Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What did YOU talk about in your vision essay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by saffron, Jul 4, 2001.

1. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I basically just talked about some experiences I've had in the past and how I want to encorporate them into my medical practice. Other people told me that they are looking for specific things, however, like whether you want to be in private practice or with a group of people, city or rural, what type of medicine, and how your personal life fits in. I didn't say anything about my personal life. So now I'm really confused :confused: - should I change it? I just want to turn this thing in!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Who knows? This is the first year they've had this vision essay on the apps.... I don't think you have to be sooooo specific about what you'd want to do.... I think what you did was fine, but then again, that's an opinion of but one person.... good luck.

3. paisley

paisley Member
    7+ Year Member

Saffron, if it isn't too late, I would recommend trying to add something about your personal life into the Vision statement since the prompt very specifically asks you to discuss both your medical practice and you personal life ten years from now. But this is just my opinion...

4. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just randomly picked a specialty 'surgery'and just described my life and patient care.

I am sure med schools are quite open about this essay.

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some secondaries do ask you about your vision.... so I think med school might just look at these, then again... maybe not....

6. MoeDaMan

MoeDaMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Saffron,

Picture this image :D Amcas has another power outage, the system is down for a whole week. They come back the following monday, and say "Because of the power outage, for some reason, all of our backup server's info was erased! We apologize, but we are requesting all applicants to retype all their info back into their application"

now ain't that a pretty site? :D If I were in your shoes, I would hit the submit button.....I don't know why pple make such a big deal about essays. Personally, this is my belief, just think about it. Lets say a person has a 24 on mcat, and a 3.4 gpa. You think a STRONG essay is going to get him into medschool? my point is, I don't feel essays are the determining factor! ;)

7. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

actually many adcoms weigh essays pretty heavily. i knew someone who got an interview at duke even though his numbers were significantly below their averages--he was actually told at his interview that they chose to interview him solely because they liked his essays.

besides, the essays are your only chance to 'communicate' directly with adcoms in ways that stats can't convey. stats can't indicate your motivation to go into medicine--they are only an indication of how well you did in your classes or how well you did on one particular day on a standardized test. essays, on the other hand, are a way for you to fill in the blanks about your desire to go into medicine, and many adcoms use them as the deciding factor when trying to choose between two similarly-qualified applicants. i used my essays to say as much as i can about myself and to give adcoms more of an idea of who i am and why i am pursuing this career path.

that said, to respond to saffron, in my practice vision essay i simply discussed what areas of medicine appealed to me and why. no one is expecting you to have a clear-cut idea of what you want to do with yourself as a doctor, so i wouldn't stress too much about this essay. and i really don't believe that there is some set list of things you need to address in this essay. you are simply asked to describe your life/practice a decade from now--what this really means is up for interpretation and how you do this is up to you. there is no 'right' way to answer this question. personally i think your approach to this essay was perfectly fine!

good luck!

8. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Here's a stupid question for you guys. I applied back in the old days when we couldn't even do the AMCAS application on the computer. :eek:

So what is this new vision essay you guys have to do? Is it in addition to your personal statement, or does it replace it?

9. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Check this out so I won't have to repeat myslef: vision essay -- guidelines?

ajm: Yeah, it's a new essay, about half a page in length. It is in addition to the personal statement. The prompt AMCAS gives you for it is something like, "Discuss how you envision your life and medical practice in ten years."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, i also agree that the essays are really important. basically, i heard ad coms will look at the vision essay to see if you understand what you are getting yourself into for the next ten years. but how do you convey that in a half a page? i feel like everyone and their grandmother will say something like, "I want to be married and have kids and have a succesful practice in (fill in your speciality here)." :rolleyes:

11. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The essay is VERY important to getting accepted. This was told to me by the admissions director at a medical school I talked to. She said the essay is what sets you apart from all those applying. It is where you have the chance to say "Hey look at me and MY reason why I want to be a doctor."
    She said they have turned down people with better numbers and a bad essay for people with lower numbers but a better, more heartfilled essay. Put a big emphasis on it and do the best you can possibly do. Set yourself apart from the other applicants.

In my vision essay I expanded on my theme from my personal essay and explained what speciality I was interested in, why, what I would like to have in my practice, where I would practice and how I envisioned myself handling problems that came up with my patients and their families.

12. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I also disagree with MoDaMan.......I think the essays are very important for adcoms. Many individuals I have known who have been through the process say the same.

13. kltmd

kltmd Member
    7+ Year Member

This essay was a great way to be unique. Not only to share your medical career goals, but to share your personal goals. Which of your hobbies do you want to continue? If you plan to have children, how do you see them fitting into your life with a medical career (especially for women)? In what kind of area do you want to practice (rural or urban)? Is there anything new you'd like to try (other than medicine)? Just a few thoughts... :)

14. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I totally agree. Essay is where you can demonstrate what makes you different from others. I didn't write a single sentence about why I want to become a doctor. I just talked about what kind of person I am.