What did you major in before Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highschoolstud

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys majored in before Dental School because I don't want to major in Biology, but I think it may be the best.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm majoring in Anthropology with a minor in Spanish. So by all means, you DON'T need to major in Bio. You still need to take a bunch of science classes, but I honestly think that you will get plenty of science in dental school that you do not need to major in Biology unless you really want to. Based on your post, however, it doesn't seem like you really have a passion for biology, which will make your undergrad experience not as fun if you decide to major in it. Anyway, just a tip. Your undergraduate experience is a once in a lifetime experience to do whatever you want! Enjoy it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Major does not matter as long as u take pre-requisites for dental school.

Check page 4 of 8
http://www.adea.org/DEPR/Assocreportdec2000.PDF

You will find more Biology majors but if you are
a good student, you can major in any thing...just get
GPA>3.4 and DAT >19..All the best friend

I am not in Dental school yet. But my major is Biochemistry. That's a major that in my school requires many classes but it's great. As vishal_k32801 said major doesn't matter. as long as you do what you like and have all the pre-reqs. Gavin you did a mojor in English plus those minors, that's interesting.

Even though biology majors are dime-a-dozen (heh), I became a bio major anyway because I was good at it. :D Wierd that I would spend 4 years working as an IT guy after I graduated..

My B.S. is in biology with course concentrations in English and architecture.

I got a good start on those minors just from taking the dental prereqs. From there, it was usually just two or three more classes to get the minors. I figured why not, since they count as upper-division courses that schools typically appreciate.

Business Admin with emphasis on MIS/IT. Went back after graduation and almost finished with the prereq's. Keep in mind a dental practice is a small business. Wouldnt take it back if i could.

My major is bio-engineering pre-medical. I am trying to tell the department to convert it to BE pre-health professional. Also with a minor in psychology.

BA: German Language and Literature
MA: German Language and Literature

and I have always wanted to be a dentist!

hopefulgirl, you'll have to read poetry and novels to your patients. It might work better than anastesia :)
That's impressive - we have some smart people on this forum. Congradulation to all of you and good luck. I can't wat to become Colleagues with all of you!

Cell Biology/Neuroscience (CBN) and Economics double major with a minor in Psychology.

For all intensive purposes, your major does not matter. It's how well you do in school, how disciplined you are, and how passionate you are about dental school. Extracirriculars always help, but are definitely not necessary.

I just did the CBN thing cause it was the science major I truely enjoyed. Econ was my alternate forte, and Psychology supposedly has something to do with patient interaction (let alone social skills/understanding).

HTH

Major Physiology

Most electives were in psychology.

I took one course in Logic ---Brutal!!!!!!!

Business Marketing with an emphasis in finance, accounting, stats, and chem.

I did my BS in Mechanical Engineering and am working as a full time engineer. Planning to go back to do prerequisites and do my minor in Nutrition.

so good to see diversity in dentistry.