What did you guys take to your interview?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have some of my interviews coming up and was wondering that what did you guys take with you to the interview. I mean in the hand did you have some kind of notepad or you didn;t take anything at all. Any suggestions what to take. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe this person is getting interviews and I'm not.

jabeck74 said:

It's not that bad of a question compared to some of the things asked here.

Members don't see this ad :)
jabeck74 said:

Maybe because he has a better attitude than you?

This is a very legitimate question and its been asked before, and there were a lot of replies. The only thing you really should bring is maybe a nice business folder with some paper and a pen. Also some tissues would be nice in case of an emergency (spill, sweaty hands, or what not). You don't want to be carrying in a huge backpack around all day and into the interview with you. :)

tinman831 said:
Maybe because he has a better attitude than you?:)

I agree with this statement.

tinman831 said:
Maybe because he has a better attitude than you?

This is a very legitimate question and its been asked before, and there were a lot of replies. The only thing you really should bring is maybe a nice business folder with some paper and a pen. Also some tissues would be nice in case of an emergency (spill, sweaty hands, or what not). You don't want to be carrying in a huge backpack around all day and into the interview with you. :)

I think tinman831 is one of the nicest members on the board. Always so helpful. :thumbup:

"I can't believe this person is getting interviews and I'm not."

with a statement like that, im actually glad that other person is getting the interview and not u. i'd rather have someone like him as my classmate.

u might be worried, but chill. degrading others wont make the situation a whole lot better.

Mustt Mustt said:
Hey guys I have some of my interviews coming up and was wondering that what did you guys take with you to the interview. I mean in the hand did you have some kind of notepad or you didn;t take anything at all. Any suggestions what to take. Thanks

Manilla folder containing a list of questions for the faculty and students.

To some I've taken nothing, to others a notepad. A pen is always helpful to have handy. A handkerchief is always a good idea as stated above. Definately bring a list of questions you have for them becuase it's easy to forget what you wanted to ask in the moment.

And what exactly makes you think you should be getting interviews in the first place?

Beestieboy said:
To some I've taken nothing, to others a notepad. A pen is always helpful to have handy. A handkerchief is always a good idea as stated above. Definately bring a list of questions you have for them becuase it's easy to forget what you wanted to ask in the moment.

And what exactly makes you think you should be getting interviews in the first place?

Well, basically because I have common sense, which is the single best attribute for success in any field.

Obviously, bring a decent-looking folder with paper and a pen. And some questions you prepared ahead of time.

jabeck74 said:
Well, basically because I have common sense, which is the single best attribute for success in any field.

Obviously, bring a decent-looking folder with paper and a pen. And some questions you prepared ahead of time.

You might have common sense, but you're not very original.

Personally I'm going to bring ice skates and a tu-tu. And when they ask why I bought the ice skates I'll just say, "I do everything with these babies on...(wink)... Everything!"

donkeywhisperer said:

Personally I'm going to bring ice skates and a tu-tu. And when they ask why I bought the ice skates I'll just say, "I do everything with these babies on...(wink)... Everything!"

I like that idea, I may do that too next time.

donkeywhisperer said:

LMAO!!! Now that is a way to get them to remember you. :laugh: They might call in the men in white coats, but hey....they'll remember you.

This question is as basic as what to bring to the interview, but what's the standard convention for following up an interview? Do interviewees typically thank their interviewers via email?

I just brought a business folder with me and a pen.
Some schools (like Pitts) provide you space to store your belongings (like backpacks, etc.) so that you don't have to carry it with you during the interview. I'm going to make use of it for sure for an early checkout from the hotel.
I'm sure if you ask the admissions office to hold on to your backpack, i'm sure they'll gladly do that for you.

And yes, this is one place where i won't carry my surfboard with me. I mean... they've compelled me not to :(

But if i'm going to USC for an interview, heck i'll see who stops me from carrying my surfboard with me. I might just take it to the admissions office and ask them to hold on to it along with my backpack while i interview. Same applies to Nova.
:laugh:

drengineer said:
I just brought a business folder with me and a pen.
Some schools (like Pitts) provide you space to store your belongings (like backpacks, etc.) so that you don't have to carry it with you during the interview. I'm going to make use of it for sure for an early checkout from the hotel.
I'm sure if you ask the admissions office to hold on to your backpack, i'm sure they'll gladly do that for you.

And yes, this is one place where i won't carry my surfboard with me. I mean... they've compelled me not to :(

But if i'm going to USC for an interview, heck i'll see who stops me from carrying my surfboard with me. I might just take it to the admissions office and ask them to hold on to it along with my backpack while i interview. Same applies to Nova.
:laugh:

you're so rad bro!

portfolio with a notepad, pen, purse and memorize questions to ask about the program. :)

be prepared for anything.. i like to pay close attention to what they say and try to follow up with one of their comments..

Booze, smokes, and a smile