What did you major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr2guysingh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time picking what should I major in. I've been told not to pick science, I'm already a business major, but I am thinking about switching so I dont have to take pre-req classes for business

Members don't see this ad.

Double major? I did Chemistry and Psychology with a Bio Minor!

I majored in German with a minor in chemistry. As long as you do well in the required science classes, it really doesn't make a difference! Find something you're passionate about to major in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in History
Minors in Biology and Chemistry

Pick something you like!

I agree, If I could change one thing about undergrad, I probably would have chosen a non-science major such as anthropology. I majored in Biochemistry and it is just too much science and I really had no time for any classes I was really interested in. Also, I think it sets you apart from all of the science majors that are applying.

I agree, If I could change one thing about undergrad, I probably would have chosen a non-science major such as anthropology. I majored in Biochemistry and it is just too much science and I really had no time for any classes I was really interested in. Also, I think it sets you apart from all of the science majors that are applying.

The evidence suggests otherwise- biology majors compete with biology majors, education majors compete with education majors, business with business, but you get the drift.

I couldn't agree more.
I did a major in international relations and worked for a foreign company doing translation work before I did my science pre-reqs. Got in to every school I applied to, and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I've got a lot of interesting stories to tell in interview situations about how I got where I am. :cool:

Don't do science unless you just really want to, because it does look a little generic. Then again, if you really dig science, do it. They just want to see a student who is good at doing great. You need to be the rockstar in every class you take, and every dental school will be falling all over you.

Its hard to actually do that, and in reality, I only got into 2 schools. I only applied to two, but still -just work your butt off in college,when everyone else is slacking and you won't have any trouble getting into school.

Good luck! :xf:

The evidence suggests otherwise- biology majors compete with biology majors, education majors compete with education majors, business with business, but you get the drift.

How can you be so sure??

I think majoring in something other than the sciences would be more interesting and make an applicant stand out more compared to the thousands of bio majors that apply, especially if the non-traditional student did well in both.

How can you be so sure??

I think majoring in something other than the sciences would be more interesting and make an applicant stand out more compared to the thousands of bio majors that apply, especially if the non-traditional student did well in both.

The percentages in the applicant pool parallel those in the enrollee pool. Check the figures in the link given in the earlier post. The "more interesting" part is in the eyes of the beholder.

Majored in biology with minors in chemistry and spanish, but do whatever interests you. You're going to be the one taking these classes for four years. :)

Biology as a major, and no minor for me.
Who told you particulary NOT to pick a science major? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far. You can major in anyfield; however I say do yourself a favor and major in biology. By majoring in biology, you will fulfill your dental school prerequisites and your major's courses at once. Anyhow, you are going to take science classes such as biology, chemistry and physics as dental school prerequisites. Why not start taking them earlier and get used to them? There are more intense science courses to come in dental school, and majoring in biology or anything close to it like chemistry will make you much more prepared for them and also for your DAT. Speaking generally, people majoring in science [such as bio, chem, etc] do better in their DAT [There are exceptions though]. This way, you will also save yourself a couple of years compared to majoring in arts, business or similar majors. Do not forget shadowing a dentist for a good amount of time, and checking out if you like the career.
BTW, who told you particulary NOT to pick a science major? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
majoring in biology and at this moment in life,
I feel like it's a load of ****.
Excuse my language.

Do what you want, not what you think schools would like to see.

majoring in biology and at this moment in life,
I feel like it's a load of ****.
Excuse my language.

Do what you want, not what you think schools would like to see.

lmao, why you say that?

Biology since it had the most pre-reqs for a dental school and I like biology/chem too ;)

I chose dual degree in Biology and Chemistry. Both are very interesting, but initially I was majoring in business.

I majored in Microbiology with a minor in Chem. It is what I liked, so I have no regrets.

Anthropology has a ton of applications in the real world. It helps you build some cultural sensitivity, especially if you're interested in global service or working with a diverse population down the road.

Plus, you can always collect Science minors with all the pre-reqs you'll be taking!

This old topic, huh? I'll weigh in the way I always do on this. Yes, major in something you like...but if you want to work in health care shouldn't science BE "something you like." I can't imagine wanting to be a doctor but hating biology. Yes you are going to take a bunch of it once in dental school but I'll tell you now...having a strong background in biology (especially physiology, histology, anatomy, biochem, etc.) really makes it easier. There is going to be a LOT of information thrown at you and even just having a foundation or remembering a little bit from undergrad because you had (say) 2 basic physio classes, will do wonders. Bio majors applying are a dime a dozen but thats because it is the most relevant to dental school classes.

(This is my opinion so take it as that) If, for example, Government was the major that interested you most in undergrad (more so than biology) why not try going down a career path that uses government. (again, this is my opinion) To me its like saying "Yea, I want to play baseball some day but right now soccer really interests me so I'll spend my next 4 years doing that and play baseball afterwards."

Bio major, no minor. I love biology but the major was just a bunch on random bio classes. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to a different university and double majored in public health and human nutrition and minored in spanish.

I majored in Biology and minored in Chemistry and Business Management. I think it is a great way to go and I don't think it is looked down upon by schools in any way. Just so you know the majority of people who get into dental school are science majors. Mostly because it is the most common type of major for those who apply, but if it didn't work then people would pick something else to major in. Besides it makes studying for the DAT a walk in the park if you have taken the pre-requistes and more.

picked the hardest major my school offers...Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Biology as a major, and no minor for me.
Who told you particulary NOT to pick a science major? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far. You can major in anyfield; however I say do yourself a favor and major in biology. By majoring in biology, you will fulfill your dental school prerequisites and your major's courses at once. Anyhow, you are going to take science classes such as biology, chemistry and physics as dental school prerequisites. Why not start taking them earlier and get used to them? There are more intense science courses to come in dental school, and majoring in biology or anything close to it like chemistry will make you much more prepared for them and also for your DAT. Speaking generally, people majoring in science [such as bio, chem, etc] do better in their DAT [There are exceptions though]. This way, you will also save yourself a couple of years compared to majoring in arts, business or similar majors. Do not forget shadowing a dentist for a good amount of time, and checking out if you like the career.
BTW, who told you particulary NOT to pick a science major? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far.

My schools science advisor told me not to major in science because I'm a business major...

My schools science advisor told me not to major in science because I'm a business major...

Atta-boy with the business major. I did Business and Accounting, but I'm a bad example because I went back for my science classes. I don't know if you're going to want a Finance major/concentration with all the extra science courses you're going to need to take. It's up to you, but Business is a real compatible (professionally) major for dental school.

This old topic, huh? I'll weigh in the way I always do on this. Yes, major in something you like...but if you want to work in health care shouldn't science BE "something you like." ...

(This is my opinion so take it as that) If, for example, Government was the major that interested you most in undergrad (more so than biology) why not try going down a career path that uses government. (again, this is my opinion) To me its like saying "Yea, I want to play baseball some day but right now soccer really interests me so I'll spend my next 4 years doing that and play baseball afterwards."

I totally agree. There will be plenty of time later to worry about making your application attractive to an admissions committee. Try to learn as much as you can in college and let your studies guide you to a profession, not the other way around.

I majored in Biology. I took most of the classes labeled as "highly recommended" by most D-schools and when I did the math, it left me 2 ecology courses (undergrad reqs) shy of a Bio major, so I stuck with that. I like it, but it does get a bit boring and repetitive after a while. Just make sure its something you enjoy, or at least can tolerate! I didn't minor so I got to take lots of random classes that interested me like Greek and Roman Civ, Anatomy dissection lab, and some class that we learned all the mathematics of airplane flight.

pick a major that you would be happy with having as a 'Plan B'. dentistry does not work out for some people, or some people have a change of heart. having investment in another field might make things better and less stressful for you. if Biology makes you happy, and you would be happy working in a Biology lab the rest of your life (if dentistry didnt work out), then great. if your heart is somewhere else, like business, that is great too. life needs happiness, so dont stress yourself out if you dont need/want to, by picking a science major. :)

Major in whatever you want, but if you do major in a science major the pre reqs for dental school along with a handful of recommendeds are all covered in within your major so you have to take less classes. If you major in any other field then you have to go back an take all your pre-reqs and that just means an extra workload on you before you start applying. Or like the previous poster you have to go back and take them after graduating even. So just plan ahead so you don't get overwhelemed and you will do fine.

Myself I chose Bioinfomatics and Genomics, but that is because I wanted the genetics background since my wife and I were having trouble with having children and the knowledge has helped me help her through our challenges.

Also I was double majoring in Spanish, but then I changed it to a minor and with my final year winding down I'm just tired of the wordload and so I will be 2 classes from a minor, but it doesn't show up anywhere on transcripts or my diploma so what does it manner. I'm bilingual that's all I need. :)