What # did you match on your ROL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone matched below #5 in their ROL for IM...

Will be happy with any program in my top 5, but things get a little bit weird after that...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm the same way but in my top two. Its going to be a long month.

If you go through the prior match threads you will find 3 or 4 people in the past 4 years who post matching >#5 on their ROLs. That's skewed because 1) SDN has superstars and 2) not everyone crushed by Match Day results will run to the forum to post. You also know that about 1 in 7 who match will do so at position #4 or worse on their ROL list thanks to the NRMP data.

Members don't see this ad :)
#7 overall (my personal #2 but I couples matched which is a different beast entirely)

Doesn't the NRMP website provide statistics on stuff like this?

Reactions: 2 users
When I matched for IM I got my number 12, it was the only internal medicine program I applied to and dead last on my list. Arguably the worst day I've had in the past ten years, easy. Was and still am very unhappy with it, but I have a job, a paycheck and will be allowed to take the insanely useless and expensive test at the end that allows me to move up the ladder to fellowship. So, it could have been worse. If you asked me before fellowship match day I would have told you with absolute certainty that I would have been happier scrambling and trying again.

When I matched for IM I got my number 12, it was the only internal medicine program I applied to and dead last on my list. Arguably the worst day I've had in the past ten years, easy. Was and still am very unhappy with it, but I have a job, a paycheck and will be allowed to take the insanely useless and expensive test at the end that allows me to move up the ladder to fellowship. So, it could have been worse. If you asked me before fellowship match day I would have told you with absolute certainty that I would have been happier scrambling and trying again.

What specialty(s) did you try to match primarily? and did interviewers at the time bring up dual application? curious because also dual applying Derm/IM

is there any correlation between USMLEs and matching on #1? if yes , how strong is the correlation ?
I couldn't find any data

What specialty(s) did you try to match primarily? and did interviewers at the time bring up dual application? curious because also dual applying Derm/IM
Emergency medicine and I told the truth - I was told I would have an interview at the medicine program and it was going to be very early in the application cycle so I took it. I'm an IMG so I figured I couldn't afford to turn anything down. Maybe I shot myself in the foot for being honest, maybe not. I don't know what they see about me so if I lie or dodge the question maybe that looks worse.