What did you make your facebook status when you got your first med school accept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting topic. How did you announce to the Facebook world that your friends will have a doctor friend in 4 years? Or did some of you skip this step and only privately told the special people.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dream of the day I can enter "Columbia College of P&S" on my Facebook, followed by hundred of congratulations from "friends" I haven't talked to in years.

That's what I call a subtle boast.

I think this is an interesting topic. How did you announce to the Facebook world that your friends will have a doctor friend in 4 years? Or did some of you skip this step and only privately told the special people.

This. However if you want to post something, post it. You bust your @$$ to get in, if you want to let facebook know, that's ok. Just try not to come off as boastful. There are likely people who are frustrated by the process.

I felt like ALOT of people at my undergrad were overboastful about their interviews/acceptances via facebook, and I really didn't want to come off that way.

Last edited:
I left it blank like I always do and told the people that were closest to me. You worked hard for it though, so if you want to pound your chest a little there's no problem with that. It's definitely not my style though

I posted: "...is having an absolutely fantastic day... even if she did get chewed out several times :-D"

My friend who was applying said something similar like "...had a awesome day!"

I feel like that's enough to celebrate without gloating... and generally all of your family and friends will start a list of congratulations in the comments section, even if you meant to be discrete.

I just went for it: rhesuspieces GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

I hadn't ever posted a braggy status before or since, so I thought i'd give myself just one.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

It drives me bonkers when people post anything about med school on their facebook or gchat status. Your facebook friends who are applying in the same cycle might not be as fortunate as you with acceptances. Just tell your close friends in person.

On a related note, how important is facebook to connect with people in your class in med school? It seems everyone uses facebook to communicate with each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a related note, how important is facebook to connect with people in your class in med school? It seems everyone uses facebook to communicate with each other.

Med school people, at least at mine, seem to prefer e-mail. Mass e-mail. Club/Interest Group meetings, volunteer opportunities, summer research/trips, parties, social calendar, or even if you lost something.

No status.

Mentioned it when a friend of mine who moved specifically asked me, and some people responded to that afterward. I prefer celebrations in person and the real world, but if I got into a top choice or a place I loved during interview, maybe I'll say something due to the surprise, but for the most part I think its better done with friends or family and with a glass in hand.

Hell yes I put it up on facebook. There's no way I would have been able to tell all my friends individually (I waited about a week though so I could tell all of my closest friends/family). So updating status makes it a lot easier. Plus, it is one of the milestones in your life.. don't you want to share it with people? I think it's a bit over the top to avoid putting it up in order to prevent other people from being jealous..

When I've had people, even ones that I wasn't close to, post updates about getting accepted to med school -- I congratulated them. They just did something really awesome, and I'm not gonna let my own insecurity get in the way of celebrating their victory.

you worked hard for it

I think you should be able to rub it into all those people in highschool who thought you would never amount to anything.

I think you should be able to rub it into all those people in highschool who thought you would never amount to anything.

I see this sentiment frequently here. Is this really that common? People in high school trashing each other? I mean, even if I thought that about someone (which I never had a reason to), why would I ever say that to someone?

funny thing is that I only told those closest to me in person or on the phone and THEY all wrote on my facebook wall or tagged me in statuses congratulating me... therefore, it's still ALL OVER my page even though I didn't do it directly lol.

It's still nice to let those other people who you don't speak to as often know about the good news. Lately it's been an excuse to get back in touch since I might be coming back home :)

It drives me bonkers when people post anything about med school on their facebook or gchat status. Your facebook friends who are applying in the same cycle might not be as fortunate as you with acceptances. Just tell your close friends in person.

If anyone on my facebook got pissed at me over posting about my acceptance, they probably weren't a friend anyway, and thus probably shouldn't be friends with me on facebook.

Hell yes I put it up on facebook. There's no way I would have been able to tell all my friends individually (I waited about a week though so I could tell all of my closest friends/family). So updating status makes it a lot easier. Plus, it is one of the milestones in your life.. don't you want to share it with people? I think it's a bit over the top to avoid putting it up in order to prevent other people from being jealous..

When I've had people, even ones that I wasn't close to, post updates about getting accepted to med school -- I congratulated them. They just did something really awesome, and I'm not gonna let my own insecurity get in the way of celebrating their victory.

This :thumbup::thumbup:

you worked hard for it

I see this sentiment frequently here. Is this really that common? People in high school trashing each other? I mean, even if I thought that about someone (which I never had a reason to), why would I ever say that to someone?

Although I already deleted most of the people from HS who tried to put me down, I could definitely see getting into MD school as a cool victory to let those naysayers see.

BTW, I posted "ACCEPTED! GONNA BE A DOCTOR!"

32e2cd67-17db-438d-b250-1c55dae4e442.jpg

"Holy white coat, Batman!! Momma's gonna be a doctor!!! Accepted!!!!"

I told everyone close to me first though.

To post a serious reply, after I found out about my acceptance (my dad read my acceptance letter over the phone!), I called my family and close friends first. Afterwards, I made my status on fb (I rarely log onto fb) to "First acceptance to medical school! I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!" I was very happy and proud.

When i got accepted, i didn't have a facebook page....

"HW51Revisited was accepted to University of Oklahoma College of Medicine"

I was too exhausted to call people other than my parents and sister so I just let all my friends find out that way

It was mainly the teachers. I was the kid in HS who would always get sent outside for talking or some bs like that. Im sure no one thought that I had much of a future except my parents who always knew I had potential. So if I get in somewhere it would be kinda cool to let all the people who thought I couldn't do much know I got into med school.

Med school people, at least at mine, seem to prefer e-mail. Mass e-mail. Club/Interest Group meetings, volunteer opportunities, summer research/trips, parties, social calendar, or even if you lost something.

rofl

I just went for it: rhesuspieces GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

Yup, my current status (just got my first acceptance 2 days ago) is very similar.

I never got that much flack in high school... late grade school (middle school) was a lot worse. Hmmm... I wouldn't mind letting those tools know I'm going to medical school now, but I'm not FB friends with those trashy losers anyway. :smuggrin:

I love this.

i've never facebragged in my life, but my status will be "got into ____...time to burn it up!"

nothing, close friends/family.

now if I ever compete and win a golden gloves, that **** is getting tattooed on my forehead.

Nothing.
Told close friends. Family members as well.

I will not be surprised this year (since I'm suggesting this now) if someone changed a status to

... is taking my talents to [medical school].

If one really is going to Miami for medical school, even better. :)

I don't think Facebook had status updates when I got accepted. It had only been available at my school (remember when it was only available to college students?) for several months.

Everyone communicates via facebook and everyone posts accomplishments on Facebook too, such as passing Step 1. I posted on FB that I passed Step 1 subtlety and got like 30-40 messages within a few hours :eek:

I didn't see the point, I felt I'd come off as bragging, though mostly because I don't really post that many statuses anyway

planned post: "vandyam will officially have two very expensive letters at the end of her name:[insert M.D., or D.O. here]"

...or maybe even leave off the last part, not sure.

planned post: "vandyam will officially have two very expensive letters at the end of her name:[insert M.D., or D.O. here]"

...or maybe even leave off the last part, not sure.
I would say "Vandyam will official have two very expensive letters at the beginning of her name....D and r."

I don't think Facebook had status updates when I got accepted. It had only been available at my school (remember when it was only available to college students?) for several months.

Senior year of high school, we were all waiting to get our college e-mail addresses so we could join facebook. Ah, those were the times.

Reactions: 1 user
Copy and pasted my acceptance email. The only people on my facebook page are close friends/family so they loved it.

funny thing is that I only told those closest to me in person or on the phone and THEY all wrote on my facebook wall or tagged me in statuses congratulating me... therefore, it's still ALL OVER my page even though I didn't do it directly lol.

It's still nice to let those other people who you don't speak to as often know about the good news. Lately it's been an excuse to get back in touch since I might be coming back home :)
sorta same. my profile was deactivated cuz i was advised to as some adcoms might go on your profile but my cousin and a friend wrote it on their statuses with my name so common friends saw it and congratulated me!!