What did you think of the Calculator?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do some students say the calculator we get to use screws them up?

It's just the calculator on a Windows computer, right?

I've been playing with it, and it doesn't mess up for me. There is no lag...(I realize this has to do with individual computers but still...) ....Why would the calculator at the testing center provide lag?

Members don't see this ad.

Read my thread 'Calculator Conspiracy Theory' and you'll understand why you should avoid the calculator at all costs.

What I believe causes the issues is whatever software that is used to log everything you do from what you picked, marked, changed, amount of time etc. Remember they say that they will analyze your test for irregularities/patterns if something comes up. If you log everything a person does it makes your job easier.

During the tutorial period it works perfectly fine as it would on even the oldest and slowest computer. I mean there's no need to log what people are doing during the tutorial period. doesn't have any part in their score.

In any case, just don't rely on the calculator and you'll be fine. I used the calculator once to double check 1 question as it was way too easy that I had to do a double take since I never expected I would get such an easy question and thought they were trying to trick me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The calculator might come in handy for questions like ranking the highest to lowest fractions if you don't wanna use the '3 step method', or weird ass numeric questions where you need to simplify the numbers before getting the answer. Other than that, I think it's a waste of time.

The calculator messed me up. I was practicing with windows calc and it seemed perfect. I would always finish practice tests with time to spare and got 21+ on all QR practice but on the real, I got a 19. The math wasn't harder...but as far as the calculator goes it:
1. Doesn't automatically clear itself after you finish a calculation (like normal calcs do).
2. Sometimes you have to punch in the number twice or click hard for it to register.
Those 2 things make the calculator super annoying. I had one simple problem and I was recalculating 2300 x 1300 about 3 times because I couldn't get used to the issues of the calc. (I hate doing long multiplication by hand because I always mess up if I'm in a rush so I needed the calculator). Towards the end of the test I got used to clearing each calculation and punching in numbers carefully, but I wasted too much time in the beginning to do as well as I could have ;/. If you are going to use the calculator, be very aware of these 2 issues. If you can find a way to practice with a crappy calculator, do that.
And also be aware that by the end of this thing when you're trying to do math, you are mentally drained. Even if you do multiple practice tests and feel fine doing QR, when you are at the end of the real test...your brain is like : @_@ x_x o_O #_#.

The calculator messed me up. I was practicing with windows calc and it seemed perfect. I would always finish practice tests with time to spare and got 21+ on all QR practice but on the real, I got a 19. The math wasn't harder...but as far as the calculator goes it:
1. Doesn't automatically clear itself after you finish a calculation (like normal calcs do).
2. Sometimes you have to punch in the number twice or click hard for it to register.
Those 2 things make the calculator super annoying. I had one simple problem and I was recalculating 2300 x 1300 about 3 times because I couldn't get used to the issues of the calc. (I hate doing long multiplication by hand because I always mess up if I'm in a rush so I needed the calculator). Towards the end of the test I got used to clearing each calculation and punching in numbers carefully, but I wasted too much time in the beginning to do as well as I could have ;/. If you are going to use the calculator, be very aware of these 2 issues. If you can find a way to practice with a crappy calculator, do that.
And also be aware that by the end of this thing when you're trying to do math, you are mentally drained. Even if you do multiple practice tests and feel fine doing QR, when you are at the end of the real test...your brain is like : @_@ x_x o_O #_#.

ms vics! did you try the calc during the tutorial portion of the dat? if so was it the same as it was later on? Im currently practicing with the windows on and I always hit clear and sometimes it spazzes (but overall im careful with it and it saves time)

also do you have to put the zero before a decimal point or can you just do .50?

also do you have to put the zero before a decimal point or can you just do .50?

Just put the .50 or .5 and realize it's the same thing as .50
(I'm not trying to be condescending, as I am very sure you know .5 = .50 ...just trying to help you save time) :)
The calculator won't even let you put in zeroes before the decimal...if you try to put 2 zeroes in before the decimal it will NOT let you. sucks.

Just put the .50 or .5 and realize it's the same thing as .50
(I'm not trying to be condescending, as I am very sure you know .5 = .50 ...just trying to help you save time) :)
The calculator won't even let you put in zeroes before the decimal...if you try to put 2 zeroes in before the decimal it will NOT let you. sucks.

cofo i mean, if you had to punch in 0.5 vs .5
I am aware of .5=.50 :D