patients to help pediatricians in refering patients to dentists to evaluate oral health.
3. Correlation between diabetic children and advanced periodontal disease.

Just do any research that interests you. They're more interested that you are a "self-learner" and that you thrive for knowledge. They want thinkers not just (pardon the expression) information regurgitators.

Last edited:
In undergrad I helped research genetic abnormalities behind cleft lip and palate.

Right now I am working on child hereditary immunodefficiencies (combined immunodefficiencies)

evolution of mitochondrial DNA in Phytophthora infestans
Effects of Sleep Debt on College Students

Carbohydrate research

Synthesis of Trimannose moiety for GPI anchor.

characterizing apoptotic pathways in mouse PCT cells
studying oligo myelination in perinatal rat white matter

steroid sulfatase inhibitors for breast cancer and bone cancer. i was working on finding one that worked in the breast but not in the bone

Members don't see this ad :)
Exploring new dental imaging techniques to ultimately replace X-ray, and looking into the use of spectroscopy for early oral cancer detection, all really cool stuff!

P.S. Hamsters are much better to work with than rats, go go hamsters!

I did research on the photochemistry of a couple different compounds. My advice is to be patient and wise when choosing your research topic/advisor. Pick something that interests you.

I researched a genetic disorder called Cleidocranial Dysplasia (CCD).
People with this have absent collar bones and supernumerary teeth.

Research is boring.:thumbup:

Pick something that interests you.

I second that. I did research on sol-gel germanium-based materials for chromatographic separation, and sample pre-concentration by capillary micro- extraction. This was really intense research because the slightest and most minute shift in Eq will ruin a whole days work. We put most of our time amkeing sure the system is as "perfect" as possible. I also did research with organic synthesis<<<< BORING lol or to me it was.

! :D :D ! Happy to see so many Microbiologists in here, or at least doing research in it.

I worked with the heat tolerance of different Salmonella typhirium strands in the Food Micro department. We used that data to determine the best temperature to HTST (high temp, short time) eggs. Also helped with their other project, which was effect of ozone on Salmonella.

I'm doing my thesis now and am researching the role that a spinothalamic pathway plays in both the mediation of reward and the inhibition of sexual behaviour following ejaculation.

It's so interesting - definitely research something that peaks your interest (i.e. I absolutely HATE G-protein coupled receptors and avoided doing any research with them like the plague.. I'm definitely enjoying my project much more!)

And just goes to show you that it REALLY doesn't matter what you research - this could not be less related to dentistry if I tried.. :)

I did two.

1. Stem cell research: liver regeneration via gene therapy using virus mediated delivery
2. Dental engineering research: new imaging technology (patent pending), lots of calculus, programming, and engineering

Funnnnnnnn

My research was in the field of molecular genetics. I sequenced a gene of Callinectes sapidus (the blue crab --- mmm, tasty) and evaluated its potential for use as a 'housekeeping' gene (that is, a gene whose expression doesn't change in different conditions so that it may be used as a reference when studying other gene products). Got to do lots and lots of very exciting PCR .... lots of pipeting tenths of microliters of liquid ... lots of proofreading of chromatographs from the gene sequencer. I also worked with a similar gene in Carcinus maenus (the green crab) but didn't get enough work done with it to present it. I got to make lots of 'got crabs?'-esque jokes as part of the Crab Lab.

worked on a mindfulness based relapse prevention study for substance abuse

platokethers synthesis, conducitive coatings, transcription, and liquid crystals.

I'm sequencing genes for mutants in maize plants...I feel like its more about the experience then what you are actually researching.

workin for Bass? my buddy did research with him his senior year on a similar project. I did research with Logan..

Hup

I also did something non-medically related and it still came up in conversation during interviews. I researched the synthesis of semi-conductor dyes to use in photovoltaic cells to basically find a cheap way to replace silicone solar panels. I guess it is cool to do some dental or micro research--it might help show your commitment to the profession? But ANY research IMO, shows that you weren't just a book worm gunnin' for a 4.0...

i did clinical research at the psychiatric department looking at the effect different psychiatric medications have on the dental hygiene of psychiatric patients. :)

Last two years of undergrad I worked on research involving Dopaminergic pathways in the swimming neural circuit of the medicinal leech. Also studied the intrinsic electrical effects of Dopamine and other amines on motor neurons. Presented poster, spoke at a seminar in front of the entire school of science, and eventually published a primary paper in a neuro journal with my colleague. It was a really cool experience.