What did you major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsplayer24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently undeclared, and don't know what to switch into. I heard its better to do something other then science, but I dont know if thats true, any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if that is true or not. I majored in biology soley because I was interested in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently undeclared, and don't know what to switch into. I heard its better to do something other then science, but I dont know if thats true, any tips?

Major in whatever you want. You'll be doing science all through dental school, so you might as well take this chance to explore other interests. As long as you take the pre-reqs and maybe some of the recommended upper-level stuff, you'll be fine.

I actually think there were stats somewhere that said that other majors (buisness/social science/engineering, etc) had higher acceptance rates than your standard core science majors, but I can't find the link now.

Oh, I'm majoring in Psychology. I may add a minor in Political Science or History also.

English Literature/Creative Writing and Natural Science. :cool:

I am a piano performance major. Yes, I am pleased that I chose to study something I actually enjoyed, but let me tell you this: I have taken loads of extra upper division science classes to complement the music, not just pre-reqs but more stuff too. Baylor won't interview me and I'm a Texas resident, because "I don't have enough upper division science." Houston interviewed but then suggested I take moer science.

Now, if I had to do it over again I would take science, because apparently to some schools pre-reqs and """""highly recommended""""" courses are one and the same. Which I think is a load of crap.

best choice for ME: Biology

best choice for an acceptance to dental school: ANYTHING CREATIVE.

find something you love, and do well in it. Make sure you also get the prereqs done.

Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, with an economics minor :)

Molecular Biology and Microbiology:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Major- Biomedical Engineering [Concentration- Biomaterials]
Minor- Material Science and Engineering

University studies - 2 minors in Chem/Bio and a cluster in Business. I was Biology but now that I am in to d-school I could care less.

I studied Music Composition. While I have a very competitive application and have received several acceptances, I have to wonder if the lack of a scholarship offer from Penn and no acceptence yet from Maryland (despite having a "good" interview) have anything to do with my lack of upper-level science classes. There's always the chance that my personality isn't a good match, that I haven't been involved in enough medical-type extra-curriculars, or whatever. But, I think the more upper-level science classes you have to factor into your GPA, the better. It's also probably less stressful if you are a science major of some sort rather than another major trying to cram in what basically amounts to a second major.

Chemistry and Lovin' it. [Except for Pchem]
Minor in Economics for fun and as a GPA booster (Econ GPA 4.0+)

Its easier to be a science major in that you overlap with pre-reqs. I hate Bio and I am having to go back and take a couple more classes to meet pre-reqs

Business Administration...... then I went back to school for the prereqs.

Neurobiology/Physiology with a minor in English Language and Lit. (i don't know what i was thinking :p)

Drums & Concert Percussion Performance

Major in Biology (I love all living things) and minor in Chemistry/Mathematics. The Sciences ROCK!!!

Biomedical Engineering with a concentration in Systems and Control
Minor in Anthropology

Major - Psychology
Minor - Chemistry

Major: Comparative History of Ideas
Major: History
Minor: English

I figure it's good to be well rounded.

Biomedical Engineering with a concentration in Systems and Control
Minor in Anthropology
Biomedical rocks for med/dental school preparation...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Chemistry and Lovin' it. [Except for Pchem]
Minor in Economics for fun and as a GPA booster (Econ GPA 4.0+)

Its easier to be a science major in that you overlap with pre-reqs. I hate Bio and I am having to go back and take a couple more classes to meet pre-reqs

I live for quantum and thermo..... too bad it wasnt in dental school.. i would own it

I remember at one of my interviews, the admissions person said like 80% of applicants seem to major in biology. And guess what so did I. I'm glad I got accepted to dental school cause I couldn't imagine doing bio for the rest of my life.

BSA Agricultural Education
BS Animal & Vet Science
BS Environmental Microbiology
MS General Agriculture

Business-Economics...best decision i ever made. I loved it!

BSA Agricultural Education
BS Animal & Vet Science
BS Environmental Microbiology
MS General Agriculture

Geez..thats a lot of degrees:eek:. Can I ask how old you are?

I studied biochemistry with a business management minor. From everything that I have been able to tell from talking to dental students is that in terms of getting accepted to dental school, it doesn't really matter a whole lot what you major in. However, it is a huge help to you when you are at dental school if you have been a science major. The reason for that is that if you have been just taking the prereqs (2 science classes a semester) then it might be tough adjusting to the science load. But then again, it depends on you as a student. I personally have been taking 4-5 science classes a semester, and I think that I should be pretty well prepared to take on dental school.

Whatever you pick to major in, just make sure you take most of the biology major related classes. I know alot of students who were asked to take microbio, cellbio etc before entering dental school. Im not sure if this is true, but I remember reading the entering class stats for some schools, have a majority of biology majors. So overall it doesn't really matter what you major in but just take all the classes that most of the other students applying have taken.

MCG class of 2012 :)

I remember at one of my interviews, the admissions person said like 80% of applicants seem to major in biology. And guess what so did I. I'm glad I got accepted to dental school cause I couldn't imagine doing bio for the rest of my life.
hahah. Well Chemistry could have made a fun career. I really enjoyed synthesizing drugs and pfizer is hiring. :D

food science and human nutrition