What did you guys think of these two movies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Furious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I watched "Patch Adams" starring Robin Williams, and "The Doctor" starring William Hurt. I thought they were both pretty cool, with "The Doctor" being the 'awesomest'. Anyone else see those? They are both med-school related.

Mr. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I saw Patch Adams - never seen the other one.

Gross Anatomy is still the best medical/med student movie of all times (barely beating out Getting In)

I thought 'Awakening' by Robin Williams and Rob Dinero was awesome too !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just love how Patch decided to go to med school and *poof* he was there. If only it were that easy!

Without overanalyzing it, it was pretty good.

"Getting in" IS my absolute favourite "teen movie" of all time. I've seen it countless times and have it on video. It was such an awesome flick, too bad it did poorly at the box office.

Swampy, Patch went to the "Medical College of Virginia" in the movie. Maybe it wasn't very competitive in 1969. So many people were "tuning in and dropping out" that a lot of schools were taking anyone with a pulse. That is why GW Bush was able to get into Harvard, BTW.

Mr. :mad:

patch adams is quite possibly one of the worst movies i've seen in my life. "we're doctors dammit, not machines. when you treat a disease, it's win lose, when you treat a patient you win every time." blah blah blah blah blah.

absolutely sappiest excuse for hollywood dribble EVER. and i dont understand the point: great, a first year med student goes nuts over the fact that clinical exposure doesn't start till third year. give me a break.

i walked out of the theater halfway through the movie. i was forced to watch it in its entirety on the bus from hell on a trip from wash.dc-nyc. argh!!!! i couldn't leave the bus!!!

gross anatomy, on the other hand, as well as getting in, are both quite excellent movies.
the doctor is pretty good too.

but patch adams sucked. movies about doctors showing "excessive happiness" are stupid. dr. giggles comes to mind.

I loved "The Doctor". It is a great movie for pre-meds, especially for those who don't have much experience being a patient. We actually watched it in one of my classes last semester!

Actually, the university in the movie was at the fictitious "Virginia Medical University"...but it was filmed on the campus of my alma mater--UNC-Chapel Hill...Go Tar Heels!!!

I've never seen gross anatomy, but I'm actually gonna buy it online for a dollar (I don't have HBO here)....I'm so exited :D

that's weird. they said they filmed the classroom scenes here at berkeley... leconte hall here. <shrug>, maybe they filmed different parts in different places

I like patch adams and I have'nt seen the other one. :)

gross anatomy may have been a fine movie, but it pales in comparison to matthew modine's earlier masterpiece: VisionQuest_ the breathtaking window into the odyssey that is the life of a high school wrestler trying to beat the state champion at the viciously difficult 156lbs weight class. Madonna makes a very special appearance in this true cinema classic.
you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cut 10lbs.

rent visionquest tonight.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
•gross anatomy may have been a fine movie, but it pales in comparison to matthew modine's earlier masterpiece: VisionQuest_ the breathtaking window into the odyssey that is the life of a high school wrestler trying to beat the state champion at the viciously difficult 156lbs weight class. Madonna makes a very special appearance in this true cinema classic.
you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cut 10lbs.

rent visionquest tonight.•••••VISIONQUEST!!! Haven't thought about that movie in awhile. Our wrestling team watched it every year before districts. Very classic.

How funny - the Doctor came on last night. Needless to say, I could not sit still. Sorry to those who liked it, but I found it to be pretty boring and predictable. I wanted to slap the doc - he had such major communication issues in the beginning and I felt bad for his wife. Patch Adams was a good movie - I got all weepy a couple of times while watching it.

Is the Doctor the movie where the doctor befriends a cancer patient and winds up dancing with her or something in the middle of the desert, while his wife at home is all pissed?

If so, it was ok, but nothing mindblowing.

Visionquest, on the other hand, was a fine film. Oh, how the goosebumps on my arms would arise as lowden swain jumped his rope in preparation for the biggest battle of his life. And by god, he ran everywhere. I was also moved by his mo-hawked friend (i believe a dillon) and how he never gave up on lowden. what a classic. the 80's style cannot be forgotten. he kicked shoot's ass, even with a tampon in his nose!

LOL - thats the one. Yeah he needed to be with his wife working things out.

Sorry to stray, but I think that Matt Modine's best movie role to date was Pvt. Joker in...come on, say it with me...Full Metal Jacket. I think that Kubrick lost his way towards the end but that scene with Modine and Arliss Howard swabbing the deck in the head, that is classic!