What did you put as your "preferred" address??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What did you use as your preferred address?

• Home address, duh

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • School address

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Summer program address

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about on the AMCAS by the way.

I'm wondering because next summer I'm planning on doing research at a summer program (Late May-early August), going abroad to do some sort of volunteer work and have fun (early August to early September), going home for a bit, and then going to school.

So what should I put as my preferred address? I'd like to get all my stuff sent to my school while I'm in school, but definitely want to minimize delays if I'm receiving secondaries while I'm at a summer program or abroad (hopefully I'll get all my secondaries in by early August)... Should I just ask them to send it home and do mail forwarding?

Another question: about how many of your secondaries were received via snail mail instead of electronically?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of the 30+ schools I applied to, I didn't get any secondaries via mail nor have I received any mail from any schools... so I think you are over thinking it.

Of course, I put my lab office as my preferred address. Potentially all my mail is lost somewhere on my campus.

If you attend school in the same state your home address is, I would just send it home. For me the preferred address is important because I am applying to a few schools in the state I reside in for school, and I want them to know I live here

gf's address, most permanent in my situation

none by snail mail

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't forget to tip your waitress!

Okay, real answer. I'm pretty sure your address is just about the only thing you can edit after you submit AMCAS, right? So you may be able to change your preferred address when you're primarily in a different location.

But to echo one of the PPs, so far, I haven't gotten anything really important in snail mail from any school. The only thing I got from any of the schools I actually applied to was a brochure from UPenn about their curriculum. It's really not that big of a deal.

You can changed it after submission. I changed it immediately after verification to my office because I thought I might be moving -- ended up not moving.

Decided not to switch it back because by then many medical schools had already received my application and I would have to contact each of them about my new preferred address (which has been updated on AMCAS)... and that's too much work... but you can do it. Many secondaries do ask to verify your preferred mailing address.

Awesome - thank you guys for the responses. I'm especially glad to hear no one got mailed much stuff!

I was waiting to see somebody give their real address